R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMany Issues with 2019 R-pod 180 - Event Date: 01 Jan 2019 - 14 Mar 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Many Issues with 2019 R-pod 180
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:54am
I just purchased a brand new 2019 R-pod 180 and I have had many issues with it. I have not had it out on a trip yet. These are things that either the dealership discovered when they received the unit or things I discovered while inspecting the unit at my home and while I was prepping the unit for future trips. I want to add that the dealership, Harrison's Marine and RV in Redding, CA covered all these repairs under warranty, but my frustration is there are so many issues which I feel are significant and unusual in that the unit is brand new. Many of the issues have to do with mistakes and oversights by technicians who built it. Also an issue is the lack of quality control by Forest River during there so called “systematic quality test” and “Pre-Delivery Inspection” which FR touts on their website. Anyway, I will list all the shortcoming and deficiencies here. I've also sent a letter to Forest River. I will follow-up on this forum when I get a response from them.

1. Water leak into interior at rear wall seams in bathroom. The water was leaking through the roof into the interior wall. The rear spoiler had to be resealed. Also, there is a hole under the spoiler which allows wiring to be routed to the row of LED lights on the spoiler which was not sealed. No caulking or sealant was applied to this hole.
  2. Water reservoir tank front support cross member not secured flush to frame. A gap exists between the support and frame. The screws are tight, but this will not maintain enough clamping force against the frame to support the weight.
  3. Bathroom door outside finish stain scuffed and discolored. Actually looks like some type of glue or residue. Also a couple of deep scratches on the lower portion.
  4. Staples sticking out on dinette seat back.
  5. Grease blob present in water tank fill inlet neck.
  6. Trim torn on cabinet door opening under sink in bathroom.
  7. Kitchen faucet valve leaking onto counter .
  8. Front oval work light on front of trailer moisture contaminated and inoperative. Light was replaced. Wire was also disconnected at the switch in the right front storage compartment. The mounting of the flush mounted switch and wire lead connection was not aligned with the cut hole in the mounting surface causing the wire spade connection to become disconnected.
  9. Wall between bed and kitchen slide-out has a couple of dents - they were hidden under the large round sticker advertisement about the Forest River app.
  10. Electrical feed wires that feed the electric awning exposed, not water proofed and not secured to avoid chafing.
  11. Gas line that runs under the front of the trailer was not secured properly. The screw was stripped on one of the insulated wire clamps and the screw fell out leaving the gas line to hang. Clamp was also too small for the gas line.
  12. All cabinet door catch mechanisms mounted incorrectly with countersunk screws instead of cap head screws causing the mounting surface of catch mechanism to become distorted and dented. This in turn resulted in the mechanism not being tightened down correctly and loosening up.
  13. Front LED tongue light inoperative. The switch was inoperative and replaced. This is the switch mounted next to the tongue lift switch.
  14. Exterior bulb-seal between kitchenette slide out pulled loose. Was mounted to close to runner causing it to pull out. Also, bulb seal on interior slide out flange was not attached at the top section.
  15. Black and gray water overboard dump valve assembly hanger mount bolt and nut were hand tight and nut was almost ready to fall off. Replaced with nylon locking nuts. This could have been catastrophic if the hanger failed and the drain pipes came loose while towing.
  16. Door flange on the exterior top right of door not screwed down flush against the side of the body and caulking exposed. The screw was broken at the shaft and the head of the screw was just sitting in the hole. (See figures 18, 19 and 20) I also included a picture of the top left part of the exterior door flange to show what it should look like when correctly installed and sealed.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:51am
Good grief, that's terrible.  You are lucky you have a dealer who is supporting you in getting these things fixed.  I hope you can get all the issues resolved.  If they keep coming up, take a look at the CA lemon law, you may want to start keeping the required notes on repairs and time in the shop.  

Shame on FR for letting these sort of problems get past their "quality" control team.  They may need to rethink some of their production practices and give their employees a little more time to do their work properly.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
wvanauken View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:13am
Thank you for your response and suggestions. I will be following up on this when I get a response from Forest River. Bill
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:47am
i have your item 2 as well    it has held up.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
wvanauken View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:56am
I suggested to the dealership that a spacer be fabricated and installed between the flange on cross member water tank support and the frame. They did this and it is OK now. This will provide a good mechanical clamping force to complete the bond between frame and the cross-member. If that bond isn't there, then you are relying on those two little self-drilling screws to hold all the weight of the water tank. I would recommend that you have this fix done.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:43am
The little gap at one end or the other of that tank support seems to be a common issue. Ours doesn't have the issue, so there must be too much variation in the length of the support, or the the frame, or both.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:49pm
I drilled out one hole in each support and added a stainless steel bolt with washers and lock nut (could have used lock washers and regular nut also) because my supports also had the gap issue. Since doing this, I haven't had to worry about it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:33pm
We haven't had any issues with our 190.  (Knock on wood!)
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:40pm
There really is no such thing as a quality control check for any RV built.  When done it leaves the floor.  This is unlike cars in which there is a final inspection team and random units are pulled and really tested.  A dealer once told me they are the final inspectors and that they are paid to go over all RVs and fix everything BEFORE it leaves the showroom.  The same dealer told me of all FR products they sell the  RPODS have the most issues to fix.  This is the reason who you buy from is critical for purchasing any RV.  But the issues are usually straight forward and fixed.  Should it be this way? Of course not.  But that is the RV business and goes beyond an RPOD issue.  Nobody wants to buy the last RPOD made the day before xmas holiday when  there is a short staff to begin with but thats life. As was posted earlier it may be better to buy a slightly used RPOD as the whatever will break already did and was fixed.  When we sold ours after only a year it was better than new!
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 3:58pm
Never buy an RV that was made on Monday or Friday... or after lunch on Wednesday... or before lunch on Tuesday or Thursday... or any day that ends with a "day".

Clown
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>