Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroduce Yourself - Event Date: 29 Jan 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Introduce Yourself
    Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:21pm
G'Day from Maple Ridge BC, the Canadian Alps in our backyard.
Retired from the cold 9 years ago from Ottawa Ontario to enjoy the west coast.
Spent 5 years touring the west coast using our hotel Sienna. Trips included diagonal trans continental trip from BC to the panhandle of Florida. The Sienna was configured with a platform bed, and with the power sliding doors we called her our "Step Out Queen"  Unfortunately, as we grew older, the middle of night call to the "John" became inconvenient, so we are upgrading to a twin bed R-Pod RP-191. The twin configuration looks appealing, where one of us can get up for the washroom call at the middle of the night, without disturbing the other. I saw the "New" 195 layout with the walk around queen, and wish they would make a 195 twin. I think the kitchen in the back and the dinette on the slide, is a more balanced and reliable configuration. The Dry bathroom would also be much appreciated.
We have had excellent service from our 2005 Sienna, which we towed our 2 motorcycles, and other household belongings across the USA with no problems. The Sienna provides a stable, long wheelbase tow platform, when fitted with air assisted rear bags. We have towed without issue, at the full 3,500 pound rating, but of course we do have trailer brakes and controller to balance the braking to the weight being pulled. Given that the Highlander has the same engine/tranny combo, it leaves me to believe the Sienna has capacity in reserve, given the highlander is rated at 5,000 pounds. I have read many posts and other opinions, but I have traversed the continent 3 times, with the trailer close to maximum weights with no problems. Look forward to opinions on weight distribution of different floor plans, Thanks for your time. Regards, the BCProspector :)
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:03am
Welcome. Towing at max weight is fine until it's not. Just because you never had an issue does not mean it's a good idea. Over weight trailer wrecks happen very quickly and often without warning.

That being said, if the Highlander is rated for 5k, I think you should be inside the safety zone when loaded provided you pay attention to content weight and location. Sounds like you already know about tongue weight and proper WDH sway controlling hitch.

We are new to the 'pod thing too, and are still packing loading and modifying ours for a maiden voyage. Like us, I think your gonna like it.
2016 R-Pod 176T
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:53am
Welcome to the forum.  

Towing isn't really limited so much by the drivetrain, except for secondary issues like being sure you can keep the engine and tranny from overheating. Those aren't really safety issues and can be corrected with cooling add ons if you want to.  I tow with my Highlander and the power is not a problem at all, nor is engine and tranny cooling with the tow package. 

The issue is the capability of the frame, suspension, and brakes. If Toyota is limiting the Sienna to 3500 lbs they have a reason.  Its likely related to one of those factors, typically its the ability of the vehicle to handle the tongue weight.  That is the limiting factor on my Highlander. I'm in spec but not by a lot. A weight distribution hitch is a must but it is not a substitute for staying within spec on tongue weight. And the actual loaded tongue weight on the larger rPods is nearly always quite a  lot higher than FR's listed numbers. 

Another important consideration is the combined gross vehicle weight rating. The tow rating is usually given assuming a near empty tow vehicle. Your fully loaded trailer and tow vehicle weight you should never exceed the MCGVWR for the tow vehicle. 

You might want to go weigh your  fully loaded Sienna and add that to your estimated loaded total trailer weight before you make a final decision.  To estimate your trailer total weight consider that the empty weight figure FR gives includes no batteries, no water, and no propane, only a single empty propane tank. You will add at least 200 lbs for a battery, water in the water heater, propane, and a weight distribution hitch. 

Add another 250 lbs for a full water tank if you plan on boondocking. Popular options are 60 lbs for a second battery, 40 lbs for a second propane cylinder, 50 lbs for a good mattress. At that's before you add any food or personal stuff in the trailer. 

You have to work at it to keep a big rPod below 3500 lbs. My 179 comes in at about 3800 lbs loaded with a tongue weight of about 550 lbs, but I boondock. i wouldn't even think about towing it with a 3500 lbs rated tow vehicle.

Another consideration, is your Sienna front or AWD? Front drive towing much weight can be really problematical. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:57am
BCP, welcome to the board.  I hope you find it useful in enjoying your Pod.  I am truly jealous of the spectacular location for your retirement.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:17am
Welcome!  Lots of good information and mods here.  Enjoy.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
BCProspector View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
Thanks for your response and inputs.
I have considered many options, and used many on line tools to determine the tow capabilities of the Sienna vs the Highlander. Have owned both, and carefully review the torque ratings of the new Toyota line, with the direct and port injection, as well as the 8 speed trannies.
The new engines advertise a higher Torque rating, but at a much higher RPM, which from my experience equates to more fuel consumption on long tow grades. 
The 12.4 inch extra wheelbase on the Sienna provides more directional stability, as well as the extra leverage to support the similar rear overhang of both vehicles.
I agree fully with your comments on ensuring you don't stress the maximum GCWR, given that the Sienna has a higher passenger and payload capacity. We actually travel with the Sienna with rear seats completely removed, and just the wife and I. We have the Sienna configured with a platform bed, and clothes storage in plastic boxes under the platform. The deep well (for the back row seating storage), also gets used for our outdoor kitchen configuration, that we use while exploring the country from our planned trailer base of operations. 
The R-Pod line doesn't provide a lot of volumetric storage, and I can appreciate the extra capacity the Sienna offers to supplement hanging space in the R-Pod line.
Look forward to the experiences of others in balancing the liquid load factors, in particular, the location of the fresh water tank.
Thanks again, "Happy Trials"
Cliff n Sue

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 6:39am
BCProspector, the effect on tongue weight from moving weight around can be calculated this way:

tongue weight change = weight x distance from weight to axle/distance from ball to axle, with weight in front of the axle adding to tongue weight and behind the axle subtracting.

For my 179 the fresh tank is 5.7 ft in front of the axle and the gray tank is 1 ft behind the axle. The ball is 13.1 ft from the axle. A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. So, filling my fresh tank adds 250 lbs of water and 250 x 5.7/13.1 = 108 lbs to the tongue. Filling the gray tank subtracts 250 X 1/13.1 = 19 lbs. So over the course of a camping trip my tongue weight drops by 127 lbs if I use up all my fresh water and add that water to the gray water tank. 

This is where the balancing act comes in, you don't want your tongue weight to be too high for your tow vehicle at the beginning of a trip or below about 10-11% of total trailer weight (that's about where you can start to get trailer sway) at the end of a trip. 

YMMV, the location of the tanks and the distance from the axle to the ball will be different for the different models. 

Hope that helps. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:34am
Thank you. That is the most thorough and helpful calculation for tongue weight change with tank levels that I have seen.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:47pm
When you measure tank positions relative to the axle that is to the center [fore/aft] of the tank?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:26pm
Yes, from the center of the tank or other item to the axle.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>