Topic ClosedHumans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humans
    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 11:57am

"Human beings...capable of great good
and great evil." - Dr. Who, 4th Doctor (Tom Baker)

https://www.wthr.com/article/shutdown-nightmare-park-bathrooms-overflowing-human-waste-vandals-causing-damage-fighting

lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
Sadly, humans are no different than any other animals.  We do what we think is in our immediate self interest without consideration for the consequences.  Unfortunately, for many people, the trend, more and more, is to refuse to accept responsibility for the consequences of our conduct and to blame someone else for what we did.  We forget that there are millions of species that came before us that are now extinct and we refuse to recognize that extinction could also happen to us.  

The article from wthr.com is a reminder.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 1:11pm

After thinking about the post a bit, I think it prudent to (proactive/preventative) say that this is not intended to be a conversation of politics and/or the politics involved in the "shut down". As is the linked article, it is more a commentary/observation of behavior at some of our parks/camping facilities.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 1:48pm
Unfortunately, it does not take a shutdown to bring out the bad behavior in some people. There have been many campsites to which we have arrived that have had trash scattered around. What is particularly annoying is seeing a trash can with lots of room in it and trash strewn all around it. The deliberate vandalism I have seen in my lifetime saddens me. Recently, a public sculpture in Wake Forest was vandalized. I may not have particularly liked it (geometric metal shapes intertwined), but I respect the work that goes into something like this to leave it alone. Not so the vandals who left it a twisted mess on the ground.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:15pm
People are crazy. Our actions prove it everyday. 
Michael
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Unfortunately, it does not take a shutdown to bring out the bad behavior in some people. There have been many campsites to which we have arrived that have had trash scattered around. What is particularly annoying is seeing a trash can with lots of room in it and trash strewn all around it. The deliberate vandalism I have seen in my lifetime saddens me. Recently, a public sculpture in Wake Forest was vandalized. I may not have particularly liked it (geometric metal shapes intertwined), but I respect the work that goes into something like this to leave it alone. Not so the vandals who left it a twisted mess on the ground.

You allude to what I was thinking as I read the article. Had the author been present, I would have asked: "You think this is unusual?"

The only difference is that, under normal circumstances, there are paid staff, supplemented by volunteers, that do what they can to pick up and repair behind these..... (I shouldn't use such language on the forum).    This is every day stuff.

I've done a lot of volunteering in the parks and, trust me, there is worse that goes on. That said, campers (IMHO) a but a representative slice of society/humanity. We seem to be in a feverish race to the bottom and I haven't a clue how to effectively reverse this.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:22pm
They are not only crazy they are lazy, stupid and inconsiderate, you can pack your trash out. People that stay off grid do it every trip, this is more about the generations in America that believe everything is free and somebody should do it for everybody, when a lot of nobody's do nothing.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:29pm
  That is sad news hopefully the ones that have no respect for nature and government property will not do to much harm. A good time for those wanting to volunteer to protect the national parks. That would be a good project for the boy scouts and girl scouts. Unhappy   Sorry, I edited my post to keep it camping related.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 3:52pm
I think we need to stay centered on our purpose, helping and sharing info with owners and prior owners of RPods. I didn't nor did many of us have anything to do with the current climate in America. We were just camping. I have personally experienced many government shut downs, not once did it effect my camping experience. Still camping and still enthused about it. I don't see us fixing where we are in America, I do see us fixing towing issues, maybe a stove or two and some genset issues. Makes it a lot simpler if we think about it. My thoughts.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 4:43pm
We can make an effort to leave things better than we found them.We can't fix the attitudes of others, but we can do our best to have a positive attitude and enjoy our camping experiences. I have learned so much in this forum that has been of benefit. Hopefully, what I have shared in my mods and travel experiences has been a benefit to others.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>