Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
So I called to arrange my storage space for my pod, only to find they are filled up. So I decided the pod is staying home for the winter. So many people are buying campers it's going to get to where you're going to have to pay year round to keep the spot. I am just checking to be sure it's ok to leave the battery in for the winter? I will either be plugged in all winter, or even if I unplug, I will make sure i plug in every 3 or 4 days. I kinda like knowing i have an emergency pod outside if needed. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:49pm
We have done both. I'm 1000% happier with our R-pod at home when we're not camping. We keep ours plugged in most of the time here. When we had it in storage, we would pull the battery. I would imagine that you wouldn't need to plug it in that often. Once every couple of weeks, or maybe even once a month should be sufficient.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:21pm
I pull mine, put it in my garage shop with a trickle charger. I occasionally check the water level in the battery. Oh, and I have a cover for the pod.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:43pm
We keep ours at home and keep it plugged in.  No need to remove the battery -- it's constantly being trickle charged by the on-board charger/converter.  With power we don't have to clean out and turn off the fridge.  Could, of course, but it doesn't use enough juice to worry about.  That's about it for power useage.  The battery is always topped off and ready to go.  And added advantage to having power is that we can plug in a heaer and get a little more flexibility regarding winterizing.  We get out with the pod at least a couple of times in the winter.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:39pm
+1 to Tars Tarkas on leaving the battery connected. If you have power available and are keeping the pod at home, just leave it plugged in. No need to disconnect the battery, buy and keep a separate trickle charger on it or worry about parasitic loads in the trailer. The charger is designed to maintain it just fine at the proper state of charge. Check the water level every couple of months and keep the battery plates covered with distilled water.  

Personally I wouldn't recommend keeping the fridge running as that heats the ammonia refrigerant which will accelerate corrosion of the refrigeration tubing.  Eventually these absorption type fridges typically die from refrigerant leaks or blockage caused by corrosion of the tubing. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:55pm
We have stored ours at home since purchasing in Janaury 2011.  Since power is not available in the barn where we store it, both batteries come out and sit on the concrete floor in our unheated garage.  This is usually done near the end of October and I will check the water level before giving each a 2 amp trickle charge for a day.  I then leave them alone until the following April where I repeat the process.  The batteries are nearly 8 years old (group size 24 12volt deep cycle) and still perform very well.  Will be interesting to see how many more years they will last.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
I'll pull my battery out soon and put in the unheated part of my basement, where it never get really too cold. The Pod itself stays hooked up to 120V power so I can work inside it if I wish. Then come spring, check water level in the battery and put it on a slow 2 amp charge for a day before reinstalling. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:08pm
My Pod is in the building, hooked up to 120, use the converter to maintain charge. I don't remove the battery and I don't run fridge.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Lipman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by mcarter

My Pod is in the building, hooked up to 120, use the converter to maintain charge. I look forward to trying these penis pumps and don't remove the battery and I don't run fridge.

Why don't you run the fridge? It couldn't take it?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:40pm
I can't think of any reason I would run a fridge in a Pod in storage? It is empty, I have no use to cool anything in the Pod. The sole reason it is plugged into AC is to maintain battery charge.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>