R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBearings and Wheel Problem-Twice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearings and Wheel Problem-Twice
    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:44pm
Our 2015 P-Pod 177 has again experienced the same symptoms and/or problem rendering it unsafe on the road.
Driving Symptoms...The steering becomes uncontrollable and the rig wants to stop on a dime with the slightest use of brakes and trailer brake controller.
Visual Symptoms...Both wheels are angled inward at the top and outward at the bottom.
We had routine maintenance in Feb. 2018 when the bearings were repacked and all else was good to go. We estimate traveling 6000-7000 miles thus far in Feb 2018 with the Pod. We also changed tow vehicles in March.
At the end of our recent 1800 mile vacation around the Sierra Mts. (Sept 2018) we experienced the above symptoms for the 1st time when exiting off the freeway. A reputable RV dealer was literally in site and accepted the Pod for repair. The original Pod bearings were said to be bad and replaced. The brakes had no damage.
On one more outing and traveling about 80 miles, the same driving and visual symptoms occurred for the 2nd time when exiting the freeway. With one added symptom that the driver side tire had burning rubber and smoking when applying the brakes.
We hobbled to our nearby campground and later ended up having the Pod towed to the RV dealer who last replace the bearings, where it is today. We suspect the bearings (of 80 miles)are bad again. Something deeper is going on, we all agree, but what?
We would appreciate some suggestions, especially from the forum experts and any Pod owners who may have experienced similar symptoms.
P.S. It was a pleasure to meet CharlieM while at Toulumne Meadows CG.
Roger & Joanne
1 Camper Dog "Scout"
2015 RP 177
2016 Nissan Frontier
2001 Coleman Westlake
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:08pm
WOW. Glad you have it at a repair facility and trust you have faith in them. I do not believe it is a brake issue from your post. Is there any indication of tire wear? The primary things I would look at are faulty bearings, over tightened bearings, miss-aligned spindles and lastly inner grease seals compromised. All of which a trailer axle expert can identify. Wish I could be of more help, these type problems can be a bugger. Would be interesting to me, to know if trailer tracks straight. Like when you see a car on the road and you can see all 4 wheels. The vehicle is going down the road sideways.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 10:42am
I agree with mcarter. It's possible your repair was done incorrectly by over-tightening, or under-tightening. It's also possible the spindles were damaged when the bearings went bad. I'd also check the tracking.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
I had a similar issue years ago with a larger trailer.  Came to find out it was a bent axle.  The dealer explained to me  that these axles are manufactured then strapped (under tremendous pressure) onto whatever is hauling them.  My axle may have been one that was on the top and was in direct contact with the strap.  These axles are stored in this configuration until the trailer manufacture actually breaks the bands and uses the axles which could be quite awhile.  At any rate, I had the axle replaced and that ended the problems.Wacko
Swampfox
CAhikers2x2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:08pm
Thank you for your response. I don't think we have any damage to the tires. We have the heavy duty tires on our Oregon made Pod.
I hope the tracking can be tested at the current RV service location.
From 2015 to Sept 2018 we have had no issues. We will definitely look into the issues you have suggested.   
Many thanks.
Roger and Joanne
Roger & Joanne
1 Camper Dog "Scout"
2015 RP 177
2016 Nissan Frontier
2001 Coleman Westlake

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:28pm
Thank you for your additional input. I am getting to know my trailer parts more and more. Not the preferred reason however!   
We appreciate your added input and agreement to mcarter's comments.
Our tow driver also mentioned spindles.
We're trying to keep an open mind and get to the root.
Thanks again. We will share the outcome.
Roger and Joanne

Roger & Joanne
1 Camper Dog "Scout"
2015 RP 177
2016 Nissan Frontier
2001 Coleman Westlake
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 2:50pm
The dealer you have trailer at for repair should be able to determine if the axle is bent. Really not a difficult process.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:02pm
Another very good possibility. I do appreciate your input with many thanks. I will pass this info on to the RV tech.
Do you recall having premature wearing of bearings and the wheels tweaked inward at the top and outward at the bottom and braking quickly?
Did you have all or some of these issues as we are having??
Roger and Joanne
Roger & Joanne
1 Camper Dog "Scout"
2015 RP 177
2016 Nissan Frontier
2001 Coleman Westlake

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:06pm
Thank you. I was wondering about that. Nice to know something is an easy verification!
Joanne
Roger & Joanne
1 Camper Dog "Scout"
2015 RP 177
2016 Nissan Frontier
2001 Coleman Westlake
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:10pm
Ours is having the bearings replaced as well as brakes along with a new drum for the door side. Symptoms were much the same - wheels tilted in at the top, brakes grabbing unevenly. On the door side, there was excessive wear of the magnet. On the slide side, the grease seal had failed. I had replaced the grease seal and hand packed the bearings before our last trip, however, I had noticed unusual tire wear on the inside edge of the slide side tire as well as the excess camber. I had asked them to check the axle. I am waiting on word as to the final verdict when the other work is complete. It did not look to me like the bearings were worn excessively. However, I will have to trust the judgment of the technicians who know what they are supposed to look like instead of my untrained judgment.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>