R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFastWay e2 600/6000 Trunnion Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FastWay e2 600/6000 Trunnion Hitch
    Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by michaeln

GlueGuy I just noticed, your e2 is the round bar version, mine is the trunnion.  The heads are different.
Whoops. Right. Forgot that.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:36pm
The new hitch head arrived today.  It is exactly the same as the one that came in the hitch package, ie: 3/16" gap between rivet head and shank with 3 washers.  Less space with 4 washers but the rivet still rattles around and has a gap.

This is what I thought I would find.  Wrote to FastWay support, the ball is back in their court.  I also posted a review of this thing with my saga on the etrailer site where I bought it, but they won't publish it because it is a negative review.  That's why you only see 4 and 5 star reviews on their site.  
---
Avery, CA
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:42pm
NOW they come back and say that "you won't get any effect with less than five washers", which is what I already told them multiple times.  They want me to put it back together with five washers and try the middle holes for the L brackets, and if that is too much, try the next set of holes down, and if that is still too much try the LOWEST set of holes.

That is what I already did to begin with, and I even supplied them with all the measurements.  What they SHOULD do with this setup is swap it out for the 450/4000 since my beefed up Tacoma and this light 171 only has 380lbs MEASURED tongue weight.

I tell ya, I wish I had never heard of FastWay.
---
Avery, CA
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:56pm
Now they say the 450/4000 would not be any different on my rig.  So at this point I guess I put the whole mess on Craigslist and get what I can out of it (won't be much) and try to forget I ever heard of FastWay and e2.
---
Avery, CA
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm
Darn curious why it's not working on your Tacoma, and it works just fine on our F-150 which has an additional 5000 lbs of capacity. Of course, we're using the round bar instead of the trunion, but I would not expect that to make that much of a difference. We also have a Tacoma, but we've never pulled the R-pod with it. As the receiver height is almost identical, I would have guessed we could almost just swap it over without adjustment.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:38pm
If you only get a tiny increase in front axle height without the wdh then there is no adjustment you can do with it that will change that. With your rig it looks like weight distribution is not really required. But I wouldn’t give up on your hitch just yet, additional sway control can’t hurt. I’m not clear how sway control on the E2 works, can someone who has one clarify if you can still get sway control with this hitch if it’s untensioned or only very lightly tensioned?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:40pm
Wow, your F-150 has 11500 lbs capacity?  I would not have thought it was that high.

Oh well, it's not the first time I have wasted money, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
---
Avery, CA
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:47pm
Since it is clear I don't need weight distribution with the light 171 and beefed up Tacoma, I am considering getting the Hayes Sway Master.  It works electronically to sense the beginnings of sway and promptly applying the correct amount of trailer brakes to bring it back in line.  

There is also the Tuson one that uses the brakes too but it uses them differentially where the Hayes applies both brakes.  The Tuson costs about double and is a way more complicated install because you have to tap into the individual brake wiring.  That seems more complex than it needs to be.
---
Avery, CA
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:39pm
That direction certainly makes sense. I wish we were closer, I’d like to change to an E2 from my current wdh. But you’re probably better off selling it locally on CL.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:06pm
I just installed a Hayes Sway Master, but have not towed the pod anywhere in this frozen wonderland. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>