FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHumans - Chapter II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humans - Chapter II
    Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 9:44am
Originally posted by David

Again, IMHO, the "shut down" isn't really the issue/problem - it serves to highlight a battle that is waged daily in/on our public lands.
You are right on that. It's not about a wall, it is all about PR.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:53am
+1 to Glue Guy's last post.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 3:07pm
Somehow reminds me of that old adage, character is reflected in how one acts in the face of adversity, not how they react in face of easy. I've heard and seen examples of this numerous times in the recent past. As a senior citizen I'm appalled in what people say and use as free speech. The lack of respect present in America. It is apparent in more than words, also deeds.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 3:30pm
"civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is subject to proof"
-JFK

Unfortunately as it seems neither of the above are recognized or rewarded they are quickly disappearing from American life. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by offgrid

"civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is subject to proof"
-JFK

Unfortunately as it seems neither of the above are recognized or rewarded they are quickly disappearing from American life.
if it's any consolation, the lack of civility is not an especially recent phenomenon. Reading the (sometimes hard to find) history of times past, it seems that civility often broke down. At least they don't have fist fights as seems to be a "thing" in some countries.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 6:10pm
Not sure about that G2. I thi9nk we only see what we are allowed to see. There have been violent confrontations.
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:24am
Well, we had one former President who challenged over 100 men to duels, and killed one. There were frequent fistfists on the House and Senate floors in the runup to the Civil War, as well as guns drawn. So nothing new but OTOH that period of "lack of civility" led to the near failure of our nation, and to the deaths of about 2% of the US population. That's the equivalent of 7 million people today. 

If we want to avoid repeating history we need to select leaders who behave with civility and sincerity, rather than continuing to reward the opposite behaviors. Unfortunately it appears that most folks now view civility as a sign of weakness. Just my $0.02. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 8:20am
I think we have a whole piece of society that still lives at home with their parents and when the go to a park, Mom's not with them so they have no idea of how to act.:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 9:28am
I don't think that age really has much to do with it. If anything I think most of the younger generation is more respectful of our parks and open lands than in the past. I used to see a lot more garbage dumped over the sides of back roads 20-30 years ago than I do today. 

We have had a few folks here on the OBX that have deliberately destroyed protected turtle nest sites apparently because they're angry that they don't get to drive their trucks anywhere they want on "their" beach like they used to do way back when they were kids. Or something. 

I come back to leadership. If we continue to allow our leaders to set bad examples we will continue to reap the "rewards".
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:18am
For 10 years of my law practice, I ran an ethics and compliance program for a multi-national company in the Americas.  One of the most basic concepts that we [all compliance officers] pushed was that of the concept of "tone from the top."  Basically, when the boss does things the right way, everyone else seems to follow.  When the boss violates the rules, everyone else uses it as a justification to do likewise.  

I've noticed in dealing with all kinds of businesses recently, often major companies, that there has been a shift to grift.  Whether it's the cable company, a cell phone company, medical insurers, etc. etc., they all seem to have a scam they are playing on their customers.  As to why, I have my opinions, but to venture into that area that can get pretty political/religious, so I'll keep my fingers off the keyboard.

I don't agree that the it's necessarily the segment of society that lives at home with their parents that is causing the problem, though there are certainly anecdotal examples of uber-selfishness on the part of some in that category.  Most of the vandalism and willful destruction of our parks, private and public lands, and natural resources seems to be related to people who are disassociated with their communities and feel no sense of personal responsibility for their conduct.  This is a phenomena that crosses all age lines.  Undirected anger at some imaginary enemy seems to be a major element.  I have in mind, as an example, an azzhole who drives a diesel pick-up in the area where I live who put a device on it to flood the engine with fuel and belch out horrible black smoke whenever he wants.  What could possibly be the motive for such conduct?  I speculate that this person has serious anger problems and is basically flipping off everyone else in our community.

I have lived, traveled, and worked in Lat. Am. where it is common for extended families to live together spanning 3 or 4 generations.  More often than not, kids don't leave home until marriage, and later mom and dad come to live with them as they get old.  There is a strong sense of family and generational cohesion.  People tend to think of the future in generational terms, not just their own present moment.  They think more in terms of "we" than "I."  Where these strong families exist, we don't see the anger that has become such a strong element in our culture.  Maybe if we learn to think more in terms of "we" and 'us" instead of "I" and "me" we would find a lot less of the wanton destruction of our public treasures.  Again, as I suggested in the other Human's thread, it's a matter of following the "Golden Rule."
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>