Topic ClosedLet's be careful

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's be careful
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:35am
Originally posted by lostagain

Happy, I agree with you that freedom of speech is important but we also have to keep in mind that there is a difference in freedom of speech in a private setting as opposed to a governmental entity trying to limit speech.  Here we have a private forum and though such freedom is important, it is also important to keep in mind that if political/religious/gun discussions get started here they can spin out of control at the speed of light, or at least the movement of electrons in the internet, and turn into a bitter battle.  This has happened in the past.  So freedom of speech in a private context is a very different concept that it would be if you wanted to publish a news paper.
Excessive political correctness [which includes excessive religious correctness] is also tricky situation.  Different folks have different levels of sensitivity.  Though in an ideal world, we should all have thick skins and not let someone else's comment get to us, it happens and big arguments start.  Thus, in an effort to avoid these unnecessary conflicts and continue sharing valuable information, it is best to err on the side of being a little too good mannered rather than overly blunt.  
The problem that we all face is when does something become "excessive" in regard to the topics to be avoided.  That's an impossible question to answer as each person has his/her own level of tolerance.  Again, maybe the best course of action is to err on the side of caution and to try to be as factual as one may be under the circumstances.  
On this board, and I've moderated other boards, we have a very good balance.  Let's keep it that way.

Very well stated. Thank you!

The "religious" folks, over the years, have caused me more grief than all others combined...by a wide margin.

One issue is that even one ignored instance "opens the door" and things begin to spiral out of control very quickly. Also, IMHO, we tend to think in the very narrow terms that everyone believes the same as we do and/or that our beliefs are somehow superior to those of others. We MUST defiantly break any rule or custom that would get in the way of imposing our beliefs on the "unwashed".

I chaff at the term "political correctness". This isn't about that at all. It IS about being respectful/considerate of those individuals who's faith/beliefs may differ or, be in direct conflict with our own. For the same reasons that we don't turn on the exterior speakers of our camper and play loud music all night...we respect that others might not enjoy our genre of music and/or choose to sleep during the dark hours. IMHO, that is not practicing "political correctness". It is simply being respectful of others (and campground rules - which exist to help insure the enjoyment of everyone).

So, yes, I would say if we are using words like "GOD", "our creator", etc., we are very likely straying into matters of our personal religion/faith.

The owner and caretakers of the forum have determined long ago that it is in the best interest of all that we not speak to matters of religion, politics, sex and weapons. If we choose to willfully defy and disrespect then, we leave them with few options. Do our actions reflect the "faith" that we so fervently insist that others follow?      

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

Our hard working and sincere moderator would do us all a favor by giving us specific examples of what worries him so much.

It is impossible to define and list EVERY possible word, phrase, sentence, etc. which might be considered "religious". I would surely omit a few and that would be exploited. It has happened.....

"Well, I didn't quote the Bible. I quoted someone else - who quoted scripture. So, technically, I didn't violate the rules."

Nope...not going there. Sorry....not as dumb as I look!   

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:51am
I use a scripture quote in my signature about wisdom. In deference to previous discussions about this topic, I removed  the reference. If anyone is interested enough to want to discuss faith matters, there is the private messaging function.  I would be happy to correspond about faith matters there.

I agree that we need to follow the wishes of the Forum's owner and caretakers. Anyone not wishing to do so would be free to set up a forum where such things can be discussed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by StephenH

I use a scripture quote in my signature about wisdom. In deference to previous discussions about this topic, I removed  the reference. If anyone is interested enough to want to discuss faith matters, there is the private messaging function.  I would be happy to correspond about faith matters there.
I agree that we need to follow the wishes of the Forum's owner and caretakers. Anyone not wishing to do so would be free to set up a forum where such things can be discussed.

Yet another well stated post. You seem to "get it" and I am thankful.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:16am
Indeed, the choice of words can get tricky.  In fact, even capitalizing the first letter of the word has meaning.  In one post I used the word creator to signify what ever got this universe going, whether just a natural phenomena of astro physics with the big bang an all, or an intentional consciousness that may or may not have been involved in the detailed formation of our known universe.  I ended up capitalizing the C in the word because I didn't want to create a conflict with our brothers and sisters who are of a more active religious persuasion than I.  

There are a lot of words like "Mother Nature," the Force, etc. that may or may not imply some spiritual being.  If I wrote the Native American words the "Great Spirit" some might be offended, while others may realize it's an abstract concept that may not be necessarily religious in the context it is used.  

I recall starting a kerfuffle once on this board by making a joke about the "rPod goddess" punishing those who didn't go camping enough by breaking their Pods.  A firestorm ensued over what I thought was an obvious joke.  Perhaps I should have been more considerate to those who are more sensitive.  It certainly was not intended to be a religious comment any more than when we talk about the tooth fairy (Ratón Peréz in Lat. Am.) or the Easter Bunny.  But words and upper/lower case do matter.

There is no solution to this dilemma.  It is a slippery slope on which we can all find ourselves careening into conflict.  To me, the best solution is to try to as sensitive and good mannered as you can be in what you post and try not to create religious or political [guns and sex too, but not rock and roll] conflict by your comments.  And if you reply to someone else's religious political comment, try to keep it factual, in good humor, and respectful, or just ignore it.

An example of late:  There are some members who like to say unkind things about California, frankly, a political opinion comment.  As it is a favorite topic here in rural Nevada, demeaning the California invaders, I hear it often and am probably a little sensitive to it.  I have tried to respond to those comments by pointing out that it's hard to argue with the success of California's economy, with acknowledgement that California is not Eden but that's it's still a pretty decent place.  I try to respond adding a little humor [though rarely successful] and some self deprecation in an effort to dispute the negative comment but not start a political fight.  Probably I should just keep quiet, but my mother once told me that I would argue with St. Peter about which gate I'd go in.  Of course, I had to argue with her about the metaphysical concept of gates in heaven as a supposition on her part, since it was not of material substance.  Suffice it to say, she was not surprised to see me become a lawyer.

So, with all that blah, blah, blah, all I can say is once again:  Follow the Golden Rule.  Just be nice to each other.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:38am
Originally posted by David

I chaff at the term "political correctness". This isn't about that at all. It IS about being respectful/considerate of those individuals who's faith/beliefs may differ or, be in direct conflict with our own. For the same reasons that we don't turn on the exterior speakers of our camper and play loud music all night...we respect that others might not enjoy our genre of music and/or choose to sleep during the dark hours. IMHO, that is not practicing "political correctness". It is simply being respectful of others (and campground rules - which exist to help insure the enjoyment of everyone). 
Yes, that term has become "loaded" in a sense, but it does have some practical aspects to it. Living where we live, we have friends and neighbors from all over the world. Really. Name some nationality, and we've got it. While it does make for some  awkward moments, we also get exposed to an amazing variation on how different folks see the world. I think being exposed to all these different cultures really does affect your personal perspective, and open you up to quite different ways to look at all sorts of things. Sometimes you might even change your mind.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
In my view, we have confused political correctness [suggesting conformity or variance from some political ideology] with having good manners and being considerate of those who are different from one's self.  

More often than not, when we use the term "politically correct" we're really referring to comments that hurt the feelings of some listeners such as demeaning an ethnic or social subgroup.  Maybe we need to study the concept of good manners more.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:38am

Yep...I remember the rpod goddess "dust up". Unfortunately, you found first hand how if the door is cracked open even just a wee bit, that is viewed by some as an opportunity to exploit/throw open the door and save the rest of our wretched selves from our supersonic plunge into the bowels of Hell.

Good grief.

GlueGuy and lostagain - both wonderful comments. We have a diverse group and hope to continue to attract the same.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by David

Again, just do the right thing.

This whole thing has just been silly. 

A transgression in one person's view is being reported, without a concrete example being shown, and everyone then agrees how diverse we are in our similarity.

"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation" - W.C. Fields
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:20pm
So, I think this is supposed to be the rPod owners forum, not the christian/republican/gun rights rPod owners forum or the secular/democrat/gun safety rPod owners forum, or some such nonsense LOL

I guess if we don't want to demonstrate good manners/be "politically correct" or whatever you want  to call it we could split into different groups. Then everybody could chat only with folks who thought exactly like themselves. How nice and comforting, but what a loss that would be for all of us. 

Just like its a loss to the country as a whole that we are identifying more and more by those kind of criteria rather than as Americans. IMHO. And my apologies to our Canadian members, I don't mean to leave you out of the conversation, you can have your own splinter group if you want to Smile.

BTW, I'm curious if religion and politics tend to crop up more at certain times of the year. Here we are in the dead of winter talking about this. Boring time of year for most of us campers. I'll bet if it was summer and we were all out camping in our rPods we wouldn't be discussing this stuff so much.... 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>