Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew to me R Pod 178 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me R Pod 178 owner
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:12am
Hello I just picked up a 2016 178 Hood River in great condition with the exception of a bent axle I need to repair, it has negative camber. Looking on the web, it looks like this is a common problem with the R Pod's. It looks to me like the frame rails are to narrow for the axle and there is to much leverage. The frame rail to hub face looks will over the 9 inch max recommended, mine is close to 14". I am thinking the axle could be realigned and then build a support from the frame to a plate with U-bolts around the axle holding it to support the wheel end of the axle. There is a good frame shop in town I have used to align the trailer I have now, that can realign it. If that does not work, I will install a 5200lbs. axle with 3500lbs. leaf springs. I am hoping there are R Pod Rallies around California we can go to.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:45am
First one clarification:

These are torsion axles, I don't think you can make a leaf spring axle fit an rpod without major surgery. There are 5200 lb torsion axles available if you want to go that route, which would probably be the best solution in the long run. You would also need new brake assemblies, drums, wheels and tires for the 5200lb changeover, so that will get pretty spendy. 

Yes, the inboard axle mounting points on the rPods do substantially increase the axle tube loads, actually by close to a factor of 2. That being said, it is worthwhile finding our for sure what is causing your negative camber before deciding on the fix.  It could be the axle tube, but it could also be the spindle or the torsion arm. If its the tube your local shop might be able to straighten it but it will be weaker afterwards, if its one of the latter two problems your axle is probably toast. 

Once you find out what has failed on your axle please post that and some photos on the forum, it will help others here troubleshoot their axle problems in the future. 

If you determine its the axle tube and the shop is able to straighten it (it should probably end up with a little positive camber built in, I have about 3.8 inch in mine), you might want to look at the reinforcement mod i just did on my 179 last week. I posted a topic on it. I didn't want to extend the frame mounting points because that would put additional torsional load on the frame rails, which are pretty light (IIRC they're 0.1 inch wall thickness 2x4 tubes). My fix worked out well for the "diamond" axle tube I have, some rPods have round axle tubes which would be harder to add reinforcement to.

Alternatively, you could weld in a gusset plate between the torque tubes to help handle the torsional load on them from extending the mounting points. 

If you go with a new axle you can get the mounting flanges wherever you want them, but probably with a 5200 lb axle you could leave them where they are and be fine. 

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. 

Edit: 3/8 inch camber not 3.8 inches

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:28am
Welcome to the forum Toyanvil.  Sorry you are having problems with your axle. I hope you get it sorted out soon.  I grew up in B'field and graduated from Foothill H.S. and went to BC before going away for college.  Haven't been back since my 50th H.S. reunion.  Lots of great places to go in your Pod once you get it fixed.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:18am
Thank you for the input. I would like to keep the torsion axle, but I don't want to go to a 5200lb. A 5200lb torsion axle will be set up for a 5200lb. trailer, and I think it will be to stiff on a 3500lb. trailer and cause other problems. adding leaf springs is not that hard and you can go with a 5200lb. axle and 3500lb. springs to keep the ride soft. This is what I did on the last trailer I built from the ground up. I also added air bags, that way I can air up if I need to load it heavier than normal and still have a smooth ride.
My R pod axle is now flat with no arch.

The trailer I built, before brakes.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:26pm
Toyanvil,

Interesting post, first I have seen of an axle repair. I'd like to know how that turns out. I have a Dexter axle on my 2015 178, no issues. I like Offgrids mod to the Lippert diamond. Looking forward to your results.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:31pm
Wow that's quite a bit of negative camber on the rPod axle. Can you confirm that its only the axle tube that has failed or are there problems with the spindle/torque arm too?

I really like your custom trailer build. The air springs are a nice feature, you could even level it side to side with those, some rpod owners have noted their trailers sitting quite a bit lower on the slide side. I'm just not sure you can get a leaf spring axle to provide a ride height as low as it currently is with the torsion axle, but maybe you want it taller anyway.  

I understand your concern about a 5200 lb axle being too stiff.  It will depend on how heavy your loaded trailer is. In my case I'm very near 3500 lb on the axle when I crank in the wdh loads so I wouldn't be too concerned. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:03pm
It looks like it is just the main tube has lost it's camber from not being supported at the ends.

Thank you I really like my off-road trailer too, but my wife wants a restroom on the same floor   
Here's some pictures of it.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:38am
That's a really cool trailer.  You really did a nice job.  I don't miss that tule fog in your second picture, though.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:06am
Is that a TW200 tucked in there? 
2016 R-Pod 176T
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:40am
Welcome!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>