Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution Towing
    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

Our. Assured tongue weight ....

AGGGG. Stupid iPhone auto correct.

That was supposed to be 'Our MEASURED Tongue Weight'.
I think I almost read that correctly anyway. LOL

You will find that if you hit [space] twice, the keyboard will automatically add a period to the end of what it thinks is the end of a sentence.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 2:42pm
Is the OP's TV a front wheel drive? I for one would not tow a travel trailer with a front wheel drive vehicle.

It could be an accident waiting to happen. For example; The other day I saw a Honda Pilot towing a single-axle travel trailer that was the same size of an rPod or maybe a foot or two longer. He was going down the Cuesta Grade (A long 6% grade on US 101) IN THE RAIN, and was towing at about 75 mph!
The back wheels on the Pilot were splayed outward and from what I noticed when he passed me he had NO sway control at all and was simply towing with a standard ball hitch. 

I slowed way down, incase he lost control of the trailer. That was simply too fast to tow a trailer like that in the RAIN, down a steep grade.

Yes, accidents can happen with any combination of trailer & TV but it seemed to me like this rig was especially dangerous. Would the accident have been due to an overloaded front wheel drive TV with no sway control  / WDH, or simply stupidity? Perhaps a bit of both.

Know your limits and take precautions, and use common sense! It's the same thing when going out on the ocean. I knew a commercial fisherman who failed to heed to respect the ocean, and now his name is etched into the monument in Morro Bay for fisherman lost at sea.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Looks like iPhone auto mistake works like Android auto mistake.
The last time I measured the tongue weight for our RP179 using the scale and beam method, I came up with about 600 lbs. That was before I added the Hensley Cub hitch though. I'm not sure how that figures into the calculations as the main part of the hitch stays attached to the trailer. I'm not sure if all the weight is measured with the trailer or whether part of it should be measured with the truck. I haven't found anything in print to say one way or the other.
It all comes down to distribution and where the weight ends up being. If you weigh your vehicle and the trailer before "coupling", the total weight added to the TV (front axle + rear axle) is, essentially, the tongue weight. The remainder ends up being on the TT axle.
bp
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 3:03pm

It could be an accident waiting to happen. For example; The other day I saw a Honda Pilot towing a single-axle travel trailer that was the same size of an rPod or maybe a foot or two longer. He was going down the Cuesta Grade (A long 6% grade on US 101) IN THE RAIN, and was towing at about 75 mph!

The back wheels on the Pilot were splayed outward and from what I noticed when he passed me he had NO sway control at all and was simply towing with a standard ball hitch. 

I slowed way down, in case he lost control of the trailer. That was simply too fast to tow a trailer like that in the RAIN, down a steep grade.
Eeeesh! Cry That is wrong on so many levels! 

For one thing, the maximum for ANY vehicle towing a trailer in CA is 55 MPH. That is more than 33% over the limit. Second, doing that in the rain "could" be considered illegal just for the rainy conditions. Most areas of CA have not seen rain in over 6 months. That means there has been 6 months of oil and crud deposited on the roadways, and adding water to the mix just makes it all the more dangerous.

When we encounter someone like that, our general approach is to slow down, let them pass, and then let them get WAAAY in front of us so that we will have plenty of time to avoid the coming excitement.

bp
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I slowed way down, in case he lost control of the trailer. That was simply too fast to tow a trailer like that in the RAIN, down a steep grade.
Eeeesh! Cry That is wrong on so many levels! 

For one thing, the maximum for ANY vehicle towing a trailer in CA is 55 MPH. That is more than 33% over the limit. Second, doing that in the rain "could" be considered illegal just for the rainy conditions. Most areas of CA have not seen rain in over 6 months. That means there has been 6 months of oil and crud deposited on the roadways, and adding water to the mix just makes it all the more dangerous.

When we encounter someone like that, our general approach is to slow down, let them pass, and then let them get WAAAY in front of us so that we will have plenty of time to avoid the coming excitement.

Yep. I agree. I considered calling the CHP but didn't want to use my phone while driving in the rain. I guess he made it OK because I never saw an accident. People tow trailers here in CA way too fast and 80% of them are going faster than the 55 mph limit. I drive a delivery route for a wholesale auto parts company (with their vans) and I've seen so many trailers (mostly toy haulers, but others as well) pass me like I'm standing still.

Once I saw a utility trailer overloaded with drywall flip in front of me on a downgrade while I was on my route. The load was shifting because it wasn't secured very well and that led to the accident. The trailer started swaying ever so slowly but whipped around more and more. The driver was traveling too fast and tried to correct but couldn't. I could see what was going to happen so I slowed way down. What did the other drivers do? They all passed me, and one honked at me and gave me the finger for slowing down. They almost had a multiple vehicle pileup. Idiots. 
gpokluda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 3:24pm
I installed the Fastway WDH on my vehicle and can tell you there is a lot that goes into setting one up to get it right, so I won't go into depth. In a nutshell you basically want your loaded tow vehicle and loaded trailer to end up level when hitched up. That's not what I see in your picture. If it were me I would go back to the RV dealer or to another RV dealer for a second opinion.

Our Nissan Frontier V6 will pull in about 12mpg at 65-70mph depending on wind, grade, etc.

Gino
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
2016 R179
lhamblin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 3:48pm
Unfortunately where I live we do not have an RV dealer and the one that installed it is 300 miles away where i bought the trailer used. One has to take BC Ferries to get to and from our residence.  My original question was: If I add more free chain links from 4 to 6 might that bring my level up?
LHamblin
gpokluda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
Okay, I'm hesitant to give advice on this since I am by no means a trained expert on WDHs. However, if it were me, this is what I would do:

On level ground, with your tow vehicle unhitched from the trailer, measure the distance from ground to the lip of each wheel well of the tow vehicle. When your trailer is hooked up, you should be very close to these measurements (for me 1/4 to 1/2 inch is close enough) and your trailer should also be level. There are a lot of ways to achieve this with a WDH, but I would experiment with the free chain links first. I would try 5 free first and remeasure. I would not exceed 6 free links but again, I am not that familiar with the chain variety of WDH. Good luck.

Gino
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
2016 RP179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by lhamblin

He said that you should have 4 chain links free at the top.  I was speaking with a friend and after looking at my picture he suggested that I should have at least 6 free chain links.  Can anyone weigh in on this as I really burned through the fuel bringing the trailer home.  I have attached a picture of the car and trailer.
The exact number of links and other WDH details is going to be different for every TV/TT/WDH setup. No one here will tell you haw many links you should or should not be using. You would be well served to look through the setup procedure for your particular WDH.
bp
AL1010 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:21pm
Has anyone tried the Andersen WD sway control hitch? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>