R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRack for the generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rack for the generator
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
My husband passed away last December, so it's up to me alone to schlepp the generator into the back of the truck prior to taking off for some boondocking and schlepp it out again when I get home.  I would like to have a rack welded somewhere on the R-pod so that the generator can just be there, I would only remove it for maintenance or something, not each time I want to go camping.  Maybe I could also carry some gerry cans of gasoline on the same rack.  

Does this sound doable? 

Where would you put it.  I can only visualize it on the front above the battery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:04pm
Stromberg Carlson makes a bolt on generator/trailer rack. It can hold a small gen set. I have one mounted on my Pod carry a 2K.

Here is link to item on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-CC-255-Trailer-Tray/dp/B00U8AXRPW
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
I second the Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray. I also have one installed and carry a Generac iX2000 generator on it. You can see pictures in my mods (link in signature).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:32pm
As soon as we get our new TV (2019 Dodge Durango GT Plus AWD), I plan to install the SC rack I bought a few years ago. I bought it before I realized that it would probably add too much tongue weight for our current TV when carrying generators. The new TV gets me another 120 pounds of tongue weight to play with.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:18pm
+1 on mcarter idea Stromberg Carlson bolt on generator/trailer rack which looks like a simple solution. Or if you have a welding shop nearby you can always get something fabricated for the front or the rear using the spare tire mount.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 10:17pm
The (spare tire) receiver on the back isn't meant for more than about 50-75 lbs.  Maybe, if you really know what you're doing, you can go above that, but FR won't like it and will void any warranty remaining on the frame.

I recently installed the Stromberg Carlson thing.  I haven't used it for my generator yet, only because the places I've gone have had hookups.  I have used it for camp chairs, etc., and the extra space is nice!  You have to take tongue weight into consideration but depending on your TV that's probably manageable.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 11:18am
+1 to TT. When not carrying a genset. I have used mine for carrying various items, a ladder, chairs, even a cooler. Really comes in handy. Agree too, that you have to be careful modifying spare tire receiver and it is not presently capable of carrying much weight. Modified it can void your warranty.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
1992Coug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 2:57pm
I installed the same generator rack and it works great. My problem was getting our Honda EU 3000IS up onto the rack without getting a buddy to help me lift it. Even with two people, it was no easy task. We ended up buying a Kill Shot deer hoist on Amazon, and now mounting this 130 pound generator is a one person job that takes two minutes. Really saved the day and my back. We use the same generator for our home back up power, so leaving it mounted on the r-pod was not a good option. And the 3000IS easily powers the air conditioner on our 182g
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 3:21pm
+2 to TT. Not only are you risking your frame, you are also putting people at risk if the receiver should fail and drop the generator on the highway. The SC Trailer Tray works. I have one but just decided to put a trailer tongue box on it after turning the tray upside down to make a flat surface. The box I got was on sale at Harbor Freight plus I had a 20% off coupon I was able to apply. Thumbs Up

Instead of carrying the generator on the tray, it will travel in the back of the pickup. I won't have to lift it so high that way. Since I have a rigid toneau cover on the truck bed, it will be locked in plus it will be fastened in securely so that it won't be able to move. I will pack a number of small items in the new box. They will be easier to get in and out as needed. I thought about getting a hoist, but decided that was too much money to spend on something that would only get very occasional use.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm
How do folks who have mounted their gennys to the trailer feel about the noise and vibration? I always move my genny as far away from mine and my neighbor's campsites as possible. 

To save my back I got an Easystart for the a/c. That allows my 50 lb Honda 2KW genny to start the a/c just fine. I run it on propane so no stinky gasoline to deal with. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>