R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed5 Issues I've Had with My Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 Issues I've Had with My Pod
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:21pm
The below video summarizes the main 5 issues I've had in just shy of 2 years of regular use on the 2017.5 179. Overall these are not major show stoppers, just items most Pod or prospective Pod owners should be aware of. ~PP

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:00am
Nice presentation John.  We feel quite fortunate with our older 177 that was built January 2011, to date, no issues and we have been quite thankful as it appears the newer ones do have more issues to contend with.  Our 3 big issues were: poor quality mattress that was replaced after 3 nights attempting to sleep on it, replacing the foam on the seating area by the table, and replacing the goofy curtain over the rear window with a high quality 2x cell shade that can go up and down easily so we could see out whenever we wished, also doubled as an insulator when we camp in cold weather.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
I agree that these are significant issues. One other one I have had in our 179 is the flap that covers the area below the refrigerator. It falls off too easily. The factory installation was just three screws into the aluminum frame. These were totally inadequate for the task. I have used anchors into the frame. That helps. It was just to the dealer for repair. I noticed that there are two more screws into the frame now. I don't know what they did with my anchors as I have not taken that apart to see.

I have not had any problems with the ottoman. think it would take quite a bit of force to have the issue you had with it. The way the screw holes were extended in the video makes me suspect the lid was not on and the slide hit it as it was being retracted. I could see a problem if the lid were not on all the way and the slide hit it when it was being retracted, but ours sits down and stays in place so we have not had an issue. We did move it to allow me to re-do my table and support it between the ottomans when the slide is retracted (see my mods). It has not moved or become loose either before or after doing so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
No issues with our 190.........knocking on wood.
Nice presentation. 
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
a little over a year after we purchased our 179 the back window above the sink began to leak.  When I got to looking at it, at the top outside part of the window there was ~ 1/2" gap between the wall and the window frame and the caulking was pulling apart.  When the repairman pulled the window frame out more than half of the screws were missing and the others were badly rusted.  Evidently the sloped trailer panel doesn't fit a straight window frame well.  Aside from that we've had very few problems.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:09pm
I had tightened the screws in the window frame as the caulking in my 179 was getting pulled apart also. It also looked like it had gaps from being installed quickly and not being smoothed very well. I removed as much as possible and re-did the caulking with fresh silicone RTV sealant.
When it went to the factory for repair after our accident (see "I wrecked our escaPod"), the roof was replaced so the window came out and was reinstalled. I again had to tighten the screws but we also had a leak that was a little harder to figure out. I finally traced it to the little seam in the frame on the top where the frame comes together after being bent into shape. I added some silicone RTV sealant to that seam and all was well.
I agree fully that a flat window on a curved surface is not a good design choice. I spoke with some of the Forest River people at the 10th Anniversary Rally at the Kentucky Mini-Mini last October about it. I was told that this was being addressed. They thought they had a solution, but it did not work. They were testing another solution that looked promising. I did not get enough information to do more than guess at what that potential solution was.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:20pm
No issues with window, and today I finished sealing spoiler, never did leak, but I wanted ahead of problems.

Panel separation is deal I have seen. With 178s especially at front passenger side, where floor drops below front panel. I have helped 3/4 folks with same issue on 178s. Once it drops and gets wet it is more difficult to repair and I haven't figured out reason to date. Talking with folks, every instance we fixed. Mine has never dropped again.

John, As I recall you had flex crack issues that were dealer repaired.

Almost ready for next season.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:25pm

19/189 RPod by Forest River

Mine has been back for these issues (#) or I have repaired them myself (@)

#Switches, two switches shorted due to improper wiring. 

#Switch base plates straight and all wires safely and correctly installed

#Overhead bathroom vent functions properly, motor fried. Replaced entire vent assembly

#Water heater inop, replaced with new water heater

#Slide out dead motor, replaced motor twice

#Leaks at rear of trailer at tail light assembly 

#Thermostat operation, works intermittently, new thermostat

#Have them leak check outside compartment doors. Mine leak every time it rains. All seals replaced. One is still leaking. 

@All Screws in hinges, over sized holes and multiple holes

@Insure all panels on slide out are secure and properly attached, panels keep falling off. I added additional screws.

@Drawer slides for proper straight installation

@Window seals for excessive shrinkage and separation. 

@Take a close look at all water connections. Especially commode and under sink connections. Multiple Leaks, joints keep vibrating loose. 

Michael
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:57pm
mcarter, you are correct on mine having the stress fractures last year in the intense FL sun. I tried to limit the five items to what I've seen as common issues showing up here and on the FB group posts. I think the stress fractures were somewhat of an anomaly. FR did fully fix the issue and I haven't seen any recurrence. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:58pm
Good job.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>