R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed178 axle support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 178 axle support
    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:55am
Hello I just picked up a 2016 178 Hood River in great condition with the exception of a bent axle I need to repair, it has negative camber. Looking on the web, it looks like this is a common problem with the R Pod's. It looks to me like the frame rails are to narrow for the axle and there is to much leverage. The frame rail to hub face looks will over the 9 inch max recommended, mine is close to 14". I am thinking the axle could be realigned and then build a support from the frame to a mount at the end of the axle holding it to support the wheel end of the axle. There is a good frame shop in town I have used to align the trailer I have now, that can realign it. If that does not work, I will install a 5200lbs. axle with 3500lbs. leaf springs.
Here are the top mounts and a mount to relocate the LP gas line all done and powder coated. I also replaced the grade 5 bolts and grade 3 washers with all grade 8.

Welding the mounts to the lift blocks.

funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:38am
Welcome to the group.  
I really like the support your giving the axle. I hope it works for you. I have one question to ask. 
The picture of the support were its lying on the vise you have a bolt with a spacer. When mounted on the rpod you just have the holes without a bolt. Why are the holes in the support?  Thanks for sharing.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
funks, Toyanvil isn't done yet. The support brackets still need to bolt to pieces extending down and out to support the axle ends.

Looks great so far though. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 1:20pm
Really looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:30pm
The bolt with the spacer is there to hold everything in place when welding. Worked on it today and got the axle mounts about half way done, still need to make some more parts and then weld it all up and powder coat them. Next will be the adjustable link that will go between the two mounts.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:46pm
Now, that's some really nice work, Toyanvil.  Uh, er, we're going to be passing through B'field on the way to L.A. in April or May.  Would you mind throwing together another set?  Wink  Just kidding, but it looks like FR may want to work out a deal with you for the newer Pods.  I hope you've talked to a patent lawyer.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:56pm
Thank you, I just hope it works. My hobby is metal working, so this is fun for me. I have been modifying my 1961 Sunbeam Alpine for the last 42 years
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:35am
Toyanvil, looking good.

Were you able to get the axle recambered? Was the axle tube being bent the only issue you found?

Thanks

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:13am
When I am all done with the supports I will have it re-cambered and have the alignment shop preload the adjustable links a little. The only thing I found with the axle was it had lost it's camber, it is now almost flat with less then an 1/8 inch of arch.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:29am
How do you intend to attach this to your axle? I don't see enough space on it for U bolts. Drilling through it and bolting would work since the place where it would attach would be the same place that the internal part of the axle would need to move for your suspension to work. Even drilling and using short screws would not work since the screws would also very likely interfere with the internal movement of the axle. Welding it to your axle is also not feasible as it would cook the rubber inside that provides your suspension support. The slideshow on the Lippert page shows what a cross-section of the axle looks like in the 5th and 6th slides (see dots below picture).

Edit:
I got to thinking more about this and it might work but it would require modification of your design. In brief, add wings to each side of the bracket and then either use a "V" bolt or fabricate another section of channel with similar wings to the top piece and then use bolts through the wings to attach the bracket to the axle. Here is a line drawing of what I think would work (I don't claim to be an artist):

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>