R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMedicine cabinet in bathroom fell off wall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medicine cabinet in bathroom fell off wall
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:17pm
Hello all.  Have a 2019 rpod 190, love it.  On our most recent trip we arrived at the campground and our medicine cabinet fell off the wall during the drive.  It was held on with 8 screws.  Feels like the wall it was attached to is somewhat solid, although not exactly sure what is in the wall.  The cabinet is fairly heavy.  Thinking of just replacing with a lighter mirror, but thought I would check if anyone has recommendations to hang the stock cabinet.  Thx!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 6:29pm
Not having a 190 nor a medicine cabinet in our 179, I will hazard a couple of guesses. From the pictures I have seen it is the outside wall, you could use anchors, but if you do, make sure they are an inch in length or less or you will go through the outer wall. This only applies if the back of the medicine cabinet is not recessed into the outside wall. If it is, then there might not be enough room for anchors.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:44am
I really like these wall anchors for our 179.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-5-Pack-Assorted-Length-x-5-16-in-Dia-Standard-Drywall-Anchor-Screws-Included/3183711

Make sure you get the ones intended for 1/8"-1/4" walls (the link points to the correct depth).
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:40pm
Those thingies are pretty cool, Bum.  Did you mount any on the exterior walls that are foam filled?  If so, how did you get them to spread out?  I think I'll give them a try on our closet door at home where I have a hook that wants to fall off b/c the screws won't hold on the thin panel.

In our Pod, my method is to use 3M extra heavy duty mounting tape and a coarse threaded screw.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 3:02pm
I tried using the Toggler plastic anchors to hold the refrigerator flap in place. They were too flimsy for that purpose. I did not try them in the walls specifically because I was concerned with how the wings would be able to spread out against the foam. That is why I chose the type anchors I used.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm
Danny can you let me know how you end up reattaching the medicine cabinet? I'm interested in this because I have an RP-189 that has the same medicine cabinet set up. And I've been thinking about moving the cabinet over to the left because I bump my head on the bottom of the cabinet when I brush my teeth with the sink being so small. I know it sounds crazy but it bugs me. I thought if I moved the cabinet over, I'd put a piece of mirror on the wall to cover the screw holes.

You guys have any thoughts?
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:52pm
This is slightly off topic because these anchors need more than a 1 inch wall cavity to engage but I thought I'd mention them because they are so phenomenally strong. 

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

I've used these to attach thousands of solar modules to roof sheathing when the rafters weren't accessible, with zero failures. They will tear a hole out of the sheathing/drywall, etc before they fail. Never had the anchor itself fail. 

Highly recommended for the right application. I like them so much I've sometimes cut them down to fit in a shallow wall cavity. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:47pm
I've used some similar ones that are spring loaded such that the arms pop out when they pass through the wall.  If my memory serves me they'd need about an inch or so to open.  They don't spread the force as evenly as the ones offgrid suggested, so they might not hold as well.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:13am
Yeah the folding metal wing toggles will fail at the hinges. The snaptoggles are a single piece little c-channel with a threaded hole. No hinged parts to fail. The plastic parts just break off flush with the wall once you've installed it, they perform no function after that. So the snaptoggles have to get pulled right through the wall as a single piece in order to fail; their ultimate strength is the force required to rip the hole in the wall itself. 

However, I don't think they could be made to work in a foam filled 1 inch deep wall. Maybe if you formed a horizontal slot in the wall long enough to slip the snaptoggle in then rotated it into a vertical position and tightened it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:16am
The ones I linked to might spread out OK. When you insert them into the hole, you pinch them so that the ends of the anchor pieces go in the wall first and gradually spread out as they go in. I guess it all depends on how hard the foam is.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>