Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHanging Shelf Above Bed on 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanging Shelf Above Bed on 179
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:18am
There are lots of examples of shelves going side to side.  We didn't like those because they were over our head when sleeping and felt claustrophobic.  Plus, they blocked the light fixture.  We designed our shelf differently.
I had to drop the tv mount down in order to get the shelf over the window valence. I simply put a vertical metal plate(approximately 4"x6") on the inside of the wardrobe and ran the bolts through the tv mount, through the hollow wall and through the metal plate on the inside of the wardrobe.   I then mounted a horizontal board(  1"x1" ledger) from the solid front corner of the wardrobe to the solid rear corner of the wardrobe cabinetry with screws.  The cabinets have solid 1"x1" corners. The forward end support is cut at the appropriate angle of the roof so that the shelf is level over the window valence.   I used short moly bolts and glued the support to the ceiling.
It is very sturdy with 3 points of contact/support. However, we unload the shelf for travel-all of the items are placed on the bed.  We use various sized plastic bins to hold linens, towels,  and clothes on the shelf. The wire shelf came from Home Depot and was cut from a 12" wide closet wire shelf.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:57pm
There is a posting that has a lot of the mods in one location, "List your mods".
I put a shelf in the back of our 178 but the same idea is often used in the front of the 179.  see http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PN=65&title=list-your-mods.  I agree with Pod People that the shelf can restrict the lighting, so also mounted an LED pucklight (pick them up in any Home Depot or the like) and it provides lots of reading light right above our heads.

Also, you may want to check out Stephen's "escaPod mods" for his 179, some great ideas there too!
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
fischersinpa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:52pm
Thanks for sharing!
2016 Toyota Tundra
2017 179 "The Hodge Pod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12