R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane tank transportation safety?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane tank transportation safety?
    Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:44pm
Question:

Is it unsafe to carry a five gallon propane tank in an enclosed pickup camper shell? I left my other tank at home this summer and used disposables for my bbq because my wife was concerned about transporting a propane tank in the shell.

It Would be nice to have another five gallon tank on board to be able to switch out the trailer tank if it ran out at a campground. I ended up just buying an inline LPG gauge so I could tell how much gas I had left on the rPod tank.

Is she being overly cautious or is this an unsafe practice?

Thanks in advance for any input.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 10:30pm
We carry 2 spares in the back of our truck with the camper shell.  I open the windows on each side so that there is plenty of ventilation.  And they are at the back tailgate where there is quite a bit of air leakage.  Since propane is heavier than air, it needs an easy way out if the tank releases some gas. The tailgate area has about 3/8th inch of opening at the bottom when closed.  

In boats with propane, they have a sealed off from the rest of the boat compartment that has an air opening up high and a small hole down below.  I guess it's adequate or there'd be a lot of boat companies in a world of hurt over propane explosions.  

Seems to me the key is to provide adequate ventilation so that any gas that escapes the tank can get out of the confined space quickly.  Cars and SUV's are too airtight and have too many unvented low spots for that sort of thing, especially with the windows up and the ac on.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 6:27am
I won't address the safe vs. unsafe question directly, using those terms always triggers a discussion based on personal perception of safety risk, which generally leads nowhere.

Instead since I was curious what regulations actually apply to the private transport of propane cylinders for personal use (I say private because the USDOT regulates commercial transport but that doesn't apply to us), and what they require. There are DOT regs which apply to the cylinder construction, filling, certification, and recertification but those are not the topic here. 

Also, I ignored any "rules" being promulgated in presentations by various players in the lpg industry. Those are not regulatory. I also excluded the regs controlling transport of cylinders which are part of the RV. Those are in NFPA 1192 and apply to the pod itself, including any mods you do to them. 

But so far the only standard I found that applies to personal transportation of propane in the tow vehicle is NFPA 58. To be clear, the NFPA standards in themselves are not regulatory either, they have to be adopted by local authorities having jurisdiction to become mandatory. Most AHJ's do adopt the NFPA standards, but they might be a cycle or two out of date or have local amendments. NC has apparently adopted the latest cycle of NFPA 58.

To paraphrase 9.3.2 of NFPA 58 you apparently can transport up to 420 lbs of propane in an open pickup bed and 90 lbs in an enclosed vehicle, which would include cars, suvs, or enclosed pickup caps. There is a max of 2 cylinders if its an enclosed vehicle. In all cases the cylinders must be positioned on flat floors or in racks and secured in position. If the cylinders are sized for less than 45 lbs propane then they can be loaded in any position. No ventilation requirements are listed. Disclaimer: this is not a formal statement of the requirements nor a recommendation, just my attempt to try to determine what regulations allow you to do and restrict you from doing.  

So there it is so far. I'm still going to look for other regs that might apply, perhaps there are local county or city level ones in your areas, I haven't found any where I live yet. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 6:29am
We carry an extra 20 tank in the back of our pick-up.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:26am
OldNeumanntapr, regulations aside, if there is a concern about storing your 2nd propane tank in your camper shell why not get a dual tank bracket and keep both tanks on the tongue?  Many folks here have done that. An added benefit is you can get an auto transfer setup so you'll never run out of propane in the middle of a cold rainy night. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:52am
Originally posted by offgrid

OldNeumanntapr, regulations aside, if there is a concern about storing your 2nd propane tank in your camper shell why not get a dual tank bracket and keep both tanks on the tongue?  Many folks here have done that. An added benefit is you can get an auto transfer setup so you'll never run out of propane in the middle of a cold rainy night. 

easiest answer.

20 bucks to put on a rack, 20 more to put a double cover on, 70 or so to add a dual auto switching regulator and a second pigtail.

tank mount

Tank Cover

You can buy propane tank stabilizers and then just bungie the thing in place in the bed. either works. Many people who tote a spare in the bed find that a 5 gallon tank fits nicely in a milk crate, which has lots of bungie cord attachment points.

BTW, the inline tank gauges are pretty much useless. They work on pressure, and because they are on the high pressure side of the regulator, they show "working pressure" until moments before.. they don't. pressurized gases aren't used like fluid fuels.. they stay, (and have to) stay, at full pressure until the very end. Dometic makes a sonic tester, there is one available that uses weight, one that uses sonic checks and is permanently mounted to the bottom of the tank(s), and bluetooths to your phone, and of course stick on or the good old fashioned hot water test.

You can also, if you want to spend the money, buy either a transparent tank, OR, a tank with a built in float gauge.

Some options..

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:19am
+1
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:32am
Just one caveat on dual tanks on the tongue, and that's tongue weight. You'll be adding 40 lbs, so be sure you have the headroom for that on your rig. I don't, which is the only reason I haven't done this yet. But as soon as I can get that 130 lbs of lead and sulfuric acid off of there its next on my list. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:35am
i use the heavy plastic milk carton crates to hold the propane tanks.  They fit in quite snugly.  Then it's an easy effort to use a bungee cord to attach them to a tie down in the aft end of the bed of the truck.  They are stable and secure.  Of course in a severe accident they could break free, but on balance, that risk is relatively low.  

And to keep things nice and explosive, we also occasionally carry a can of gasoline in a steel UI-50-FS-Type 1 container, sometimes a couple.  But then, we have a rapidly decreasing 20 gallons of gasoline in a tank under the truck too.  All a bomb waiting to go off.  It's a good thing we don't smoke.

I would prefer diesel as a fuel, but my truck came with a gasoline engine and it's not practical to change it.  I did that once with a boat, changing the engine to diesel that is.  I sprang a leak in a 20 gallon tank of gas at sea and it was a harrowing trip home with gasoline draining into the bildge.  I replaced both the tank and the engine.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:10am
It was an Atomic (bomb) 4 right? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold