R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical Hookups When Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Do you use electrical hookups when you camp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [17.95%]
12 [30.77%]
9 [23.08%]
10 [25.64%]
1 [2.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Hookups When Camping?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 3:28am
StephenH, let me first define what I meant by "high current". That depends on what your alternator can produce at idle, which is quite a bit less than at normal engine operating speeds. My alt produces about 120A at idle. Subtracting engine electrical demands (electronics, ignition, radiator fans, etc) a net of about 75-80A is available.  Beware of aftermarket high current alternators because they are typically designed to produce their max current at high engine rpm, which actually reduces their idle current capacity in most cases. 

The problem is that the alt won't produce that 80A at its max output voltage. I get the 80A at more like 12.5V, above which it tapers off to zero at 14.4V. On top of that there are the resistive losses in the cables connecting the TV to the trailer. You're fighting voltage drops between two circuits that want to be at the same voltage. So you can't directly float charge your trailer batteries from your TV alt, unless you want to idle your TV for many hours, which is both impractical and inefficient.

However, by using short runs of heavy gauge conductors you can directly bulk charge the trailer battery, and then use solar or occasional ac charger operation to complete the charging process. Doing it that way I'd suggest at least 2/0 (preferably 4/0 cable) and short runs directly from the alternator terminals to the trailer battery with the vehicles parked nose to nose. Anderson style connectors can be used to connect the two. 

I plan to do something a little different to get around the voltage drop problem. My plan is to convert the trailer to 24V Li batteries and use dc/dc step up converters for charging. That eliminates the concern with voltage drops as well as eliminating the need for float charging entirely (Li batteries don't require it). 

But the simple way with short heavy gauge conductors and normal 12V PbA batteries should work fine as long as you have an alternative way to complete the absorption and float charge process, which does't need to be done every day. 

Before doing away with your generator I'd suggest both measuring your TV alternator capacity and also its fuel consumption at idle. My TV burns about 1/4-1/3 gallon per hour at idle with no load so its really pretty efficient as long as I keep the charge rates high and then shut it off. And the biggest benefit is its very quiet, I can barely hear it 20 ft away, compared to the high noise level of even a "quiet" inverter-generator. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:04pm
We like   min. of electric hookup. Prov. parks because of usually large sites. But like cg's with hiking and good canoeing.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by offgrid

There is an interesting technology available to address the 15A ac circuit limitation. You can consider getting a hybrid inverter/charger. This replaces your current charger and acts bidirectionally to both charge your batteries (much faster than the existing charger) as well as run your ac loads. It can be programmed to operate in parallel with a limited ac source like a 15A circuit or a 2kW genny so that the batteries provide any extra power needed to run peak loads and get recharged when the heavy loads cycle off. You can for example set the inverter to limit external source loading to a maximum of 13A. 
Sounds quite interesting. I'll have to check it out.
The drawbacks are cost and weight. These are low frequency inverters so have heavy magnetics. Generally they weigh around 60 lbs for a 3kW model. Costs range around $750 to $1500 depending on which brand you choose. These are pretty smart inverters so most can also be set up for Li battery charging, which offsets some of the cost hit if you're planning to get the lead out at the same time.
That kind of rules it out for a while. Both the weight and cost are more than I want at this time.
If I was going to spend a lot of time connected to a limited output ac source I would definitely consider getting one, but I'm planning to move over to high current dc tow vehicle charging while not grid connected, allowing me to leave my generator at home. And I don't expect to find myself plugged into 15A circuits very often, if ever.

Please explain how you are going to accomplish the "high current dc tow vehicle charging . . . ."
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:56pm
Nope, generator use doesn't count as a hookup, for the purposes of this survey hookups mean grid connections. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:17pm
Does using a generator count as an electrical hookup? If so, then I'd have to vote "about half the time".
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:00am
There is an interesting technology available to address the 15A ac circuit limitation. You can consider getting a hybrid inverter/charger. This replaces your current charger and acts bidirectionally to both charge your batteries (much faster than the existing charger) as well as run your ac loads. It can be programmed to operate in parallel with a limited ac source like a 15A circuit or a 2kW genny so that the batteries provide any extra power needed to run peak loads and get recharged when the heavy loads cycle off. You can for example set the inverter to limit external source loading to a maximum of 13A.  

The drawbacks are cost and weight. These are low frequency inverters so have heavy magnetics. Generally they weigh around 60 lbs for a 3kW model. Costs range around $750 to $1500 depending on which brand you choose. These are pretty smart inverters so most can also be set up for Li battery charging, which offsets some of the cost hit if you're planning to get the lead out at the same time. 

If I was going to spend a lot of time connected to a limited output ac source I would definitely consider getting one, but I'm planning to move over to high current dc tow vehicle charging while not grid connected, allowing me to leave my generator at home. And I don't expect to find myself plugged into 15A circuits very often, if ever.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:07pm
Only way to go!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:52pm
I have not fully calculated, but I expect we can count ourselves in the "not very often" category, which is my vote. We spend a lot of time on the road with overnight stops with no connections. Some of our time was spent in driveways of friends where we had partial connections (15A electricity, no water or sewer). That 15A also meant that we still mainly operated on propane since I wanted to be a good guest and not run up the power bill. Plus 15A is not sufficient for running the AC anyway. It made sure the batteries stayed charged.

We have stayed with full hook-ups and do appreciate it when we have them. Most recently was at the Kentucky Mini-Mini/ 10th Anniversary R-Pod Rally. However, these times seem to be more the exception. We have stayed at a state park in Vermont twice which had no connections available except for the camp host (not us). I guess for us, there are too many places to see to sit in one spot for too long. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:59pm
Ditto on the dog.... Usually our dog and temp dictate if we need hookups.
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:55am
Half and half....when on the road doing one nighters it's either a rest area or a state or county park. Destinations are almost always state, county or national parks so electricity is hit or miss. Two 6v and solar panels on the roof allow us to boondock for about a week before we need to dump and refill. 

We try an avoid private campgrounds, but use them some times when rolling to and from home on a long trip. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>