R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand New Thule Crown Power Awning dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand New Thule Crown Power Awning dead
    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 2:39pm
During my walk through the power awning worked just fine. I've owned it for just over a week and this is really the first weekend I have been able to spend some time checking things out real close. Everything seems to work awesome, so I decided to relax and open the awning.... NOT.  I hope I'm missing a step in the process but here is how I had things set up. I have dual 12 volt batteries with a full charge on both. The trailer was still hooked up to the truck (mechanically and electrically). The trailer was also plugged into 110v house current using an adapter. All lights in the trailer worked fine, heater worked fine, radio worked fine, tv set etc.
I toggled the awing button on the control panel and Zilch. I checked all the fuses and breakers, everything was good.

Any ideas?
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:09pm
Unfortunately on my camper the awning is not powered but if its not a fuse (most likely operated by a DC motor) then if you can check to see if your getting power to the switch and then motor. If all else fails take it back to the dealer since I assume its under warranty?
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 10:10pm
Seems like it calls for a little troubleshooting.  Dave is right on.  You can get a little digital multimeter at Walmart for about $10 or, for 12v, even a test light for about a buck will work.  If you've checked the fuses carefully, I'd probably start at the switch.  Make sure all the wires are screwed down tight at the fuse box, the switch and at the motor.  If the juice is getting to the switch make sure it's coming out the other side when the switch is closed.  (Could be a bad switch.)  Check the ground connections.  Most likely this is something really simple.  If you're under warrenty you can go to the dealer, but for a lot of people that's a 4 hour round trip, or more, that you usually have to make twice, to drop off and to pick up.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
CoffeeGuyR190 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:16am
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have been more clear. Was just asking if other people had experienced this issue with the new power awnings yet. A couple people on the R-Pod Facebook group have indeed the same experience as I have. Also, In an earlier life I built avionics for F-16, B1-B and then switched to Torpedoes and Missiles. Still got some of my old skills, just hate digging into brand new equipment if I don't have to.
Bear Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:31am
The same issue happened to us this fall.  The awning tested fine at the dealership.  A few days later, when we took our first camping trip with the new R pod190, we attempted to put out the awning and no response.  Though I do not possess your technical skills I reasoned that it might be a fuse.  I checked the fuses with a meter.  They seemed fine.  Still I bought some new fuses and replaced them one by one, no difference.

Called the dealer and took the R Pod in for some small warranty work and the awning issue.  One month later we got the R Pod back.  A good thing I winterized it before taking it to the dealership.  The repair department said it was a fuse.  Perhaps it was an in line fuse of which I am not aware.  The dealership could not tell me what fuse it was as the technician who worked on my unit was not at work the day I put it up (first day of deer season in Michigan).  I again checked the awning before leaving the dealership and it worked.  The R pod now sits in outside storage for the winter.  We shall see if it works when we take it out this spring.

I certainly wish Forest River would put out a good owners manual with a wiring diagram for owners.  It would make trouble shooting much easier.
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 10:14am
Bear Pod, Please do everyone who has this new mechanical operated awning on their Pod a BIG favor. Go back to the dealer and speak to the technician who replaced this fuse to get your awning to work and have him/her to specifically point out where this fuse resides in the camper? Then report its location back on this forum for everyone benefit including yourself. A photo would also be helpful.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Bear Pod

The same issue happened to us this fall.  The awning tested fine at the dealership.  A few days later, when we took our first camping trip with the new R pod190, we attempted to put out the awning and no response.  Though I do not possess your technical skills I reasoned that it might be a fuse.  I checked the fuses with a meter.  They seemed fine.  Still I bought some new fuses and replaced them one by one, no difference.

Called the dealer and took the R Pod in for some small warranty work and the awning issue.  One month later we got the R Pod back.  A good thing I winterized it before taking it to the dealership.  The repair department said it was a fuse.  Perhaps it was an in line fuse of which I am not aware.  The dealership could not tell me what fuse it was as the technician who worked on my unit was not at work the day I put it up (first day of deer season in Michigan).  I again checked the awning before leaving the dealership and it worked.  The R pod now sits in outside storage for the winter.  We shall see if it works when we take it out this spring.

I certainly wish Forest River would put out a good owners manual with a wiring diagram for owners.  It would make trouble shooting much easier.

any chance you could tell me the dealer so I can call then and ask if they remember the issue and find out where the fuse was?

Thanks in advance
Bear Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 10:31am
The Thule awning problem:  I finally got in touch with the service guy at the dealership.  The problem was an inline fuse located in the wiring behind the fuse panel.  You have to take the fuse panel out to get at it.  Replace the fuse and you should be good to go.  I don't know the fuse size and service did not have it written down.  Hope this helps everyone out there.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 12:21pm
This implies that there is not a dedicated fuse in the fuse panel. I guess you could say it's good news that they put in a fuse in the first place. Too bad they hid it behind the panel.

This would be a good time to put a separate panel-mounted fuse holder along side the fuse panel. Something like this.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:04pm
That is awesome news. I'll be checking that out shortly. Thanks so much for posting. So very helpful
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>