R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDisaster Recovery (Computer, that is)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disaster Recovery (Computer, that is)
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by StephenH

See edits above.
That is the problem that the stored photo does not have a ".jpg" attached to the file name. I consider that a shortcoming of this forum's software not being able to eek out the link is, in fact, a photo. I found the same problem in Google photos, and DropBox. You can work around it if you store the photos in your Google drive however.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 8:08pm
Well, I have my system working again so at present I will stick with what works. It is good to know that there is an alternative if I should need it in the future.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm
Glad you are back together again. We have a triple redundancy storage system for our photos. First-level storage is my home desktop system (the "pants"). Second-level storage is our in-house NAS (the "belt"). Third-level storage is a portable hard drive (the "suspenders").

The first level is just where we put everything. No thought about it other than dropping photos or whatever on it.

The second level happens automatically, and again, no thought is put into it, except that I check it periodically to make sure things are still working.

The third level I "push the button" about once a week to incrementally copy stuff from the NAS to the portable backup drive.

Finally, I have a monthly breakfast group that I meet with. One of the fellows in that group and I exchange our portable hard drives.

May sound paranoid (and maybe it is), but I've lost things in the past, and this system ensures that I have a backup, and a backup to the backup.

bp
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 11:06pm
I have been debating getting or building a NAS device. The online storage with SpiderOak is the off-site storage. The "belt" is what I am missing.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 6:24am
Although tempting if you have lots of data, don't use a raid 5 parity based system for backup. Ask me how I know...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:07am
We keep a 3-month running backup. This is my level of paranoia. If one of our computers gets a virus, we can roll-back to a known clear condition.

Our NAS is RAID 5, although I think the vendor calls it 5X. It allows us the ability to increase storage by swapping out the old drives with larger ones. When we originally purchased it, each of the discs were 250GB, and over the years, one, then another crapped out (SMART actually gave us a warning when each of them was starting to go). Instead of replacing them with same-size drives, I swapped them for 1TB discs. After a couple of them had failed, I went ahead and swapped the other two.

Our 3-month running backup is now totaling about 1TB. Way bigger than I would want to back up over the net.
bp
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:33am
I was up to I think 15TB on a Raid 5 with 2 parity drives and 5 data drives, all 5TB. Thought dual parity drives would keep me safe and all was good until I had a brownout and lost 3 drives at once including both parity drives. No way to recover from that with that backup structure. After much work I was able to recover maybe about 75% of my files by hand. I'm done with parity based backups, I just duplicate drives and store one set off site now. Storage is so ridiculously cheap now its not an issue anymore.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:34am
sorry all 3TB not 5
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:23am
Are you doing any backups? I do one on-site and one off-site. The on-site is a Time Machine backup on a Drobo that I can use to restore all my computer files, including the OS. The off-site is through the Carbonite service and only includes home directories.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 11:45am
If you mean me yes I'm now manually backing up hard drives and storing them offsite. Way too much data for online storage. 

Before no, when I had the raid 5 system that was my only backup for that data, which was non-critical, storage was still too expensive for me to do full backups then. I've always made multiple backups for critical data though. So what I lost then wasn't the end of the world, just an experience I personally don't ever want to repeat.  YMMV. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>