R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas > Microwave and convection oven
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCooking a foil packet nestled in Al foil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooking a foil packet nestled in Al foil
    Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:32pm
Maybe this is 'ho-hum, everybody knows this!

I don't like washing dishes in the r-pod so self-contained aluminum foil packets look interesting. I made one up with raw chicken and veggies, when it came time to cook it I put an AL foil layer under it to catch any leaking fluid. I tweeked the outer layer so the foil would partially come up around the inner packet. Well, part of the packet got cooked and the other end definitely didn't. 

I figure (now) that the outer foil kept the air from hitting the inner packet evenly. In reading about convection ovens, we are s'posed to use low pans. 

Now I know why.
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 8:08pm
I cook with aluminum foil wrapped food all the time over and open fire or grill. Old BOY SCOUT trick. No muss no fuss. 
Michael
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:28am
I quit using Al foil in direct contract with foods for cooking as there is some evidence for neurological, kidney, and bone health risks from excessive ingestion of Al if food. 

This is much more likely from foil than in say an aluminum pot because the foil doesn't get a chance to form the hard alumium oxide layer that you get on a pot bottom or in exposed aluminum outside. Although the evidence doesn't support a clear connection as of yet, for me the benefits from using foil that way aren't so strong that its worth the risks. I do still grill corn in the husk and unskinned potatoes in foil. 

If the convenience of using foil outweighs your concerns about health risks, you might still consider avoiding cooking acidic or spicy foods (for example citrus based seasonings) which can leach Al agressively from foil. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Awchief

I cook with aluminum foil wrapped food all the time over and open fire or grill.

Hmmm..., 25 degrees, blowing snow with gusts to 35 mph. I think I'll cook inside Smile
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:05am
I think I'll stay in a hotel when it's 25℉, blowing snow, with 35 mph wind gusts.  Confused Camp fire aluminum cooking would not be a desirable choice.  

Cooking with foil wrapped vegetables and a chunk of hamburger in a campfire is a long and hallowed camping tradition.  There is nothing like opening your foil pack to find that the potatoes are not really cooked, the meat is burned on one side and rare on the other, and all the other ingredients are either over or undercooked, but you relish in it's exotic flavors as part of the camping experience.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 10:10am
+1 lostagain!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
We have stayed in our R-Pod in worse conditions. However, outdoor foil packet cooking was not a consideration. That is why I like the inside kitchen on our 179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:38pm
+1 to StephenH on the 179 kitchen. 

While when I grill at home I will only use a good old Weber smokey joe and actual charcoal, I wouldn't do that camping. Way to messy, bulky, and smelly. Ditto for campfires, I can't stand the smoky smell permeating our clothing especially on a damp day in the rPod, with no way to get things clean. I do have a propane grill we use on nice days.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:25pm
We pack our little Webber 14" smokey joe with us in our Pod and it's great to cook on; almost the same as cooking on the patio at home.  We keep a bag of charcoal in the lower outside access storage area along with a propane torch that we use to light the coals.  It's the perfect size for a piece of salmon, a couple steaks or thick pork chops.  If we camp with our kids and grandkids, then the foil wrapped meat and veggies works great for one meal.  We set up a little buffet of the ingredients so each person can choose what s/he prefers.  And best of all, there is almost no cleanup.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:40pm
Love using the same little Weber at home, for the same reasons, but I don't want to mess with the charcoal camping, we prefer things as easy as possible.  We use a Coleman fold-n-go for that. Works great. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply