R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaiden voyage and Tuna Fishing(sway) problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maiden voyage and Tuna Fishing(sway) problems
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:42am
We have been flooding here at at home for on and off for over a week. Besides slopping through the mud, I just could not look at the damage to my fencing and swimming hole gazebo/deck anymore. So we loaded up Pod and headed to Hunting Beach SP, SC for 3 nights.

I did not weigh anything, but did have about a 2" slant forward to the hitch when attached to the Avalanche. I started out with a 12" long receiver shank(trying to get the tailgate down while hooked up without hitting the crank handle....but it still hits). On the highway the Pod was Tuna Fishing slightly and even though it was not a real problem, I stopped and changed out to a standard length shank. 80% of the tuna fishing went away, but I still have it and it bugs me. 

I am running a Hayes Sway Master electronic, and going through the Gorge(I26/40 Blue Ridge Mtns) and had it engage the trailer brakes several times. Not from sway, but simply while going around some of the tight sweeping curves. Not sure if I like it doing that when it's not needed, but it is good to know the device actually works. 

Anyway, it's time to get the scale out and weigh the tongue, then take measurements when hitched to the Avalanche. I am kinda concerned since I bought a TV capable of towing 8K and I am getting sway when not even fully loaded for a long trip and no water in any of the tanks. So where should I begin my search to kill the sway...?

On another note, with all the hills and mtns, I had to tow in 'TOW' mode and in 3'rd gear. I was running 65-70 and the Avalanche(3.73 rear-end) really knew a trailer was back there. I have pulled 6K trailers that seemingly pulled easier than my Pod. Based on this trip, there is no way I would attempt to pull this 176T with a lighter-weight SUV.....how do you guys do it and feel comfortable on the road? 

I have a pinion noise in my rear-end. It's not a problem yet, but I will have it re-built before we head to the GC. Would y'all ditch the 3.73, and go with 4.10 gears? 
2016 R-Pod 176T
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:21am
motor7, sorry about your flooding. Look at it this way, at least its not in your house!

You can get sway on a trailer towing with any TV. I suggest proceeding to weigh things as you are planning, and if your tongue weight is less than around 10-11%, move some load forward to add tongue weight. See if that stops it. At that point you should have a stable trailer. 

Consider the Hayes system as the suspenders and having a stable trailer as the belt. If you want you can add a second set of suspenders with a wdh/antisway system too. Big smile

Re towing with a lighter SUV, I guess its a matter of what you're used to. I don't expect to not feel like there is a trailer back there with my Highlander. It doesn't sway at all and the weight is properly balanced so its just a matter of horsepower and braking. I've only infrequently had it to 65 mph and doubt if I've ever hit 70, and I always drive in sport mode in the mountains to keep the gearing up both up and downhill. I do about 50 towing up or down 10% grades. 

My first vehicle was a 40hp 1960 VW bus. My previous RV was a Toyota pickup based class B with 97 hp. The WWII deuce and a half towed everything everywhere on only 91hp. My Highlander V6 is 280hp, it almost seems overpowered. Tongue

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:43am
Well if the house floods we should have built an arc....it's 300' above the creek on a bluff. My 20ac of bottomland pasture is wrecked though. We are used to floods, but the one last week was epic. 

I have towed a lot of trailers and am just not used to having sway. I am intimately familiar with improperly loaded trailers as a 4x8 utility trailer flipped my CJ7 in '86(my fault-----I loaded the trailer)) so maybe that is why I want to eliminate any and all sway. If I have to go with a WDH I will but I am kinda bummed that I even need one with this tv. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
Our R-pod does not sway, and I don't think it would be any more inclined to sway than almost any other type of trailer. Your big clue was the long shank causing more sway. I would be inclined to believe that you do not have enough forward weight in the R-pod. If the tongue weight is at 10%, I would increase it to 11 or 12 percent. 

You may also not have enough weight transferred with the WDH. Getting those front wheels weighted will help a bnch.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:18am
I had a foot of water in my house from Matthew. Took a year to get it sorted. House is 12 ft higher now. It will blow away way before it floods...

I 100% agree with you on eliminating all trailer sway. I want it eliminated at the source, don't want to have to count on sway control at all. I'm at about 15% tongue weight and have zero sway (trailer swings back into its track within one cycle when I do a sudden lane change).  That's with no sway control.  I'm guessing if you increase your tongue weight you can achieve the same. 

Check out this video:

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:40am
i changed to D rated tires and inflated them to spec and that helped me alot.  most of my sway is caused by external forces: WIND!  I have WDH and antisway but the tires made a noticeable improvement. 
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
With our mid-sized truck we run D tires and a Fastway e2 and have never had any issue with sway, even with strong cross-winds.  I do want some of those cool red weights from the video, though.  They really seem to make a difference. ;--)
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:02am
For the record I now have D rated 15 inch tires and wheels, but I also didn't notice any sway with the original 14 inch LRC's.

I think a low tongue weight ratio is probably the most significant contributor to sway. Wind will trigger sway but the underlying cause is too many of those heavy red weights in the rear. Put all your Merlot up front and keep your Chardonnay in the back and you'll be fine. LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:13am
You mean Champaign, with all those bubbles it's lighter. ;--)
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:00pm
Motor 7,

I would NOT go with 4:10 gears. 3:73 is a good ratio for truck. I believe mine our 3:40s, some Fords less. I have had 4:10s - not a good road gear.

;
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>