Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeight Distribution Towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution Towing
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:20am
Looking at the photo, it would appear that there is too much weight on the rear end of the tow vehicle. But that is just from looking at the photo.
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by AL1010

Has anyone tried the Andersen WD sway control hitch? 

I have one. It's my first camper, so I don't have anything else to compare it with, but it works fine with my tacoma. Got around 5K miles on it so far.

2018 R-Pod 180
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 3:35pm
Hard to tell from the original photo, but ultimately the camper should be level or slightly nose-down, and typically the rear of the TV will be slightly lower than when unhitched, and the front will be about the same as when unhitched.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
AL1010 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 7:11am
Did you shorten the shank? I need to do that for our 4Runner. I can’t get the the 2nd hole without removing the spare tire.I just got mine towed about 20 miles seem good.
Originally posted by MIK

Has anyone tried the Andersen WD sway control hitch? 

I have one. It's my first camper, so I don't have anything else to compare it with, but it works fine with my tacoma. Got around 5K miles on it so far.

AL1010 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by john in idaho

Looking at the photo, it would appear that there is too much weight on the rear end of the tow vehicle. But that is just from looking at the photo.
It does lift the rear of the TV when you tighten the chains. It is much quieter and smoother than the std.WD system I was using. 
MIK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 3:01pm

Did you shorten the shank? I need to do that for our 4Runner. I can’t get the the 2nd hole without removing the spare tire.I just got mine towed about 20 miles seem good.

I removed 2 links from the chain otherwise it wouldn't fit where I needed it to be. I think, per installation instructions, you can remove up to 4 links. I might need to remove another one.
2018 R-Pod 180
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:50am
The Andersen works as intended. I had one for over a year and it definitely settled down heavy bounce over expansion joints. No more oscillations at all. Just make sure that you measure the ball height as directed in the setup instructions (starting about 1 to 1-1/2 inches higher than the trailer coupler). Then make certain it is sagged slightly lower than the original couple height so the trailer is ever so slightly nose down. That final adjusted position is ideal. Don't remove all the sag by tightening the chain adjuster.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
AL1010 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by ToolmanJohn

The Andersen works as intended. I had one for over a year and it definitely settled down heavy bounce over expansion joints. No more oscillations at all. Just make sure that you measure the ball height as directed in the setup instructions (starting about 1 to 1-1/2 inches higher than the trailer coupler). Then make certain it is sagged slightly lower than the original couple height so the trailer is ever so slightly nose down. That final adjusted position is ideal. Don't remove all the sag by tightening the chain adjuster.
Did either of you have a lot of slop in the shank?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 8:55am
Sorry for my belated reply, I'm only just now getting back on the forum after an extended family emergency. 

StephenH, a WDH is generally considered to be part of the tow vehicle not the trailer, because it winds up being rigidly attached to the TV receiver when in use. I don't think the Hensley hitch is different in that regard. But of course, since a WDH acts to redistribute tongue load to the TV front axle and trailer axle, its weight doesn't end up on the TV rear axle anyway, like tongue weight does if you don't have a WDH. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 9:57am

Did either of you have a lot of slop in the shank?
There are various things used to eliminate any slop in the shank of the receiver. We have a shank pin that has a taper on one side, and a nut on the opposite side. You tighten the nut until the shank stops moving. It originally came with our 4-bike bike carrier, but will work for any receiver. There are also little devices that just fill the gap in a way to eliminate the slop like this: https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=hitch+anti-rattle
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>