R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectrical Hookups When Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Do you use electrical hookups when you camp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [17.95%]
12 [30.77%]
9 [23.08%]
10 [25.64%]
1 [2.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Hookups When Camping?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:28pm
Well so far this (limited) survey would tell us that about 80% of rPod owners on this forum use their trailers without electrical hookups at least some of the time and around half use them without electrical hookups at least half the time. Most everyone is OK to use hookups when convenient though. 

So the segment of rPod owners who inhabit this forum seem to be independent pragmatists, we like our privacy and solitude while camping but aren't purists about it. Not sure how representative we are of rPod or small trailer owners in general but this seems to be in pretty good alignment with my expectations for this group. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:34pm
Okay. Thanks for the additional clarification.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:11am
Are there any brands of alternators that would be suitable? There is a whole cottage industry dedicated to providing high current alts and other gear to the folks who run giant amps and speakers for their car stereos. But they're pricey.  Also, how do you measure the output of your alternator? By connecting it to a discharged battery and measuring output current with a dc clamp on. Is the output affected by the battery's state of charge? yes for sure. IOW, if the battery is charged, does the voltage regulator then cut the current so the battery won't be overcharged? Modern alts have voltage regulation built in and taper to zero current at about 14.4V If so, how does this affect the ability to charge the trailer's battery/batteries? The output current drops as the batteries reach higher voltages and states of charge. It almost seems like a separate alternator and charging circuit would be needed for optimal charging so the TV's charging is isolated from the trailer's charging. I don't think this is necessary, you won't harm the TV battery unless you connect the TV to a discharged trailer battery and then forget to recharge. 

With short cables, it should not cost too much. I don't want to think about how much it would cost to run two 4/0 cables the length of our Frontier. Yep, copper is spendy. If you keep it short 2/0 is probably sufficient, its the total voltage drop which is the issue, which is a function of current, wire size, and distance. 

How do you plan to step that down for the refrigerator, furnace, and AC? To convert those for 24V use would not be inexpensive I would think. I plan a 24 to 12 dc to dc converter which is pretty cheap. I'll also have a small 12V battery as a buffer. The aircon is 120vac so would run from an inverter anyway.  24Vdc inverters are common and more efficient than 12V ones.

With the information you gave me here, I don't think I will be trying this any time soon. Perhaps when I upgrade TV's, I will make sure the output is sufficient. In theory, the Frontier's alternator is 110A. Whether that is the actual capacity given the age, I am not sure. When I clamped my meter to the positive terminal when the engine was running, it was not measuring anything near 110A. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was a fraction of the 110A rated capacity. My alt is rated at 150A but that is not at idle rpm where it is lower. I'm sure yours will be the same. You'd need to discharge a battery to lower the charging voltage and measure it to be sure. If you measure the alt current with a charged battery its output current will be equal to whatever the load is on the TV 12v system happens to be at that moment so the measurement will be meaningless. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by offgrid

StephenH, let me first define what I meant by "high current". That depends on what your alternator can produce at idle, which is quite a bit less than at normal engine operating speeds. My alt produces about 120A at idle. Subtracting engine electrical demands (electronics, ignition, radiator fans, etc) a net of about 75-80A is available.  Beware of aftermarket high current alternators because they are typically designed to produce their max current at high engine rpm, which actually reduces their idle current capacity in most cases.
Are there any brands of alternators that would be suitable? Also, how do you measure the output of your alternator? Is the output affected by the battery's state of charge? IOW, if the battery is charged, does the voltage regulator then cut the current so the battery won't be overcharged? If so, how does this affect the ability to charge the trailer's battery/batteries? It almost seems like a separate alternator and charging circuit would be needed for optimal charging so the TV's charging is isolated from the trailer's charging.
The problem is that the alt won't produce that 80A at its max output voltage. I get the 80A at more like 12.5V, above which it tapers off to zero at 14.4V. On top of that there are the resistive losses in the cables connecting the TV to the trailer. You're fighting voltage drops between two circuits that want to be at the same voltage. So you can't directly float charge your trailer batteries from your TV alt, unless you want to idle your TV for many hours, which is both impractical and inefficient.
Agreed. I don't use the TV for that. My generator connected to the trailer and letting the converter charge the battery seems to be much better. I don't worry about float charging when I am not connected. If we are camping without electric, I have used the generator every second or third day to charge the batteries during the times when generator use is permitted. Most of the time, we are not in one place long enough to be concerned. The batteries charge while we are towing.
However, by using short runs of heavy gauge conductors you can directly bulk charge the trailer battery, and then use solar or occasional ac charger operation to complete the charging process. Doing it that way I'd suggest at least 2/0 (preferably 4/0 cable) and short runs directly from the alternator terminals to the trailer battery with the vehicles parked nose to nose. Anderson style connectors can be used to connect the two.
With short cables, it should not cost too much. I don't want to think about how much it would cost to run two 4/0 cables the length of our Frontier.
I plan to do something a little different to get around the voltage drop problem. My plan is to convert the trailer to 24V Li batteries and use dc/dc step up converters for charging. That eliminates the concern with voltage drops as well as eliminating the need for float charging entirely (Li batteries don't require it).
How do you plan to step that down for the refrigerator, furnace, and AC? To convert those for 24V use would not be inexpensive I would think.
But the simple way with short heavy gauge conductors and normal 12V PbA batteries should work fine as long as you have an alternative way to complete the absorption and float charge process, which does't need to be done every day. 

Before doing away with your generator I'd suggest both measuring your TV alternator capacity and also its fuel consumption at idle. My TV burns about 1/4-1/3 gallon per hour at idle with no load so its really pretty efficient as long as I keep the charge rates high and then shut it off. And the biggest benefit is its very quiet, I can barely hear it 20 ft away, compared to the high noise level of even a "quiet" inverter-generator. 
With the information you gave me here, I don't think I will be trying this any time soon. Perhaps when I upgrade TV's, I will make sure the output is sufficient. In theory, the Frontier's alternator is 110A. Whether that is the actual capacity given the age, I am not sure. When I clamped my meter to the positive terminal when the engine was running, it was not measuring anything near 110A. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was a fraction of the 110A rated capacity.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:18am

furpod, interesting you should mention the Prius as a charging source. I own one and love it and was originally thinking about buying a Highlander Hybrid as my TV. But the HiHi doesn't have an adequate tow rating for an rPod.  And unfortunately, to my knowledge you can't get an inverter that runs at 200Vdc from the Prius traction battery in the States. Apparently Toyota does sell one in Japan but its 230V/50Hz. 

Even if I could use my Prius to run my house here in the OBX in the event of a power outage, I wouldn't plan on doing it. My portable genny stays upstairs where its both above flood levels and accessible afterwards. A Prius is a bit heavy to carry upstairs LOL. My cars end up parked on high ground somewhere away from the house during weather events so they don't get flooded. 

Yes.. it's not right for everybody.. but.. some owners are doing some crazy stuff. None of it sanctioned, supported, or even recognized by Toyota.. My parents own a hybrid, doing some research a couple years ago, I came across a couple forums with sections about mods, equipment builds etc.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
furpod, interesting you should mention the Prius as a charging source. I own one and love it and was originally thinking about buying a Highlander Hybrid as my TV. But the HiHi doesn't have an adequate tow rating for an rPod.  And unfortunately, to my knowledge you can't get an inverter that runs at 200Vdc from the Prius traction battery in the States. Apparently Toyota does sell one in Japan but its 230V/50Hz. 

Even if I could use my Prius to run my house here in the OBX in the event of a power outage, I wouldn't plan on doing it. My portable genny stays upstairs where its both above flood levels and accessible afterwards. A Prius is a bit heavy to carry upstairs LOL. My cars end up parked on high ground somewhere away from the house during weather events so they don't get flooded. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
michaeln View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:59am
I would use the full hookups if I were in a campground where they were available, sure.  But places where they are available tend to be the type of place I would not want to camp in.  

I am a loaner and prefer camping places that are less crowded and so I have more space around me not occupied by other folks and their gear.
---
Avery, CA
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:48am

Motor7, sorry for causing confusion.

I don't think there is an issue with TV's struggling to charge while towing. StephenH asked how I was planning to eliminate using my genny while camping.  For that its preferable to have faster charge rates than you do while towing so you're not idling your TV for many hours. If you're driving anyway the slower charge rates aren't costing you anything. 

And yes you can certainly charge your trailer from rooftop solar while on the road. And driving down the highway your solar modules wouldn't be shaded. You wouldn't need to disconnect the TV charge circuit either, both can operate together. 

So.. what OG is saying is, he is going to use his truck as a generator. It is a good way to go for several reasons, we always recommend you carry jumper cables in your truck, that is the fastest way to add charge to a TT battery in an emergency.

On a slight side note, there are some interesting groups out there in the hybrid car world, esp. the Prius, using their cars as a small power wall, and lots of mods to their cars and homes to do it. Not for me, but interesting.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:30am
Motor7, sorry for causing confusion.

I don't think there is an issue with TV's struggling to charge while towing. StephenH asked how I was planning to eliminate using my genny while camping.  For that its preferable to have faster charge rates than you do while towing so you're not idling your TV for many hours. If you're driving anyway the slower charge rates aren't costing you anything. 

And yes you can certainly charge your trailer from rooftop solar while on the road. And driving down the highway your solar modules wouldn't be shaded. You wouldn't need to disconnect the TV charge circuit either, both can operate together. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:13am
OG, if the TV struggles to charge while towing, could you just disconnect the TV charge circuit and let the roof solar panels charge up the batteries while towing? 
2016 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>