R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires
    Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:11pm
I am trying to order a set of Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires for my 2015  179 pod and I thought the size I needed were 235/75R 15 D rated tires.  But looking online all I could find were 205 and 225/75R 15.  My pod is currently located 2 hours away in storage and I don't want to drive that far to verify the size.  Anybody know the real size?  I appreciate any and all help!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 9:26pm
Given your location, I am guessing that your RPod is the Hood River Edition. Please confirm. It makes a difference as the Midwest Edition came stock with 14" wheels. My 2016 RP179 Midwest Edition which was built in 2015 came with 14" wheels. In this case, it is better to make the drive than to order tires and then have to sell them at a loss. Is there anyone closer to where it is that could check them for you?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 5:02am
I've never seen a 235/75r15 trailer tire. If you have that on your rPod its probably a vehicle tire. If you know for sure you already have 15 inch tires and wheels (OE in the West on the Hood River version) then the 225/75 R15 LRD's you're planning on will work fine, and better than using a vehicle tire. 

If you think you might have 14 inch tires and wheels (which are the OE standard on the Midwest rPods) then you should have someone check that for you as StephenH suggests.

If you do have the 14 inch tires and wheels then you might still want to go ahead with your 15 tire purchase and also buy 15 inch wheels. The 14 inch LRD's while an improvement over the OE 14 inch LRC's are still only rated at about 2000 lbs while the 225 75R15 LRD's are good for about 2500 lbs. Every little bit helps. 

That's what I did, you can buy them premounted here for a reasonable price, saved at least $50 not having to mount them.

https://www.easternmarine.com/loadstar-st225-75r-15-radial-tire-aluminum-split-spoke-rim-5-lug-lrd

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:14am
HRE's come with a light truck sized tire, NOT a trailer sized tire.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:29am
That explains it. Then you can get a upgrade in load carrying capacity by changing to the 225 75R15 LRD trailer tire. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:22am
Originally posted by furpod

HRE's come with a light truck sized tire, NOT a trailer sized tire.

I know this subject came up a while ago but the 'search' function failed to reveal it. Very frustrating.

Please educate me.

?Is there ANY valid reason to use a light truck tire on a travel trailer?

e-trailer 'expert opinion' - "Light truck tires are a type of passenger vehicle tire and as such they are not built with as thick of a sidewall as trailer tires. A thicker sidewall allows a trailer tire to handle more vertical load."

"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:31am
I am NOT a tire expert.
However, I have personally found that the new Goodyear Endurance tires do in fact have a significantly stronger sidewall than my previous Maxxis and the original china bombs. I think the ride has improved and the pod does not bounce up and down as much as before the Goodyears were installed.
I increased the load range and feel more comfortable with the new tires. I have used them for 3 relatively long trips(3000+ miles) and am happy so far.
Just my 2 cents-other opinions may vary
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:47am
No valid reason I can think of, other than the LT tire tread pattern supporting the HRE's "off road" image.  It will just result in higher rolling resistance and more rapid tire wear. And 179's have pretty high axle, wheel, and tire loadings. 

I agree with etrailer, its a trailer, use a trailer tire. Tire Rack also agrees:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
craigwood View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:06am
Thanks for all the quick replies.  Yes, we have the HRE model 2015 179 and I know they are 15 inch rims.  I looked at them recently and I remember LT 2?5/75 R15 load range C West Lake (originals) and I was thinking the ? was a 3 but easily could have been a 2.  I know many on this (GREAT) forum have suggested the Carlisle Trail for it's stiffer/thicker sidewalls and higher pressure capacity and load range (D).  Maybe I should make the drive to verify the tire size before ordering anything.  Thanks again!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:17am
If you know you have 15 inch wheels you'll be fine with the 225/75R15's, no need to make a special trip.

Just to be clear, and I'm not in any way criticizing Carlisle, but many companies make 225/75R15 LRD trailer tires, so you have plenty of choices.  Smile

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>