Topic ClosedGulf Coast trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gulf Coast trip
    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:22am
I am looking at a slow trip around the Gulf Coast starting in So. Padre or so and driving coast roads through the southern states ending in Everglades City, Fl and then maybe on to the Keys.  I'm looking for advice, great places to stay, and any suggestions if you have made such a trip or parts there of.  I'm looking at October - November since I never go to Florida in the summer!  

thanks for any info,
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:55pm
You're not the only person very interested in hearing about this. 

We are going to Pensacola in May and staying at Gulf State Park in Alabama. One drawback to it - it looks like a small city! PM me in late May to find out how it went. 

One little warning - make sure you get your reservations in early, the gulf coast area seems to be very popular.
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:38am
Long Key State Park in the Florida Keys can't be beat in my opinion. 
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:10am
I thought I saw the Long Key is closed for the year for rebuilding?
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
Ghosthawk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 3:05pm
We are looking in Galveston Tx area come Feb. First, two weeks in New Orleans!

Found a few places fairly reasonably priced if you are willing to be 2-3 miles away from the Gulf. Also one on the Sabine that looked interesting.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 4:05pm
   These are three state parks we have stayed at in south west Florida, Koreshan State Park, Collier Seminole State Park and Oscar Scherer State Park. All three are different with different interesting things to offer. I would recommend all three. And if you are going all the ways to the Florida Keys I would recommend visiting or camping at Everglades National Park. I have never camped at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park but I have been snorkeling at the reef. I would recommend it too if you like the ocean and snorkeling. I think your biggest difficulty would be getting a available camp site they are very busy this time of the year.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:03pm
   We are in south Florida now and the weather I don't think could be better. It sure beats the cold rainy weather we were having in Tennessee when we left. This is our first time camping in our Vista and we are liking the camper a lot, having the extra room has really been nice. Our two dogs are enjoying the trip too, it's like they are saying great to be having a vacation. On are way down we passed two r-pods heading north, they may have been heading home from a vacation in south Florida too. It's good to be traveling now when it comes to the low price of gasoline, hope it stays that way for our return trip home.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

You're not the only person very interested in hearing about this. 

We are going to Pensacola in May and staying at Gulf State Park in Alabama. One drawback to it - it looks like a small city! PM me in late May to find out how it went. 

One little warning - make sure you get your reservations in early, the gulf coast area seems to be very popular.

If you can't get into Gulf State Park you might want to check out Big Lagoon State Park just across the FL state line.  Both are nice and book early.  Gulf state park is on a large fresh water lake.  Have only been to the picnic side recently . The picnic side was the entire park back in my younger days. Then they dug the canal through joining the two lakes and moved the camping over to that side.   That was in the Late 70's. 

Watch out for the squirrels and the gators. I've had more damage from a mad squirrel getting in my tent than gators you will see along the banks occasionally. They tend to stay away from the people. 

The beach on the Gulf of Mexico is some of the prettiest sand in the world.  Just a mile outside the gate. An easy bike ride.   

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
HandsCamping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 1:29pm

We stayed at Galveston Island state park this past March and absolutely loved it. It was right off the beach (walking distance from your camper). We were a little outside the city, but we liked that part. We did accidentally go across the ferry with our camper in tow. Didn't realize that was part of our route till we got there. We had a great trip.
We also went to Lake Whitney State Park in Texas and enjoyed that area, as well.
Stanley & Erica Hand
Alabama
Rpod 176
Chevy 2500HD
 Post Reply Post Reply