R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwired for solar...sorta! (MC4s on the roof)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
podwerkz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: wired for solar...sorta! (MC4s on the roof)
    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:37pm
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:24pm
You might want to look at my thread from awhile ago on adding an adjustable thermostat rather than a snap switch. It was a very inexpensive and an easy mod. Should be from late summer or early fall. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I found that I was initally wasting a lot of water getting the temp adjusted, so I put in an adjustable thermostat and set it at about 106 degrees (a little lower in summer and warmer in winter). After that I only use the hot water valve, no mixing required, so no waste and the flow rate is also reduced. I don't even use 2 gal in the 1.5 minutes. 

I saw a neat feature in the Rockwood Geo Pro that recirculated the cold water until the desired shower temp was reached. 

I'm planning on changing the thermostats on the water heater to a lower temp 'snap switch'...they are commonly available. On my old motorhome, the water heater had an adjustable thermostat, but the pod doesn't have that. What I do now is just 'cook' the water for 15-20 minutes or so, and then shut off the switch and shower in the warm water with the 'hot' knob on and the 'cold' knob off.

Changing the snap switch thermostats and the shower head should ease up on propane and water consumption.

Like I said, it NEVER ends. Ouch

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:22pm
I own two of those solar shower bags, they work. But I'm trying to consolidate what I have to bring, pack, store, set up, use, clean, drain, etc. Plus those need a spot to hang, and yeah I can rig up something, but lifting and hanging them when full is a bother. I didn't buy the pod with it's shower to just look at it! 

I already own a little privy tent, and the 2 gallon garden sprayer with a long hose and a kitchen sink spray head works well....but I'm trying to get away from all the hassle of setting that up along with everything else at a campsite, especially when in transit and boondocking overnight at a walmart parking lot or a rest area. 

If the difference in water use is only 2 gallons (and not carrying all the other stuff) I can live with that, but if I can find a lo-flo showerhead, maybe it will help.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:11pm
An "official" navy shower is 30 seconds water use to get wet. Water off. Soap. One minute water use to rinse. You might try running the shower into your bucket for 1.5 minutes and see what you get at your normal flow rate setting. 

I found that I was initally wasting a lot of water getting the temp adjusted, so I put in an adjustable thermostat and set it at about 106 degrees (a little lower in summer and warmer in winter). After that I only use the hot water valve, no mixing required, so no waste and the flow rate is also reduced. I don't even use 2 gal in the 1.5 minutes. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:51am
We've carried a solar shower a few times when we were backpacking.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:39am
If you're into taking outdoor showers, consider on of these:  https://www.amazon.com/Facelink-Outdoor-Camping-Climbing-Portable/dp/B0717BQCD4/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3_sspa?keywords=solar+h2o+camp+shower&qid=1554223007&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

Then you don't have to use any gas to heat the water.  I've used one on a sail boat and if it's warm outside they give you a comfortable warm shower.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:13am
The BattleBorn is co-located in the under-seat cabinet along with the charger/converter (LFP dont off-gas and you know, If I run into an embankment and have a run-away Tesla Bonfire, oh well, stuff happens!)

This BattleBorn battery is electrically isolated (except for a common ground) from the other trailer systems. it has its own charging system, separate from the 'house' systems.

I cut a rectangular hole (and added trim) and mounted the inverter so it is accessible thru that opening. BTW I reinforced the thin plywood pieces under the cushions and the vertical separator panel with 1 by 2's...a lot less 'give' now...I'm not a little person!

Yeah I kinda need the big table top, just not the heavy folding base it came with. I have a couple of lightweight folding tables for outside but I want something sturdy in the pod for my radios, laptops, etc.

I placed a 5 gallon bucket under the grey drain and took a 'navy' shower in the pod.... and even with efforts to conserve water, the bucket was nearly full, about 4 gallons I'm guessing.

I can take a camp shower with my garden pump sprayer (with kitchen sink sprayhead) when boondocking and only use about 2 gallons. I need to find a lo-flo shower head for the pod.... 

It never ends!

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:33am
We also got rid of that table top.  It's stored in the garage in case we ever need to turn the dinette into a bed.  If you want a real light weight table that fits the dinette area very nicely, Costco sells a LifeTime card table with short legs so it's about the height of a coffee table.  You can attach a thin backing plate of plywood and a pedestal mount on it and viola, you have a light weight table that can also be taken outside to work as a coffee table.  It weighs under 10#.  We also eliminated our tele, replaced all the light bulbs with LED's and with our 100 W solar panel and 2 - 6v batteries can stay out indefinitely.  Tankage becomes the limiting factor.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:24am
Sounds kewl. Where did you end up locating the Battleborn battery and the inverter? How about the connector for the portable solar? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>