R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrefrigerator not lighting on propane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: refrigerator not lighting on propane
    Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 7:15am
This is not really urgent, I am shifting stuff to a cooler, but I'm off to goose hunt in 3 hours and the refer won't switch from electric to propane. No click, no nothin', no alarm either, and the temperature is going up, (the stove does ignite).

I thought,'Maybe those little bugs again', so took off outside screen and blasted it with a can of compressed gas for cleaning computers. The result was a surprising ball of fire and some smoke, but also I heard the refer going 'clickety click' several times. Repeat blast from can and repeat result, more ball of fire and more clicks. I read the can, 'Do not use where it may ignite', (I know - 'Duh...') so maybe some of that ball of fire is the can, but it seems really disproportionate for the gas from the can and I presume there's propane igniting there, too.

So, please educate me.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 7:34am
I had that happen and it turned out to be a bad burner nozzle.  It was an expensive part for being so small.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 7:35am
Turn the fridge all the way off, and back on. It may take a couple cycles if it's been a while since it ran on gas..
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 7:49am
Is the gas burner area in the refer hot to the touch? It could be the gas is running just fine but the refer refrigerant has been lost via a leak. Happens to all these absorption refers eventually, the refrigerant is ammonia and is corrosive. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:35am
Ball of fire sounds more like the flue is blocked. There could possibly be a wasp nest in there. Remove the top vent cover. Take off the slanted T shaped flue cap and pull out the wire containing the flat spiral part. Shine a light in the top. Can you see the light at the burner? If so, then it is likely clear or only partially blocked. If not, then the flue is blocked. If it is, then clear out the blockage, reassemble, and try again.

As for the burner, if you take the gas line loose from it, there should be a small disk shaped piece in it with a tiny hole in it. Clean that with 93% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol. Do not poke anything through the hole. If that disk is missing, then you need to get one STAT.

If cleaning the flue and burner don't work, then it is possible that the refrigerant has leaked. Check the simple things first though. BTW, the compressed gas used in those cans of computer cleaner are flammable. My advice on cleaning is still valid, but the ball of fire was from the cleaner. It is much like holding a lighter in front of a can of hair spray and spraying. It is a home-made flame-thrower.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply