FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear ended

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear ended
    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:03pm
Greeting fellow Rpodders.

A couple of weeks ago my tow vehicle (2016 Nissan Frontier) was rear-ended while at a complete stop (20-something-er in a brand new Jeep Rubicon with a massive front bumper) The impact folded my tail gate like a taco an pushed into the bed of the truck. My bumper was tucked nicely under. Anyway, the body shop says my frame hitch (factory installed) is fine and won't need replaced. I checked it myself and don't see any paint flaking or signs of buckling. What are your thoughts? 

Gino
2016 R179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:48pm
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope nobody was hurt. Having been in an accident recently, we were pretty sore for a while.

I take it that the Nissan can be repaired from what you say. If the body shop says it is fine, then it likely is. Was the frame damaged, or was it just the sheet metal above the frame? I'm not sure how to interpret "the bumper was tucked nicely under." The hitch receiver itself is made of some pretty heavy-duty steel. I think you can trust the body shop's judgment, especially if you do not see any signs of damage.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:38am
+1 to SH. The body shop is your best source. They see enough bent stuff to make an educated decision. I had a lady impale her car on my receiver, no damage to frame or receiver, bad day for her front end.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 7:57pm
StephenH, Thanks for asking. Thankfully the driver of the Jeep was not hurt, just shook up from airbag deployment. I was not hurt as well. Could have been worse. The truck now wants to drift to the right. Probably needs a rear wheel alignment.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:37pm
Definitely sounds like an alignment is in order. The frame should be checked for any damage as well.

We were in an auto accident in September. My wife and I were passengers in a Nissan Sentra. We had the right of way. A taxi pulled out in front of us. I saw the taxi and then BANG! No time to warn, no time to do anything. The front of the Sentra was pretty much destroyed. I was in the back seat. The seat belt caught me across the ribs. My wife was in the front passenger seat. She had the airbag as well as the seat belt. We both went to the ER to get checked out. Nothing was broken, but we were both quite sore for several weeks.

I'm glad nobody was hurt. Property can be replaced.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
Update: The Nissan went into the shop this week. Total damages came out to just over $5k and they decided to replace the hitch. I should have the truck back in two weeks and we'll be back on the road!

Gino
 Post Reply Post Reply