Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod axle lift kit - Event Date: 02 Mar 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R Pod axle lift kit
    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm
just purchased a 2018 , 178 . Travel will involve heading to western  National forest campgrounds and most likely some boondocking and travel on rougher gravel roads .. 
Considering the lift kit from Forest river making it similar to "hood river version "
HAS anyone done this lift mod , and had any regrets what so ever ? 
Any down side to consider ? 
Pulling with Jeep Grand Cherokee with sway bar kit 

Boater 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm
Pretty common mod. Search the forum for "lift kit". I'm pretty sure there have been a few of those in the last 6 months or so.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 4:55pm
I have a 2015 178, it has risers on it and is NOT a HRE. +1 to GlueGuy, pretty common mod. BTW my risers were not an addition, they came on it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:07pm
Boater,

I think you have the enhanced pitch axle, which compensates for lift that risers added. I recall reading on this forum that adding risers is not bad but it nixes warranty if you have one. My 2015 178 was built with risers but in 2016 is when enhanced pitch axles started being added, near as I can tell. I read this on this forum and a conversation with FR. I would call FR with your serial number and talk to them, that seems to be where the data is coming from. Safest bet.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:18pm
The post is "New Axle System for RPod" OP was taxman. Evidently risers were eliminated with new axle systems started in late 2015. Some discussion about warranty if risers are added but is not solved on this post, KyMooses says it does not violate warranty, others do.

From FR:

I just want to clear up some discussion on the new r-pod axles and the risers. The Indiana r-pods have always had the axle risers as an option and the Hood River Edition had them built in the package. We monitor option usage and when it hits and maintains a high precenatge of use, we look at making it a standard item. With working with our axle company we were able to achieve the same height as the axle risers by using a different pitch axle without having to add the blocks. The new axle sits approximatly 2 1/2 higher at the beam, gaining more gorund clerance there. The rest of the height is achieved at the end of the axle with the different pitch for a total rise of approximatly 3 1/2", the same as we had with the risers. In doing this we also redesigned the fenderskirt to have a consistant clereance over the tire (no more hump in the middle) for better appreance. I think some of the cofusion here is with the newly designed fenderskirt, most are thinking it doesn't has the rise because of no large gap above the tire. I'm sure there will be more discussion here and I will keep my eye out and try to answer questions.
Mike Carter
2015 178
boater View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 9:41pm
Thanks for the reply's in regards to axle lift kit for my 2018 178
I think I will contact Forest River with my serial number just for comfort that it indeed does have higher clearance from factory with upgraded axles, similar in ground clearance to Hood River version units with risers . I was posting due to my original thoughts that adding 4 inches via risers ( above my current height), may cause some high trailer entrance discomfort or height issues with jeep hook up or re adjustment to my weight compensation hitch. Now I believe ,, I am understanding that my 2018 should have the different axle creating more ground clearance than older units. Also I think I am understanding here , that it "is what it is" ,and should be sufficient to go off main roads and also clear "dips in the roads , drive ways etc with out further adding 4 inch risers
thanks again ,, any further advice appreciated and glad to be a part of this owners forum   
"Boater"
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 3:59am
You could take a look at the part number on your axle. Assuming its a Lippert axle it should look something like mine. Its the long sequence of letters and numbers starting with LC35H:

The later ones which have what Forest River is calling the "different pitch angle" I think have a "220" where my 2015 states "zero". This number is what the axle industry calls the "start angle". These are torsion axles so the start angle is the angle that the torsion arm extending from the axle tube is set to under no load. A higher number (I think) means that the arm angles downward further under no load so increases the clearance under the trailer. The 220 (I think) implies a 22.5 degree down angle. 

I'd have to go measure the length of our axle torque arms but I think they're around  6-8 inches long. If so, a 22.5 degree change in start angle should change the ride height by about 2-3 inches. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 8:53am
Greetings:
I installed lift kits on my 2010 171 and on my 2015 179.  No Problems work fine.  Now they have changed axles and gone to 15 inch wheels, so the lift kit don't seem to be needed anymore. 
Crankster78 R-179 F-150
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
boater View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:23pm
thank you , I was searching for this frame information ,as dealer wanted it prior to ordering any riser kit ,, not finding but will have a serious look again today
boater
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:41pm
boater, if you mean the axle part number, it should be on the back of the axle tube soewhere near the center. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>