R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"The Shelf"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: "The Shelf"
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:49pm
So, I would like to add a shelf above the bed.  I'm not sure how you can adequately brace a shelf in then flimsy wallboard.  What do you pound in to the wall to hold things up?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:54pm
Look through my mods to see my solution (link in signature). At first, the shelf mostly rested on the valences. I changed out for anchors. If you use them, they need to be an inch or less in length. Any longer and you risk putting a hole in the side of your R-Pod (ask me how I know Ouch). Between anchors and the valences, your shelf should be very stable if you don't overload it with heavy items. My CPAP machine and some clothing go on ours.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:34pm
We put in end boards attached to the walls with industrial strength Velcro. We screwed brackets to the boards to provide ledges for the shelf.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:00am
It may depeend on which model you have.Our 179 shelf goes front to back rather than side to side.  

I lowered the tv to make the necessary room.  I sude a wire shelf from Lowe's and cut it to length.  I  put an angled cleat on the ceiling using construction adhesive and screws, put a ledger on the cabinet side and rested the shelf on the window valence.  It is very sturdy. The cabinets have solid wood at each corner.  This makes a good location for screwing the ledger to the side of the cabinet.
Hope this helps
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:37am
Are the window valances over the bed in a R-179 capable of supporting a wire rack that would be used for some light items such as bedding?  If so what would be an easy way to attach without damaging walls or valances?
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by wooleeman

Are the window valances over the bed in a R-179 capable of supporting a wire rack that would be used for some light items such as bedding?  If so what would be an easy way to attach without damaging walls or valances?

No, they are only held in by a few screws with no anchors. I removed the valances on my 179 to allow me to mount the shelf that I built closer to the windows. I use these anchors to secure my shelf.

wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Ben Herman

No, they are only held in by a few screws with no anchors. I removed the valances on my 179 to allow me to mount the shelf that I built closer to the windows. I use these anchors to secure my shelf.

Thanks for the info.  I really don't want to modify the trailer.  I am not sold on the 179 floor plan.  I purchased it used to see if I enjoyed camping.  Found I do enjoy it but I think I would rather have a 189 in the future and do not want to deter from the resale price.  Thanks again.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:25pm

Originally posted by Ben Herman

Thanks for the info.  I really don't want to modify the trailer.  I am not sold on the 179 floor plan.  I purchased it used to see if I enjoyed camping.  Found I do enjoy it but I think I would rather have a 189 in the future and do not want to deter from the resale price.  Thanks again.

Honestly I dont think that adding a shelf or removing the valance will detract from resale, actually I think the opposite is likely the case. Removing the valances (in my opinion) actually looks better than with them on. Just my 2 cents...
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 3:53pm
Here's a pic of my rear shelf with dowel rod and storage containers. I used 3" brackets with 1" anchors.

Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
1tulip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:49pm
Thanks much for the suggestions.  I've got exactly the same shelving.  I think I'll do one going port and starboard on the front end over the table and the back over the bed.  But I was perplexed about how to keep it from tearing a hole in the wallboard.

Thanks much for the suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>