R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew/Used Pod Owner Lots of questions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New/Used Pod Owner Lots of questions?
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:52pm
Motor 7,

Great video on YouTube proving it doesn't help in black tank. I don't like ice cubes banging against sensors.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:10am
Hey, I was not advocating it, just that the suggestion is prolific on the 'net ;)
2016 R-Pod 176T
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Motor7

Hey, I was not advocating it, just that the suggestion is prolific on the 'net ;)

It's prolific everywhere...

A) Tank monitors are hokum. Did you know they build campers without them? those owners never have this discussion. And yet, they camp just fine.

B) Now that we have lots of people with phone cameras etc, and youtube accounts, a lot of documentation is available about all kinds of stuff. And this is one of those things a person can look up, and watch the video(s)..

C) The sensors are just continuity connections, so any dampness on the walls of the tank may connect them, no matter what it is.

D) When the shower backs up, grey is full. When the toilet doesn't go "sploosh", it's full.

E) The sensors are installed by untrained monkeys, who place the sensors randomly on the tank wall. On our Pod, the top or "full" sensor on every tank was at least a quarter of the way down the tank wall...

F) In general, grey is the issue when camping. It takes a serious amount of potty visits to fill 30 gallons in a weekend.. or a week for that matter. My experimentation shows an average of one quart going down each time.. that's 120 "events" to full.. If you are going in there 40 times a day (3 day camping weekend), I think you need to change your diet to whatever the doctor recommends after your visit, which should be on the Monday you get home from the CG.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:14am
They could make tank sensors that used sonar to detect where the fluid level is, but no one would buy them (the would be too expensive).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 11:51am
You're spot on Furpod.....especially F) !
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
There are tank sensors that read through the wall of the tank. SeeLevel is one brand.
The price on Amazon is a lot better:
It is still very expensive. I can live with the sensors that came with our RPod.

Horst Miracle Probes are a much less expensive option but I don't know if they are a miracle cure or if it would be a miracle if they really work since I have not tried them.
They do come in both black and gray water versions with the gray costing a couple of dollars more than the black tank version.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:46pm
For me, I think tank level meditation is the way to go.  It is every bit as accurate as the OEM tank monitors.  You just contemplate the liquid input and output in the tanks, your organism, and that of others and sooner or later you will achieve nirvana and enlightenment.  

And to complicate matters, many of us are prescribed diuretics by our doctors to lower blood pressure, the effect of which, of course is to make you pee a lot.  With a little too much beer and the normal dose off diuretic, the number of trips may begin to approach the levels furpod cautioned us about.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Just to put it in perspective.. we have now owned our Lance 2.25 years. We have 96 nights camping in it and almost 10K miles pulled. I have, as of yet, to push the button and see what our tank levels are. Seriously.
We did 13 nights over Christmas and new years.. I dumped grey twice, and again last morning on the way out, but didn't dump black until the last morning. We do have 45 gallon tanks. We probably dump a quarter to half our dishes water into the black tank..
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:28pm
When I boondock for a week or two at a time I find the tank level information is handy in order to plan when you need to go dump and refill. That might be a half day event.  If you're in a developed campground with a water supply and dump station available nearby I agree that its not  nearly so important. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123