This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your thoughts?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:23pm
I personally wonder what the percentage of people actually having quality problems is? The only things we encountered were very minor issues that I might classify as "cleaning" and/or really trivial trim issues. None of them actually required tools or parts on our part.

There are a couple of items that might fall into the area of product improvement.

One is the black/gray drain hangars coming apart. I don't know how these are done on other campers, but that might be a place to look. We took the initiative to add a couple of heavy duty clevis hangars, and as far as we are concerned, that issue is handled.

Two is the weak reinforcement under the shower stall. That seems to come up quite often, and could well be dealt with during/before construction.

Otherwise... Camp on!
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:25pm
David - lipstick on a pig, not what I'm looking for.

Davmar - -1 to a plus 4, folks buying things without any consideration of what it takes to own, you haven't seen this? Not my experience , here.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by David

Another way to "skin the cat" might be to keep the present Rpod line but, maybe add a few "Gold Series" editions with upgrades. Kind of like with cars - you can get the "base" model or purchase the "Luxury Touring" model with all of the bells and whistles.

David,

I think the issue is lack of quality control and workmanship, not lack of advanced features. A "gold series" built with the same lack of quality would be even a bigger disappointment.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:38pm
David,

Now that this has started - how many of us believe our Pods are poor quality and built bad? Maybe a survey, Obviously some are happy some are not. Me I am happy, maybe I am in minority. Give us a vote Bro.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by mcarter

Davmar - -1 to a plus 4, folks buying things without any consideration of what it takes to own, you haven't seen this? Not my experience , here.

Your absolutely right mcarter and yes of course I've seen what your talking about.

Though, everyone, what I think we need to get back to is what was David original post question. Remember he asked about the lack of quality not owner induced errors or having no knowledge of camper trailer and their systems.

I think a vote from 1 to 10 would be a great idea!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:15pm
We are currently on our second pod. We bought the first one(173) just after we retired. We wanted to travel and had always been tent campers.  We fell in love with the pod and the overall rv travel concept. We did a lot of mods, travelled across the country several times, putting about 25,000 miles on it.  After  6 Years, we moved up to a 179 and still love the rpod, the rv life and the whle idea behind rving.

Both of our pods were purchased used and were about 2 years old when we purchased them.  Neither of them had been used extensively or modded.

We have never had any serious problems with either pod and felt that both of them were good values.  We have put about 3500 miles on our 179 and our 173 continues to be used by our friends that purchased it. 

I think the pods fit a very wide range of needs and desires.  Their appeal comes from simplicity, uniqueness and the ability to modify it to your own needs.  I don’t remember who it was, but one of our members said that the pod has good bones to work with.  I agree.  It is sold in design and better than average in execution. As others have said, imitation is tthe truest form of flattery.

We love our pod, would buy another and suggest one for anyone that needs a quality trailer like the pod.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 11:26pm
Well, if you're looking for "quality", you can always get a Bowlus Road Chief On the Road 26' Edition for $185,000 (that's the base price folks).

Of course, there are a couple of negative issues, like the triangular-shaped twin-bed bedroom, the 19 gallon fresh water tank, the 21 gallon gray water tank, and the 4.5 gallon black water tank.

You could buy an Rpod every year for 10 years and spend less money.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:45am

We are getting some good stuff here!

A couple have mentioned having a vote/poll. Any/all of you should have the ability to create a poll. If you don't let us know and furpod, Techntrek or myself can remedy that. It is not much different than opening a new thread and is an option at the top of that page. I can see perhaps more than one poll as, I see more than one "theme" in reading the posts above. Be fair and craft your poll in such a way as to allow for opinions that may differ from your own.

PS- If memory serves, polls will allow only one response to the poll question however, allow for many possible "answers"/potential responses.

MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:54am
During the recent Mini Mini I had a brief, but interesting conversation a representative from Forest River.  The jest of the conversation was that "quality" and the strength of your opinions about it were related to your expectations, but also your financial investment in your unit.  Specifically, if your income was a the lower end of the spectrum and the purchase price was a significant part of your net worth your expectations might be greater than one who bought their unit with pocket change.  

I thought this was an interesting thought.  I would add to that your ability to deal with simple home repairs and improvements might impact your opinion also.  

I know very little about survey design but unless you factor in where the person answering is coming from your information may have little validity.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:15am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Well, if you're looking for "quality", you can always get a Bowlus Road Chief On the Road 26' Edition for $185,000 (that's the base price folks).

Of course, there are a couple of negative issues, like the triangular-shaped twin-bed bedroom, the 19 gallon fresh water tank, the 21 gallon gray water tank, and the 4.5 gallon black water tank.

You could buy an Rpod every year for 10 years and spend less money.

We did in fact look at ordering one of those.. we are still looking at them, but I personally have become enamored with the Neutron.. Partly because, years ago, while doing some repairs on a friends vintage Scotty, that had been "restored".. (for a fair amount of money I might add..) It occurred to me that a person or persons could do an off the shelf, all modern construction methods and materials, REAL retro camper. And Flyte Camp was the first one I saw actually done that way. The Bowlus is a copy, very very nicely done, of an original, so they had to stick with what was originally there. BTW, the few remaining original Bowlus Road Chiefs out there, are all valued at over a million dollars each.. Last time I was at the Airstream factory, they had one in for restoration.

At the time we were discussing "skinning" furpod in aluminum, or giving it a shiny "wrap"... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>