Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThousand Trails Long Beach WA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thousand Trails Long Beach WA
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 4:27pm

When we bought our R-pod 180 in June this year our dealer gave us a one year membership in Thousand Trails campgrounds.  A couple weeks ago we finaly decided to try it out.

The Thousand Trails RV park in Seaview right next to Long Beach on the southwest Washington coast is the one we picked to try out the full hookup style of travel trailer camping.  It was nice to not worry about running out of water and be able to use the microwave oven.

Long Beach is on a long narrow peninsula just a couple miles north of the fishing town of Ilwaco and the mouth of the Columbia River. It is the only place in Washington where motor vehicles are allowed on the beach which is 28 miles long.  The Discovery Trail is a paved trail right along the beach a short walk from the campground.  It runs eight miles south to the lewis and clark interpretive center on the bluffs above the Columbia river bar.

It would have been a great place to have our bikes but we didn’t,  so drove a couple miles each day to our daily adventures.  Washington State parks Discovery pass is required for the state park campgrounds and day use sites close by.  There are quite a few sites related to the history of Lewis and Clark.

Our Camp

North Head Lighthouse in service 1898   Two miles north of Cape Disappointment Lighthouse in service 1856.  It was built to inhance navigation due to the many shipwrecks off the Columbia River Bar...The “Graveyard of the Pacific.

Gun turret and bunker used in WW One and WW two.  At Cape Disappointment Lewis and Clark interpretive center.

The Black band is to help differentiate from North head.

Bronze replica of Pine Tree on the Discovery trail.  Furthest extent of lewis and Clark’s travel.  “November 19, 1805.  Clark, York and 10 others proceeded north of the cape approximately four miles before returning to their Station Camp.  Clark wrote, I proceeded up the course and marked my name & the day of the month on a pine tree.”

Side walk at Station camp State park campground.  Each concrete plank is etched with information from one place to another.  Distance to the mouth of the Missourie, Latitude and remarks.  “Here the first recorded vote by a Woman and a Black man occured when Sacagawea and York had a voice in where the Corps would winter.” 

South Jetty on the Columbia River Bar

Breakers on the South jetty.

Cargo Ship just finished crossing the Columbia River bar.  The little white spec to the left off the ship’s bow is the River Pilots boat.  Ships crossing the bar are required to wait for a licensed Columbia River bar Pilot to board the ship and steer it across the bar.

Whale bones along the Discovery trail.

A kite festivel in Long Beach.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 4:54pm
Thanks for posting. My grandparents had a place on Long Beach near Ilwaco. I fondly recall clamming and fishing there as a kid. With long flat drivable beaches and an old lighthouse it reminds me of a West Coast Outer Banks. 

I recall that my grandparents deed went to mean high tide and their beach and property (very unlike the OBX which is eroding) was growing rapidly due to sand depositing from the Columbia. Do you know if that's still true there?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I recall that my grandparents deed went to mean high tide and their beach and property (very unlike the OBX which is eroding) was growing rapidly due to sand depositing from the Columbia. Do you know if that's still true there?

Yes the the beach is growing quite a bit.  The beaches started growing due to sand deposition for quite a ways on the land side of  both the north and south jettys after they were constructed in the late 1800s.  At a couple view points along the highway between Long Beach and cape Disappointment there are before and after photos showing how much the land has grown.

At the North end of the Peninsula it not only has grown but in the past 20 years it has transitioned from sand dunes to a pine and spruce forest.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:27pm
This is such great information including the photos, thank you! Can't wait to take RPod to this area. Haven't been there in too long in any case. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply