R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI was Sold the wrong WDH...What effects???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I was Sold the wrong WDH...What effects???
    Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Good to hear Tom! Your F-150 is a beast for pulling something like the RP-179. We have had absolutely zero issues with ours. It tows like a dream. No muss, no fuss, no sweat, no bother. Just exactly what you need on a camping trip.

Thanks you were a big help..  

I did find it curious that  with 2 washers and the L bracket in the position you use  vs 3 washers and the L bracket with 2 holes left under the frame (one hole lower than yours)  gave me the exact same front wheel height but I felt with 3 washers I was getting a bit more sway control.

Probable all in my head but then again maybe not?
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by TearlessTom

Originally posted by GlueGuy

Good to hear Tom! Your F-150 is a beast for pulling something like the RP-179. We have had absolutely zero issues with ours. It tows like a dream. No muss, no fuss, no sweat, no bother. Just exactly what you need on a camping trip.

Thanks you were a big help..  

I did find it curious that  with 2 washers and the L bracket in the position you use  vs 3 washers and the L bracket with 2 holes left under the frame (one hole lower than yours)  gave me the exact same front wheel height but I felt with 3 washers I was getting a bit more sway control.

Probable all in my head but then again maybe not?
No worries Tom. The WDH distributes some of the tongue weight to the front wheels, and a smaller amount to the axle of the trailer. I don't think you have to worry at all how much is actually going to the front wheels of your particular truck.

There may be a minor concern about how much is transferred to the trailer axle (the RP-179 axle is just adequate for a fully loaded RP-179). So it's theoretically possible to overload the R-pod axle, but you would still have to work on it a bit.

Also, our 2015 F-150 is a complete re-design of the truck (from prior years), and I think there is enough difference between the 2014 and the 2015 to make some minor rigging changes. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:22am
Glad it’s worked out for you Tearless Tom. One reason for the setup difference might be trailer wheel size and ride height. Maybe I missed it but what wheels and lift setup do you have? If normal for the Midwest/East you will be sitting a little lower than GlueGuy.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
As I recall, I had to install the E2 L-brackets on our 179 at a little shorter distance than ideal due to the location of the propane bottle mount, but still within the spec'ed range.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by TheBum

As I recall, I had to install the E2 L-brackets on our 179 at a little shorter distance than ideal due to the location of the propane bottle mount, but still within the spec'ed range.

Mine were jammed up next to the propane tanks. I moved it aft about an inch or so. They measure 3.5 inches from the tip of the spring bar to the center of the hole. I read somewhere it had to be at least 3 inches and the further back you put the bracket the less effect it has on the weight distribution. Moving mine back made about 1/10 of an inch difference with the same set up.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:33pm
Tearless Tom, Fastway has their installation and set up instructions online here: https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/e2-round-bar-hitch-instructions.pdf
You should have been given a copy by your dealer.  
When the dealer set up our hitch, among other errors, they set the L brackets too far aft so that I had <3" of distance from the middle of the bracket to the end of the bar.  I moved it forward to have about the same distance as you ended up with.  The propane tank mount is a problem for getting the L brackets in the right place, but you should be able to get it close enough.  The other thing the dealer failed to do was to torque any of the bolts to the proper tightness.  Thankfully nothing happened before I caught it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 3:37pm
The further aft the brackets are the longer the distance is from the bracket to the ball. That should increase the moment (torque) the bars are putting on the rig trying to fold it up around the ball, which increases the weight being redistributed.
Since the torque is force x distance, if you move the brackets aft and at the same time lower them to reduce the force pulling up on the bars, you end up with the same amount of weight distributed.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:13pm
And if you move the brackets too far back, the bars will not be long enough in some sharp turns, leading to them becoming disengaged from the L brackets.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Glad it’s worked out for you Tearless Tom. One reason for the setup difference might be trailer wheel size and ride height. Maybe I missed it but what wheels and lift setup do you have? If normal for the Midwest/East you will be sitting a little lower than GlueGuy.

I'm sure that is it. He runs 15 inch tires as I have 14. He has a 2015 4WD truck mine is a 2014 2 wheel.

The 2015 is a lighter truck in the rear end and the 4wd normally have a bit higher stance so it is only logical that with those minor differences it will give us different settings.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm
Perhaps a bit off topic Tearless Tom but if you don't have the axle riser kit on your rPod you might want to consider adding it, seems like most folks on the forum including me tend to feel that the standard East/Midwest rPods have inadequate ground clearance. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>