R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDisaster Recovery (Computer, that is)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disaster Recovery (Computer, that is)
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 9:33pm
If anyone tried to view my mods in the past few days and wondered where the pictures went, I had a solid state drive suddenly fail, putting my whole system offline. Since I self-host my pictures, this meant that the links were broken.  Fortunately, I have most of my files on a separate drive, including all my picture files. They are also backed up using SpiderOak One, which is an online encrypted storage so my private information remains private as SpiderOak is a zero-knowledge (meaning they don't hold the keys, I do so they can't decrypt my files) storage system.

I have now purchased and installed a new solid-state drive and have reinstalled Fedora 29 Linux. I have more reconfiguring and reloading of utilities to do, but my basic web server is working and the pictures are again showing up in my mods. I'll have to look to see if I have posted pictures elsewhere that are not showing up so I can put copies of them in the proper place so the image links will work again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:34pm
 Glad you got your server going and best of luck getting everything running again. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:22pm
The hardest part is finding out (other than the obvious ones such as my mods or other threads I started) where I have posted pictures so I can find out which ones need to get re-added to the proper directory to make the links work. Thankfully, some of the pictures are there from when the forum still allowed upload of pictures.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
Just curious StephenH, why do you self-host?  I get the security concerns but wouldn't be easier for things like mod photos that you are making broadly available, just to use one of the free services? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:46pm
Same curiosity. If you subscribe to Prime, not only do you get the mostly-free shipping, but you also get a subscription to Prime Video, AND (and this is the relevant part) unlimited free photo storage. The best part is that Amazon will handle all the data backup overhead. There are other benefits as well, like Prime discounts at Whole Paycheck (maybe that's not so great?).

Anywho, back to your regularly scheduled topic drift.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:54pm
Thanks GlueGuy, I'm a long time Prime customer (can't live without it here being 1.5 hours from a Home Depot or Lowe's, love that brown truck) but didn't know about the photo benefit. You can keep Whole Paycheck though...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:55pm
After having hundreds of posts destroyed, and esp my mods thread that was a dozen pages long when photobucket lost their minds.. I would self host rather then using an online service if I could put up with it. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 6:36pm
I had not considered Amazon Photos. Since I am a Prime member, I could store photos there. The big reason I have not used third-party photo storage sites is that I objected to the terms of use. For example, Imagur's Terms of Service include:

"With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to Imgur pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content Imgur has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense. Also, of course, anything you post to a public portion of our site may be used by the public pursuant to the following paragraph even after you delete it."

I do not want to grant any company such rights to my images. I have not been able to find Amazon's terms of service. Before I use them for photos, I would like to make sure the rights to my photos remain mine. That is the main reason I decided to self-host my photos.

Edit: It looks like Amazon does not specify that I would be granting them a license to use my photos if I store them there. I guess I will have to give it a test and see how hard it is to post a link to a photo stored there so it shows up on the forum.

Edit: I tried uploading a photo to Amazon and then sharing the photo to here. I pasted the photo link Amazon gave me but it did not work. The link is: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/7SdgcqBiQBZhsVv9SfItrNcPlGkiRF2f9W2v0Wo2x5d
This is much the same problem I had trying to use Google's photo storage and links. I never could get it to work. That is the other reason I decided to self-host. When I host the file, I can size it and name it and it shows up properly in the post.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 6:51pm
To get to Amazon photos, Select "Accounts & Lists" from the main Amazon page. About 2/3 of the way down, you will find "Your Amazon Photos". When you select that link, it will request you to login (if you haven't already).

I can find no terms of use WRT photos. May have to poke around a bit for that, but as far as I have been able to determine, the photos are yours.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 6:54pm
See edits above.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>