R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBack from Canaan Valley WV X-country skiing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back from Canaan Valley WV X-country skiing
    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:59am

1.       Our r-pod is stored outside and the first thing that I discovered, even before setting out, was the pass through door was blocked shut by ice somewhere along the inner door frame, the lock was ok. How can I prevent that from happening again? I’m thinking paraffin rubbed along the surface of the inner door frame might work(?)

2.       A towing capacity of 4500 pounds is fine for mountains in summer, borderline adequate in winter. I left on the morning of the second day after a winter storm had dropped about 6 inches of snow on the roads, not a lot but enough to require snow plows etc. to clear it.  The roads were still a little covered by wind-blown snow and in spots icy, going up 3000 foot mountains was not fun, very slow and I was almost stopped once. My conclusion – Probable minimum of 5500 pounds towing capacity needed in mountains in winter. Comments?

3.       I always test the r-pod lights before leaving, the 7 pin connector was a little iced up but fully functional. After about 20 minutes a driver behind told me I had no lights. I wiggled the connection and I was back in service. I don’t like this inconsistency. How can I avoid it in the future?

Thanks

(Oh, temperatures varying from 8-27 degrees, had a wonderful time!)

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 12:39pm
Was it a power problem or a traction problem? In other words, what was your tow vehicle? Was it 2WD or part time 4WD or full time AWD?You can have all the power needed, but if it can't get to the pavement, it does not do you much good.

As for the connector, make sure it is plugged in all the way and the cover for the receptacle latches over the tab on the plug. You can put a small bungee cord around it to make sure the cover does not slip off the tab. That will help. Also, take some electrical contact cleaner and spray the receptacle and plug contacts. Then apply a little silicone dielectric grease to keep moisture out and minimize corrosion. That will also help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 6:20am
I agree 4500 lbs is low for towing a heavier rPod in the mountains.

But I think the rating you shold be looking at is the GCVWR not the tow rating. The tow rating will generally assume there is nothing but one skinny driver in the TV, so its very misleading. So assuming the rPod is about 3800 lbs loaded (mine is) then with a 4500 rated TV you can typically only have about 850 lbs total in the tow vehicle itself including people before exceeding the GCVWR. That's certainly doable but with very little margin for error. 

I have a 5000 lb rated TV and I've taken it to Canaan Valley and Dolly Sods - in the summer - multiple times. No problems.  But the GCVWR is 9840 and the curb weight is 4266, so that leaves me 9840-4266-3800= 1774 lbs I can theoretically load in the TV. I load it to no more than about 750 with gear and passengers for travel so I keep about 1000 lbs margin on the GCVWR. 

I'm with StephenH on the need for AWD, I wouldn't try to tow to anywhere in the snow (or for that matter in the mountains in wet conditions) without it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:52am

You can squirt a little DC-4 into the 7-pin when it's dry. That will displace water and not compromise the electrical connection. You do have to be careful about getting dirt in the connector though. The socket on our truck has a dust cover, and I wrap a plastic bag over the umbilical on the R-pod when it's not in use.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:40am
Thanks for the very helpful responses. I'm afraid this topic is of limited use, but for winter campers it may be of value.

Since the tow vehicle works well towing on dry pavement, the problem with my AWD vehicle with all-terrain tires is clearly getting traction. I assume that upping the towing capacity would cure that (?), or does it just lead to more tire slippage until friction finally clears the pavement?

Covering the umbilical with a plastic bag is clearly in the future for me. I was worried that it would just collect moisture inside from rain, thawing, etc but I need to do something to protect the connection.

Will a layer of paraffin or equivalent prevent the freezing of pass-thru doors shut?

From the responses, I am hopeful that losing the rear lights is very unusual. I will certainly do SH's and GlueGuy's suggestions re the electrical connections and I hope/expect no repeat. I always check the lights before leaving using a stick to jam the brake pedal down so losing power to them unpredictably is/was very troubling.

Cracking windows and the bathroom vent and keeping the interior at maybe 50 degrees or cooler prevented significant condensation even at 8 above.
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:26am
Having a Hyundai Tuscon AWD with upgrade M&S tires, and a Chevy Colorado 4WD with AT tires, and living in Colorado snow country, my observations for traction in the snow are: 1) Tires and weight make a big impact on traction in snow. 2) On very icy / slick conditions, no amount of tires and weight will help.   3) My Tuson AWD has the ability to lock in all 4 tires, only works when less than 20MPH. Greater than 20MPH traction control becomes active, unless turned off -- not something I do as I value traction control when traveling at speed on snow and ice. 

If avail, locking in AWD to be continous 4WD at slow speeds, going straight, may help getting you out of troublesome tractions issues.  

If capacity allows, adding weight may help.  Think of the farmers who drive around here with several bales of hay, or bags of sand in the bed of their pickups. Those pickups have have plenty of tow capacity.

Last April I drove a couple hundred miles more to avoid Monarch Pass which had 3" of fresh snow.  I don't like the stress nor the risks.  I rather enjoy the moment and mild disruption of an elongated trip.   
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:41am
+1 to Blender Bob.

Friction = coeficient of friction X downward force.

So if you want to increase friction between the tires and the road surface in snow there are really only a couple of ways to do it.  

1) run snow tires or studded snow tires (increases the coefficent of friction)
2) make the tow vehicle heavier. (increases the downward force)

By heavier I don't mean a higher tow rating, I mean actually either use a heavier tow vehicle and/or add contents to make it heavier. That's why throwing sacks of sand in the back of a 2wd pickup helps. If you just got a different tow vehicle with a higher towing capacity but that weighs the same as the one you have it probably wouldn't help things.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 1:31pm
+2 to the above about weight and traction. 4WD or AWD is not a panacea for getting around in winter. There are lots of 4WD and AWD vehicles to be found in the ditches after a storm. A couple of sand bags in the tow vehicle would certainly help, especially if the tow vehicle is light to begin with.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 2:41pm
I don't want to prolong a topic that I find fascinating but may not be interesting to very many other people, but ...

Towing a trailer fundamentally changes driving in ice and snow. An internet search leads one to the conclusion - Don't do it. However, that may lead to missing a lot of opportunities to have fun.

Because of tongue weight, my 171 probably adds roughly 240 pounds to the rear, and I s'pose this helps in snow, but even with the empty tanks of winterization, I probably have 2700 pounds hanging off the end of my TV to haul. Going up a mountain with 4500# towing capacity is really very, very marginal under those conditions.

The bottom line for me is, go out in good weather and if a storm hits, hunker down until it clears or leave the trailer at the campsite and go back and get it later.

Thanks for all your comments.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

The bottom line for me is, go out in good weather and if a storm hits, hunker down until it clears or leave the trailer at the campsite and go back and get it later.

Probably the best advice. Having had one skating party while towing our RPod that resulted in us buying a new TV and our RPod going to the factory for repair, I heartily agree with your conclusion.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>