Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR Pod Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R Pod Newbie
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:08pm
My wife and I purchased an R Pod 190  10th Anniversary Edition.  We researched several travel trailers before settling on R Pods and selecting the 190. It is big enough to accommodate our needs, but it's weight allows us to tow it with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the manufacturer tow package.  Thanks to a suggestion from someone in this forum we had a Husky Centerline weight distribution hitch package installed.  It makes towing very smooth with virtually no appreciable sway.  We also had a good brake controller put in the Jeep (it's required and definitely needed)/

We purchased it from Terrytown RV near Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Terrytown gave us a very good price, and the dealership is about 50 miles from home.  I had looked at a few other dealerships much further away, but decided closer was better should I have any warranty issues.  We would recommend Terrytown RV.  Their sales personnel were very professional and helpful during out purchase.  They walk through or trailer orientation was not rushed because I told them from the get go that I had many systems I wished to check before signing the sales agreement.  The gentleman who took us through the R Pod systems was knowledgeable and appreciated that we had done our homework.  We took delivery on the R Pod up on September 20th, and took it camping about 30 miles from home the next week.  Had a great time.

This forum, along with You Tube provided great insight concerning the purchase and items we should consider purchasing in order to really enjoy camping with our R Pod.  Thank you to all who post here.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:33pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many great adventures and make many wonderful memories doing so with your RP190. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:04pm
Welcome.  Happy Camping!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 7:29pm
Like us, you are probably putting your 190 into "hibernation" mode until spring.  Congratulations and great to hear you had a good camping experience on your maiden trip.  We have about 7" of snow on the ground, you probably have about the same if you are near Grand Rapids.  Have a son in Ada, they have received a lot of snow this past week.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Phragmanic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 3:45pm
Hi, I am a fellow newbie, and I also have a 10th Anniversary R Pod 190.  Mine is in storage too.  Our first major road trip will be up your way, we're headed to the Upper Peninsula sometime... we initially planned to go in July but decided to go in May instead in order to avoid black flies, skeeters, and such.  Can you suggest the best time to plan the trip?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:29pm
IF it is dry, black flies and skeeters (the Air Force of the U.P.) will begin to diminish mid-June.  Going in May will probably be an issue with bugs, even if along the big lakes of Superior or Michigan at least that has been the case with us.  The biggest thing is how dry/wet is spring going to be?  We won't know that until . . . . spring . . . . stay tuned.  Go ahead and PM me if you want info on certain areas you plan on visiting or on specific campgrounds.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply