Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSedona, AZ things to do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sedona, AZ things to do
    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:23am
We are going to camp at camp verde, az....Zane Grey RV park which is a good sam park.  just curious as I have not spent time in that area....must do or see things....will be there 5 nights towards the end of January.

Thank you for any tips.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 6:36pm
visit the town of Jerome(sp) it makes San Francisco look flat.  There is also a natural bridge park in the area. 
The Pirate's Pod
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:17pm
I've been there a couple of times.  I LOVE SEDONA AZ.  Not sure about how cold it will be but Slide River Park is a Blast. Ice cold water Natures water slide.   Very popular in the summer months. Not sure about the winter.   You are about 3-4 hour drive to the South Rim of Grand Canyon.

We took a Segway Tour with the kids/teens. It was informative and actually had a blast.  
We saw a skunk downtown wondering around.. Not sure what he was up to.

There are several good restaurants in town.  

We  also took a jeep tour. Also fun..  Jerome is a nice drive and interesting little town.   . Watch out for the Elk on the road to Sedona from the north.   

Have Fun
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:51pm
I've only driven through Jerome without a trailer.  I'm sure it's doable with a Pod, but it might not be the most fun way to go!  Sedona is supposed to be a great place to visit but I only passed through.  We did stop for lunch.

I've read most of Zane Grey's westerns (and a couple of fishing books). The Audible version of one or two of the westerns would make a great soundtrack for your travels in the area.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

I've only driven through Jerome without a trailer.  I'm sure it's doable with a Pod, but it might not be the most fun way to go!  Sedona is supposed to be a great place to visit but I only passed through.  We did stop for lunch.

I've read most of Zane Grey's westerns (and a couple of fishing books). The Audible version of one or two of the westerns would make a great soundtrack for your travels in the area.

TT

Good point.  Jerome has small/narrow roads,  tight and a few steep hairpin  turns .  Not bad in a vehicle or a motorcycle.  I've ridden both through there and I would think doable pulling the Pod but I wouldn't want to.   No where to back a trailer  up and turn around in some areas like the museum.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:18am
Driving through on 89A wouldn't be a problem if you're ok with winding mountain roads, might annoy folks in sports cars who want to blast through the twisties.  That's what turnouts are for. 

Parking in Jerome could be for sure. Looks according to Google street view that there is a public parking lot for RVs at 310 Hull Ave. 

Much more fun to drop the trailer and do the tour in the tow vehicle. Isn't that why we have rPods instead of motor homes? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm
You might want to check out BLM lands around there as I remember there's quite a few if you want to do some boondocking.
Jay

179/2019
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:07pm
Check out Rio Verde Park in Clarkdale AZ.  I was there last spring staying in a friend's drive way so we didn't use the campground, but they say it's quite nice.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:27pm
we just got back...parked the pod and toured....stayed at Zane Grey RV park....very nice...mostly full timers in large units.  Great time visiting Sedona, national monuments, Jerome.....
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
ilthyn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:40pm
Ha! Ha!  We drove through Jerome enroute to Sedona a couple of years ago and reached it when it was almost dark. It is a crazy road to come down, but perfectly doable with the Pod. Biggest challenge would  be finding a place to park to see the facilities.
The campground warned not to take that route, but I thought they meant the Oak Canyon route up to Flagstaff. It is certainly not the most challenging road for a Pod compared to where mine has beenShocked
It was totally dark when we got to the Sedona campground and the office was  closed, so there was a lot of flashlight waving, circling around, reversing between tight trees and benedictions spoken before we finally found our site.
For anyone not familiar with Sedona, it is quite artsy and is supposed to be a spiritual kind of place, with Vorteces for spiritual contemplation. Is is very beautiful and I would recommend it thoroughly. I need to go back and explore Jerome (sans Pod!)
2011 Pod 171 with numerous mods.
2013 DODGE RAM 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>