R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI was Sold the wrong WDH...What effects???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I was Sold the wrong WDH...What effects???
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:21pm
Generally, the tensioned bars on the WDH will UNLOAD the rear, and LOAD the front of the TV relative to what it would have been without the WDH.

So if you measure the height of the front and rear with the trailer connected and no WDH you will get front height X and rear height Y.

Tension the WDH bars; X should get smaller, and Y should get larger.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
Without being there to look and measure, I have no answer for you. I can honestly say I have set up 20 or so WDH's over the years, and never saw measurements do that.

Honestly, with that particular truck/Pod combination, I would suggest you try towing with no WDH. Just get an appropriate drop hitch and roll. Many owners do it that way, with no issues.

The bar rating has nothing to do with how a WDH works. I know several podders rolling with 1000, even 1200 pound bars. The difference is just how much it takes to deflect the bars, not what they do.

TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm
I'm working today and tomorrow. I plan on hooking back up and take some more measurements.   I called the dealer today. The service manager was out but will check back tomorrow to discuss swapping to the WDH that I thought they were selling me.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:07pm
This video gives a good explanation of how the front & rear of the TV react to using a WDH vs nothing vs adding air bags to the rear. 

The main take-away is that adding air bags actually increases the load on the rear axle and decreases the load on the front axle.
bp
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
furpod is correct, the bar stiffness shouldn't effect the wdh loading. Think of the wdh as trying to fold up your rig around the ball. That will lift the rear axle and the ball/hitch and put more weight on the front axle and the trailer axle. Changing to a lower rated wdh won't change that, only the tension on the bars will.  

It seems like your're not seeing that effect, but that might be because you don't have enough tension on your bars to see it. And small differences in height are hard to measure.

In the end furpod is probably right and you won't really need a wdh, but if you are taking more measurements anyway I'd suggest two things:  

If you're not already, use painters take on the fenders to take your axle measurements to. 

Try putting more tension on your wdh bars. In order to see much effect from them the tension needs to be in the hundreds of lbs range. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 12:42pm
I have an appointment for tomorrow to have the dealer change out the WH to a 600/6000 Fastway E2 and remove the Blue Ox 8,000 - 12,000lb system.
Hopefully it will work better and more adjustable.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

You may have too heavy of a hitch, but with the F-150 you could probably live with it. It will be a bit too stiff for the R-pod, but it will work.

How much is the upward tilt? When the trailer is disconnected, the top of the ball to the ground on the truck should be roughly equal to the top of the hitch to the ground. IOW, the trailer tongue and the ball on the hitch should be about the same height (disregarding the number of washers for now).

The number of washers will determine how much weight you're going to transfer. More washer = more weight. Fewer washers = less weight. I'm guessing you should only need a couple of washers, if that.

We have 2 (thick) washers on our E2 600/6000 hitch, and the transfer is pretty good.

GlueGuy, or anyone with the E2 600/6000 system .Especially if you have a Ford F150  could you possible send or include some photos of your set up , including the washers and thickness,  and how many holes top/bottom for the "L "bracket.  

I picked it up today and like the design better but it is still not quite right.   I took it up to Bucee's again for some flat ground and a BBQ sandwich.

The measurements are pretty good but needs improvement.   As they set it up I am over sprung as I understand it.

My Unlaiden (truck only) front wheel measurement was  : 36.625
My Trailer only measurement was :                                     36.875
My Trailer with WDH Bars attached :                                   36.3125

So my target height as I understand it is: between :  36.625 and 36.75

My rear wheel is:

My Unlaiden (truck only) rear  wheel measurement was  : 37.188
My Trailer only measurement was :                                     35.938
My Trailer with WDH Bars attached :                                   36.625

My Level trailer tongue height  is:         17.5
My trailer tongue height with WDH is     18.5
so I have a one inch upward tilt.

I have one hole left at the bottom of the hitch so if I drop it that should take care of the upward tilt.
And if I remove some washers. It has 6 now down to maybe 4 that should bring my front end up hopefully approx. 0.4 inch..

Is this right?

GlueGuy?
Anyone?

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:20pm
The hitch/ball assembly on our 2015 F-150 is all the way down; bottom holes. 

Likewise, the L brackets on the trailer are also all the way down. I guess that's the "top" holes, as the hang down. 

We have two really thick washers on the hitch head. 

I'll get you some pictures in the morning.
bp
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:07pm
Tilting the head doesn't change the height of the tongue, It preloads the spring bars.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by furpod

Tilting the head doesn't change the height of the tongue, It preloads the spring bars.

I plan on lowering  both the hitch and the L bracket to  the lowest position to lower the hitch height . Now debating on how many washers to use.  I understand that less transfer less weight to the front and as I am over-sprung  by about 0.4 inch with a full fresh water container.  By lowering the tongue I will be increasing the tongue weight so it may need slightly more adjustment. 

It is currently has 6 washers.  GlueGuy has 2,  Others 3 - 4.   I will try somewhere in that range.

Thanks for the help.

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>