R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFastWay e2 600/6000 Trunnion Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: FastWay e2 600/6000 Trunnion Hitch
    Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:17am
I just did this, I needed a new ball hitch for my sailboat.  Amazon wanted 400+ for the wrench, so it was cheaper to find someone with the wrench and a few minutes to spare.

I asked my local mechanic if he had a torque wrench and if he would help.  He agreed.  But he didn't have a socket big enough for the hitch nut. I went to NAPA and purchased a socket and a short extension, then went back to the mechanic and we got it torqued on.  I would imagine that local RV places would have the appropriate torque wrench as well.

One thing we did to make it easier was to put the hitch in the receiver turned 90 degrees,  This allowed us to use the floor to get more torque.  We also used an extension tube to get enough leverage.

Good luck,

Sean

Sean & Christine Whitney
2002 F150
2016 179HRE
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:26am
Originally posted by offgrid

I don’t have a torque wrench with that capacity either. Here’s how I would do it:

Place the hitch temporarily in the receiver at a 90 degree angle. Install the ball, lock and nut.    Put a box end wrench on the nut and tighten until the lock is crushed. divide 430 by your weight and multiply by 12. Put a piece of tape on the wrench handle that number of inches from the center of the nut. Using something to balance so you don’t fall, step firmly with your full weight on the tape spot and bounce up and down gently a few times.

That should do it.
This works. All it takes is a little math. Years ago, we had a next door neighbor with a 40' class A RV. I don't remember the brand or model or even what the torque was on the giant lug nuts on that vehicle were. Dale was not a big guy; maybe about 160 lbs. That's exactly what he did; he calculated what length moment arm he needed & put a piece of tape on a large bar. Then he stood on the tape while I held him steady. Job done.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:29am
Thanks for the ball torque suggestions folks.  I doubt it will get to that point though, because I don't think the head they are sending me will be any different than the one I have now.  I won't be swapping the ball until I see that the angle adjustment bolt on the new one can close up the gap between the rivet head and the shank, and I doubt it will.

We'll see.

I had the ball torqued by a tire shop I do a lot of business with (they used a 1" drive adjustable  & calibrated air impact gun to do it), and they did not charge me.  I tipped the guy twenty bucks though.  If I have to do it again I will take it back to them for the work.

---
Avery, CA
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:32am
Chock up another win for gravity.....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I don’t have a torque wrench with that capacity either. Here’s how I would do it:

Place the hitch temporarily in the receiver at a 90 degree angle. Install the ball, lock and nut.    Put a box end wrench on the nut and tighten until the lock is crushed. divide 430 by your weight and multiply by 12. Put a piece of tape on the wrench handle that number of inches from the center of the nut. Using something to balance so you don’t fall, step firmly with your full weight on the tape spot and bounce up and down gently a few times.

That should do it.

Exactly what I did. I knew how long the wrench was -- 23 inches -- and I needed about 19 inches from center for my weight (280 lbs), so I just eyeballed the spot to stand on. I figured it was close enough. If you don't weigh much, you could add a cheater bar to the wrench to get the length you need.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:12pm
I used the friendly mechanic wrench method.  They were more than happy to oblige. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 5:09pm
Maybe you can post a picture of your E2 head assembly? 

I was just looking at ours, and it either has 2 very thick washers, or 4 relatively thin washers. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there might be 4 thin ones, but that's not my main point.

I got out a short decimal measure, and measured the distance between the insert/drop-down bar and the inside face of the hitch head. I measured 0.8" in that space, and hopefully you can see it in the picture below. What does yours measure (irrespective of how many washers are in there)?

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:46pm
Mine measures about 0.78 or so there.
---
Avery, CA
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:55pm
Here are pics using 3 washers and with the adjustment bolt turned in hard against the shank as far as it will go.  There is about 3/16" clearance between the rivet head and the shank.  The rivet is free to move back and forth that much.

---
Avery, CA
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:32am
GlueGuy I just noticed, your e2 is the round bar version, mine is the trunnion.  The heads are different.
---
Avery, CA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>