Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant of the day
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:49am
Furpod/David,

The only one I can recall is the member who started a big brouhaha, then signed on with an additional account to support himself. Techntrek caught the IPs were the same.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by David

furpod

I know that I have deleted 2-3 persons (one of them is still here - under another user name). PM me if you want to know. I don't specifically recall deleting any their posts but, I may have - if the post was bad enough and I was mad enough! I can say with 100% certainty that is was not marwayne. In fact, I think one of the "deletes" was an individual that repeatedly insisted upon trying to insult you.

You are too easy on these folks. You need to dust off your axe and lop off some heads!

Yes.. that was the one I was referencing.. really, the only one I remember.. but maybe just because I was involved in it...

I think the first "delete" was doing the same thing with member "Outbound", as yourself - being personally insulting to him, several years ago. The third was last year, when a member refused to stop posting religious matter. All were warned and defied the warnings. Both Outbound and yourself were defending yourselves admirably but, my position is - why should you HAVE to. Also, the other members should not be subjected to the offenders' obnoxious behavior. This falls under that general clause in the rules "anything we find objectionable".

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that because....now you might delete ME!   

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:53am
Its a borehole fitted with a hand pump. I asked the guy how deep it was and he wasn't sure. I know the water table isn't more than 15-20 feet, it only takes about 8-10 strokes to bring up the water. 

So TT you could be right, could be a deep well with a shallow water table, which would create a large water volume to quickly dilute the bleach. They are required to test it once a month and they come by the day before and bleach it. 

The water there is discolored and full of iron and sulphur anyhow. I wouldn't drink it bleach or no bleach. Some campers do though. My dog likes the flavor, but then...he's a dog. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:07pm

Nothing is changing around here folks. Change would require effort/work and, as mentioned in another thread, I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Unless it is posted by one of the moderators, it is an opinion of one of our members. However, marwayne makes a valid point about "thread drift" and was brave for posting. On the other hand, I don't think it is a "fixable" problem. Some amount of "drift" can be good, as some have pointed out. It's going to happen, just like in voice conversation.

I'm confident that I can speak for the other moderators in that none of us are looking for more work to do and/or opportunities to "police" the forum.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:12pm
The curious thing is that a certain amount of thread drift is actually productive. What I mean is that with all the best of intentions, someone is commenting in-context on the main topic of the thread, and then throws in an off-hand (or maybe not off-hand) comment in an orthogonal direction, and suddenly we are in thread drift or something quite different. However, if it is really bringing up something that we or at least 2 people feel is worthwhile discussing, it will spawn another thread that we can then corrupt for entirely different reasons.

Thread drift is a knife that cuts both ways.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
lostagain, you walk up to a rusty ole hand pump in a little bitty campground in WV and start pumping it. After awhile water comes out. You have no idea how long its been since it was last used. Are you going to just chug the first water that comes out or are you going to pump it for awhile to clear it, then give the water a look, a smell test, and finally a taste test before drinking it down? Glad to hear I wouldn't incur any liability. I'd still feel like if I saw you I should mosey on over and let you know about the bleach though. 

Aptos Creek where it runs into Seacliff Beach is a trickle a few feet wide and a few inches deep except after a winter storm. Trust me, you can see the bottom just fine all summer long. Like in the water pump case, are you going to just dive in head first from 10 feet up or are you going to walk on out there and see how deep it really is? 

Anyhow, we've probably expended enough bytes of data on these potential Darwin Awards candidates by now...

BTW, here is an actual Darwin Winner that can remind us to always disconnect our power cords from the pedestal before the trailer:

(14 January 2015, New Zealand) Finally some rest for Matthew Smith, 26, killed while trying to silence noisy late-night music at the Whangaruru Beachfront Motor Camp in Oakura.

Loud teenage tunes blared out from the neighboring caravan for hours, making sleep impossible! Half an hour after midnight our exasperated Darwin Award winner, a sound and lighting technician, set out to sort out the problem with a metal Leatherman tool.

The coroner determined that Mr Smith disconnected the power cord from the caravan, then tried to sever the plug from the cord whilst the other end was still connected to the campground power box. At 3AM he was found dead with the Leatherman tool fused to his hand, along with a half-cut power cord.

Ironically, the rowdy teenagers had battery-powered lamps and speakers so the loss of power was not immediately investigated. The person who found Matthew nearly became another Darwin Award winner, received a nasty shock upon touching the smoking body! This person then went on to unplug the live cord !! from the power box before calling emergency services.

Police were satisfied that there was no foul play. The power authority was satisfied with the condition of the campground power source. A Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor (GFCI or RCD) would have saved Matthew's life, but such are required only at new campsite installations. The coroner recommended RCD's be installed at all New Zealand caravan parks to protect people from harmful electric shocks.

"The reality here is that the disconnection should have been at the power box, not the camper van," said Fire Brigade Deputy Chief Gallagher.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm
Like I say, personal responsibility is not currently in fashion among many people.  

One would think that before leaping, one would look to see what the landing situation is like, but some, teens especially, think they are immortal.  And often they find out the hard way that they break when subjected to sufficient physical forces.  

As for the tragic death of Mr. Smith, one can understand being driven temporarily insane by the loud music, thus, his conduct, though not wise, is understandable.  In fact, a clever lawyer might even be able to convince a jury that some form of payment by those making the noise to the heirs of Mr. Smith would be justifiable on the basis of comparative fault.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:48pm
All teens think they're immortal, and until the current climate of helicopter parenting became popular, they sometimes didn't make it through to adulthood. But nearly all did and on the way they had to learn how to make better decisions for themselves so were much more likely to be prepared for that adulthood than the current crop typically are.  We like to complain about all the time teenagers spend now playing video games but if they aren't allowed to have any real world fun because just maybe something bad could happen, who's actually to blame? ...anyway that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it...

Gotta love clever lawyers....but.... not in NZ, they have quite unique tort law. 

http://www.med.or.jp/english/pdf/2008_01/058-060.pdf. 

One reason that high risk sports like commercial bungee jumping originated there, nowhere else in the  world could a startup have gotten insurance for it.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The curious thing is that a certain amount of thread drift is actually productive. What I mean is that with all the best of intentions, someone is commenting in-context on the main topic of the thread, and then throws in an off-hand (or maybe not off-hand) comment in an orthogonal direction, and suddenly we are in thread drift or something quite different. However, if it is really bringing up something that we or at least 2 people feel is worthwhile discussing, it will spawn another thread that we can then corrupt for entirely different reasons.
Thread drift is a knife that cuts both ways.

Interesting. One question in my mind is:

What is the difference between "thread drift" and "hijacking" someone's thread?

I think most can understand drift. On the other hand, hijacking has traditionally been considered quite rude. Hijackers seize a thread and post comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's comment/questions/remarks.

So, fellow members, your thoughtful comments, please.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 5:06pm
David,

Thread drift is normal. It's just a comment. Or maybe several but it doesn't take away from the original post. It doesn't add multiple pages to a post. Hijacking a thread occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread. That's the urban dictionary definition of it. Right now we have an OP saying OK go back to your other conversation, same thread, multiple posts in a thread that have nothing to do with the topic. The thread is hard to follow, I find myself going back on posts to see what the OP said to assist. What is the real goal of forum? To allow folks to talk about issues or to give a voice to people who like to post a lot. Without consideration to topic. I appreciate educated, intelligent folks, you don't need to convince me on every post, mellow out. I don't see the forum as a Chat Room, maybe that is my bad. I'll take hit for that. I try to answer the OP, then back off and see if there is a follow on. My 2 cents.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>