Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod axle lift kit - Event Date: 02 Mar 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R Pod axle lift kit
    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 12:53pm
Thank you all . I do indeed have the Lippert Axle and now a better understanding that my unit with 15 inch tire is indeed higher than older units, therefore most likely fairly good per ground clearance and not needed any further lift kit . I did now reach out via email to Forest River with my serial number asking what kind of lift I do have for a more complete understanding , Will share when I get an answer
thank you all again
Boater
GIAKIN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 11:58am
We bought a 2018 179 3 months ago.. I had the dealer install the lift kit due to our rather steep driveway. When I brought the trailer home, I had 2 inches of clearance under my jacks when backing it in. This was a necessary mod for my situation. We are waiting for warmer weather for our first trip, but I did not notice any issues while towing the unit home.
boater View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:09pm
Hi Giakin , thanks . So , with the newer axles of the 2018 and the 15 inch tires , for you situation , you still added the lift kit. Do you think different door steps are needed now to access higher doorway ? Does the height feel ok .. Its the dips going into places , driveways and forest road issues that were prompting me to raise my 178 further above the current height .. I was just thinking of having a no issues trailer per tearing things off the bottom , but did not want added clearance making it more difficult to use
Boater
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:41am
I've gone in and out of all kinds of primitive forest service roads and campgrounds and never touched any part of my trailer, including the rear stabilisers. The closest I've come to dragging is going in and out of parking lot driveways with deep swales so I try to avoid those or take them at an angle. My trailer has the lift kit and 15 inch wheels. 

I'd be concerned about adding unnecssary height to the trailer. Its going to raise the center of gravity and also increase the center of pressure from side winds both of which are going to make it less stable and more prone to sway. Also, you will be presenting a larger surface area to the air stream going down the road so the wind resistance will increase and your fuel economy will drop. 

Unless you know you'll be camping in some really bad spots or otherwise know you have a true need like Giakin does I'd try it out as is first and see if you run into any problems. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:51am
We changed to a 2 step unit on or 179 with axle risers. It is much easier and safer getting in and out of the pod with our old knees. there are several models available from etrailer that require new bolt holes drilled or a small section of the step bracket to be cut out.  It took about an hour to change them and I remeber they were $85+/-
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
boater View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 8:18am
thanks Offgrid . By the way , you gave me a word I had been searching for ( swales ) , was aways hard to describe those road gullies ,, found a real bad one going into RV park just west of Colorado springs with my RV ,, ended up raising the rear bumper after that one almost tore my moped carrier off..
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 8:23am
Sounds like you came across a whale of a swale LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:18am
Have you considered Sav-A -Jack for the rear stabilizers?  Easy mod.
boater View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:37am
great idea ,, looked up save-a-jack ,, will consider
boater View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 12:18pm
this is Grrreat ,, from Forest River ,, info for all
Good Afternoon Neal,
               The production year for your trailer does have the high pitch axle on it so it does have the same ground clearance as the Hood River edition R-Pods. However, you can still add the axle riser kit to what you have. My only thought on doing so is that your steps will be that much higher off the ground as well. We do still sell the axle riser kits for the 2018 models, but you would then have more clearance than the Hood River editions.
Boater
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>