R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod 179

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod 179
    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:04pm
Looking to buy a R Pod 179. Could anyone tell me about when the slide is in. Not worried about the table, but how much room between the bathroom and the ends of the dinette. Also could the ends of the dinette, to open more floor space, be set on the bed when the slide is in? Thank you.
GIAKIN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:43pm
   When the slide is in, you still have a fully functional camper. When traveling, you can pull over and have your bath available for potty breaks and also open the fridge and make a sandwich.
   The kitchen drawers are blocked by the slide, but can be opened a little so that you can still reach in and get something. The slide comes in over the top of the ottomans, so they are hidden beneath the dinette seat.
   I suppose, if you wanted or needed to, you could camp just fine without ever extending the slide.
   We love our 179!!!
2018 R-Pod 179
2015 Tacoma PreRunner
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:39pm
We also are very pleased with our 179.  We took out the heavy dinette table and replaced it with a smaller, folding table that we can easily use outside or inside.  We fold it up and place it on the bed while traveling.  I cut a 3/4" piece of plywood 74"x15" that I keep under the bottom cushion of the dinette seat and place it on the two ottomans for a bed.  We replaced that wrappy couch back with one that is 74"x15"x3" and that lays on the board to make a twin bed if needed.  It gives us more seating room and is more comfortable.  Enjoy!
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:53pm
You can look at my mods to see what I did to make our dinette more usable. There are also a lot of other mods which you might find helpful. As for the bathroom, when the slide is in, the table gets stowed on top of the dinette cushions unless you do a mod like mine. Then it stows between the ottomans and becomes part of the base for the bed. Either way, between the slide-out and the bathroom door, there is sufficient room to clear so you are not locked out of the bath (or locked in as the case may be) if the slide is in.

The ottoman closest to the bed can be removed since it is essentially empty and just fastened to the floor with a few screws. The one closer to the refrigerator is different. Remove the top and you will see wiring and other things inside. One of my mods was to build a divider to cover the wiring and make a little usable storage space in there. We use the one near the bed for shoes.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:39am
we often stop at a Walmart or similar quick over nighter in our 179 and do not extend the slide. Everything except some kitchen drawers are available for use.

We use both ottomans for essential storage.  The one closest to the bed has all of our cleaning supplies, toilet tank chemicals, lubes, etc
 I built a top over the wiring in the rear ottoman and we store all of our extra shoes in that space.
we love our 179. It replaced the 173 that we owned for 5 years.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:52pm
We are able to access almost everything easily, with slide retracted, as others have said. The below-counter kitchen cupboard only opens a few inches with the slide in. We use it for extras & replenishables mostly, but in any case nothing that we can't do without for a few days when camping.  Our 2017 179 (green, bought new summer 2016) is parked here at home so we just retracted the slide to check the drawers to be sure. We have not extended the drawers or done other mods to them. So the top one comes out all the way, and the 2nd and 3rd almost all the way, so we can reach everything that's in them. And yeah, easy access to bathroom and bed and all other storage, no problem. We did remove the ottoman nearest the bed and that works great for us. I'm just short enough that I had trouble reaching into the cabinets over the dinette with the ottoman in the way. Plus we love the roominess without it. Hope that helps!
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply