Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:32pm
Richand Cindy,

No argument there, it is expensive. Just an idea.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Dave D. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:41pm
Good stuff, thanks - what you recommend is what I've been leaning towards based on all that I have researched so far. That said, I understand how quickly things can change when it comes to mobile Internet.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:57pm
If you have a recent (last few years) vintage smartphone and a mobile data plan then if should be a simple thing to turn the smartphone into a WiFi hotspot. On iPhones its settings>personal hotspot. Key the password you see there into your tablet, laptop, or other WiFi device and connect.

Not sure where it is on Android phones.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dave D. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:02pm
Just got a new Android a week ago, will check it out (haven't activated it yet on Verizon). I read about the option you mentioned and the bottom line is I am going to have to experiment with the options before I head out and expect to be online 24/7 or even close to that. It's work related so I need to make sure I'm ready before heading off. Thanks to everyone for all the info - good stuff.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 7:09pm
Even with an RPod, visibility can be limited. For our Nissan Frontier, I purchased a set of heated power towing mirrors  from 1A Auto. I looked and there are towing mirrors for the Tacoma as well in various configurations including some with turn signals and blind spot detection. They are not cheap, $159.95 and up depending on features, but the additional visibility is great since you can then see things behind the RPod better than with stock mirrors.

They make my little Frontier look all grown up. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:29pm
Getting back to your internet access, you may want to check out Visible (link to their web site). This is a new wireless service created by Verizon. From what I understand, it is the same as Verizon service, except that it is truly unlimited, and prepaid at $40/month. It hasn't gotten a lot of press, but the idea is to offer a simpler plans with no stores and other overhead (like maybe advertising).

I know that Verizon is heads and shoulders above most other carriers, especially out west. There are huge areas of the country with not many people, and way too many mountains; both combine to make offering cell service a challenge. There are many places I've gone where Verizon is the only service available.

I would also suggest caution with cell repeaters/boosters. If you can not keep the indoor and outdoor antennas far enough apart, all you get is self-interference. It helps if you have a metal roof, but that is not an R-pod.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 10:30pm
Agree.  The phone needs to be able to act as a hotspot.  Newer Android phones have it.  So you need to check to see if your phone is hotspot capable.  That being said it is a feature that must be turned on by your cell carrier.  But every company is different. We had Metro PCS and they did not allow the hotspot feature to be turned on at any price.  But they gave away for free a hotspot device and then charged $10 month for 10gb.  The device has its own phone number and after 1 0r 3 months (cannot remember) we were able to switch it to another carrier.  So we were able to bring our own phone and our own hotspot device to another carrier. 
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 12:00am
Welcome! Your plans sounds great, you're going to really enjoy your RPod. I'll add on re the usefulness of Verizon out here in the west with mountains, valleys, desert, etc. Just this past few days I was in the coast mountains of central California and the only phones working were on Verizon. My guy and I have had this same experience in many regions, including in the coast mountains where we live. Have fun doing your research and we'll look forward to hearing which one you choose. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:23am
When I lived in CA I had Verizon. Much better most places on the West Coast. Now that I live in NC I’m on ATT. It’s better in a couple areas I camp in often. YMMV, check the coverage map app for the areas you plan to visit and then decide.

I’ve not had any issues with signal booster interference. The booster has an alarm light for that. I use the magnetic antenna that comes with the Wilson system on the TV roof which is steel. On the rpod I use the high gain directional antenna which is way up on top of a 20 ft extension pole.

That also allows me to move the booster to the TV quickly when I’m set up at camp. I’ve had several times when I got a poor signal at the campsite which was down in a hollow but a couple miles away on higher ground I could pick it up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:04am
Signal boosters can really burn you. We had a client who hired another consultant to install a booster for a facility in the mountains. I think they spent a total of $15,000 on the system, and it didn't work worth a darn. I know the consultant very well, and he is sharp. The problem was the facility was just too far from any cell tower.

We ended up switching them to a cluster of femtocells scattered around the facility which operated through the broadband system we had installed. They are still using the femtocells now 8 years later, although they will probably switch to a WiFi-based system now that that is becoming more common (and that still goes through their broadband service). 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>