Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Bicycle for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Bicycle for Camping?
    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 3:37pm
Maybe a silly question but trying to balance out the pros-and cons of various types and makes of  bicycles for camping. There is so much diversity in our interest from beaches to mountains..

Is there a most versatile that won't break the bank.   Seriously have been checking pawn shops and craigslist  .  We don't want anything expensive that may be lost , stolen, or damaged. on a trip.  I think we do want something with larger tires (off road type) vs a road bike made for speed.   A light weight frame would be good but has to be strong as well.   Preferred method of carry would be a bike rack on the back of the Pod.  I can carry in the back of the truck if needed  but that would take up a lot of my storage and packing space.  Finding something for better half is my biggest concern.

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 3:54pm
We just have a couple of Trek hard-tail mountain bikes we use locally for almost any riding condition. They don't have "knobby" tires, so we can ride them on hard surfaces without excessive vibration and noise. They weren't exactly cheap, but they are not exotic either. They're both 21 speed, so they each have what is called a triple crank.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:44pm
For a good 20 years we have been Trek fans, everything from mountain to road bikes, even a 21 speed tandem, lots of great memories.  For the last 12 years we have moved from Trek to Specialized, which has a great selection of mountain as well as road bikes engineered and designed for older riders.  My DW really appreciates her Specialized Sirrus road bike; with her artificial knee riding is not near as painful as it was with other bikes.  Like the Trek's, these are not cheap either, but then again, you get what you pay for.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:47pm
If you're just riding around on pavement, i suggest gettting a couple of folding bikes. You can keep them in the TV or the trailer, you don't need to fool around with a rack and strapping them or locking them up, and you can use them when you're not camping for a variety of things as well.  That's what I do. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 6:25pm
Check your local Craigslist, there's usually a lot of bikes to be had for reasonable prices. If you're interested!
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 6:28pm
A word of caution:  Be careful buying second had bikes from private parties.  A lot of them are stolen and in the very unlikely chance that an id check is run on the serial number, it may be a little inconvenient.  

You can find a good selection of used bikes at shops that repair bikes.  And you have the benefit of a legitimate bill of sale.  They also go through the bikes and make sure everything is working properly.  

As for carrying the bikes on the back of the Pod, the 1 1/4" receiver can hold a lightweight 2 bike rack with two relatively light bikes, but if things get heavier, you could find your receiver has broken loose and your bikes are about 20 miles behind you.  There are some good bike racks that fit the receiver on Amazon.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 6:41pm
Just a short note from a guy with an obscene amount of money tied up in bikes over the decades.. and still a half dozen in the stable between us..

Based on the OP's question.. and experience..

Light, strong, inexpensive.. pick 2.

Our current "all around" camping bike is a Bike Friday Tandem Twosday. Very handy.
If going somewhere I think some mountain biking may be an option, I load up a pair of Fisher Sugar 1's...

We also believe in roof top carry..

TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:51pm
What are your thoughts on Cannondale?  A stopped by a local Pawn and they had one out front.  I didn't check the price as I always thought they were very heavy construction due to a 400+ pound buddy  of mine had bought one a few years back...   The one at the pawn had Disk Brakes. I've never seen that on a bike before.  
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:17am
I've always considered Cannondale as being a premium bike maker. They do make some fine machines, but I've never seriously considered getting one because of the price of admission. I was really intrigued with one of their mountain bikes once, but I wasn't ready to spend over $5K. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:27am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I've always considered Cannondale as being a premium bike maker. They do make some fine machines, but I've never seriously considered getting one because of the price of admission. I was really intrigued with one of their mountain bikes once, but I wasn't ready to spend over $5K. 

Been looking at their website.  Wow, they are proud of their bikes.  I had no idea they were that much.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>