R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical Hookups When Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Do you use electrical hookups when you camp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [17.95%]
12 [30.77%]
9 [23.08%]
10 [25.64%]
1 [2.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Hookups When Camping?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm
Fellow campers, how often do you have electrical hookups available where you camp? When hookups are not available, how long do you go without hookups, and do you use additional batteries, solar, tow vehicle charging, and/or a generator to extend your stay? Any other comments also encouraged of course.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm
I use hookups only occasionally, usually in the summer to run air conditioning to get through a hot night while driving to a cooler location.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:33pm
I moved away from off grid camping, did it for years, now I want comforts and no stress.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:02pm
For me, deciding where to camp is more about ambiance.  For instance, we go to the Outer Banks pretty often. It's very easy to stay at a private campground or at a National Seashore campground (which, until last fall, had no hookups -- they've added a few sites with hookups and will be adding more I understand).  We choose the National Seashore campgrounds for the beauty, location, and for the space between sites.  (These factors vary considerably among the NS campgrounds at OBX.)  The alternative is to stay someplace that seems more like a crowded trailer park.  I want to be able to sit and read outside without smelling my neighbor's feet or listen to their arguments.  The lower fees are a bonus.  I can get by quite well without cable and a swimming pool, but I understand to each is own.

I don't turn down hookups if most of my other requirements are met.  Hookups can be very nice.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:20pm
I have solar, two deep cycle batteries, a Wave 3 heater, and a Honda generator as backup.  I don't see camping as going to a campground with hookups.  We have had hookups but only as a last resort.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:34pm
My setup is similar to geewizard's, except I use the standard rPod furnace. Two propane cylinders. Typical off grid stay is 5-7 days, limited by fresh water tank size, the desire to see some new scenery, and/or my wife's work schedule. I don't experience any limitations on electric usage unless we need air conditioning. The generator doesn't really help much for that because of campground quiet hours. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:07pm
We have typically stuck with Provincial or National parks when camping.  Our experience with private campgrounds has been OK, but crowded and not friendly to a family of greater than 2 kids.  
About 50% of the sites in provincial parks are electrical, and we tend to book those now.  For years, a couple of our kids refused to let us book electrical because "that's just not camping!" :-)  But when we can enjoy a rainy day in the trailer - they started to see the advantage! :-D

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:41pm
Although the poll states I cannot vote for reasons unknown, I will cast my vote here.  We tend to gravitate toward national parks, forests, state lands where electricity is not available.  Having tent and pop up camped for 35 years before purchasing our 177 in 2011, we never had a need for electricity and even now, not having A/C, microwave/convection oven, or entertainment system, don't have a need for it now either.  Both batteries, now 8+ years old have given a lot of dependable service and they are relied upon heavily.  There have been times when there have been few options and have had to go to a location that has electricity, but like a few posters have already mentioned, it is nice to have "space" between you and your neighbors.  Can't imagine shelling out 50 or more bucks/night at a KOA but did go to a similar venue in Traverse City a few years ago for the ERU, and that was a lot of fun because of the comaradarie of meeting and hanging out with a lot of fellow podders.  Our preference is the 10 dollar a night deal at national parks/forests. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:47pm
For us, we almost always camp in Forest Service or state/federal park campgrounds.  As a last resort we'll go to an RV park, but we don't like being sandwiched between two class A motorhomes with their machinery going off and on all night.  If an RV park has lots of space between the parking spaces, then it can be quite pleasant, but that is the exception to the rule from our experience.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 6:19am

This question is kind of tough, for me. There is what I like/prefer but, on the other hand, there is what I need.

I prefer no hook ups/primitive. However, when temperatures are much above 80 degrees, I need electrical to run the A/C, to provide Dixie (my dog) with a cool/safe environment.

So, I voted half/half.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>