Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRV 178 water dripping - exterior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RV 178 water dripping - exterior
    Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 11:57am
Wouldn't work here on the NC coast, the tarp would just blow off, and the tiedowns would damage the trailer finish in the process. Pretty windy on the OR coast too.  How much wind do you get where you are camped there Bouldergal? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
BoulderGal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm
Pacific NW gets some hellacious storms.  I'm finished with the current travel contract mid December.  I believe the storms are the worst from then on for a few months.  But, I may be right back to the same job for another 3 months starting mid January so I'm sure I'll see a LOT more wind and rain.  I took this job for several reasons, one of which is to see if I really want to live in one of these little coastal towns.  Of course, that would be in a real, full time home and then taking my trailer off on trips elsewhere.

BoulderGal
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 1:04pm
No hurricanes in the pacific NW though...Either way, it might be tough to keep a tarp on up there. They do make a fitted cover for the roof a/c units, you can get them on Amazon or Camping World or wherever.  Maybe get one of those and strap it real well. 

I'd still suggest starting by taking off he a/c cover and cleaning and inspecting under there (between storms). The a/c sits on a small standard 14x14 inch square cutout like the one the bath vent is in, so generally its pretty easy to see what's causing the leak. Lots of times its the condensate pan drain (which is supposed to drain onto the roof and down the side of the trailer) which is clogged. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:03pm
We get 15 to 25 mph winds all the time out here in the desert of NV.  Blows off the mountain to the west of our house.  I used nylon cord and bungees to hold our tarp on and it did just fine.  The trick is to get a size that wraps around the sides some, but not enough to block the door or windows.  I put some small boat [really dinghy] line cleats along the side of our Pod to tie down our solar panel and found they were handy for the tarp too.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
BoulderGal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 9:37pm
Ok, back to the campground and there was a minimal amount of leakage from my a/c during the 3 days I was gone but I imagine there was a fair amount of rain.  When I do a Google search for an rPod a/c cover, it just shows the overall trailer covers,  I seriously doubt I'm going to get a dry day coupled with daylight anytime soon plus I have to find a ladder  somewhere here (I'm sure the park owners and/or maintenance guy have one).  I feel like there's a tiny bit of moisture along the ceiling/wall seam over my sink so water is probably spreading out in the space between outside shell and inside "ceiling."  So, I need to act sooner rather than later.  Can anyone please send me a link for where to order the a/c cover some of you recommended (for my 2015 178).  It looks like the city water vs. fresh water was resolved by running the pump but I'll know for sure this week.  If not at least I know where to find the pump and replace any parts necessary.  It used to be so simple to set up and break down a tent.  No bathroom tho!!!  

Sometimes being a "Jane of all trades" gets really old!
Susan
BoulderGal
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:47pm
If your AC is leaking inside, I don't think it has anything to do with the cover outside. There is a thick foam rubber gasket between the roof and the AC, the weight of the AC squashes the gasket therefore you have to tighten the AC down. Remove the cover on the inside, I think there are about 6 screws that have to be removed. Take a flashlight and find the screws they are hidden in the holes, once you have the cover removed snag up the 4 bolts that hold the AC in place, not to tight, you don't want to squash to gasket to much. By the way I'm the guy that referred you to this group.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:57pm
IIRC, there are 8 screws holding the inside shroud. There should be two at each end, one under each of the side flaps and two more about halfway between them and the filters. I can't check right now because our R-Pod is at the dealer's service department. Marwayne is correct. Use a flashlight to find the screws. If you remove the ones you see and it is still staying up there, then look for more screws.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 7:28am
Susan, the outside shroud doesn't do much in regard to water proofing except to keep the rain off the equipment.  If it is cracked, of course, that's a horse of a different color and you may need to replace it if it's letting water get into parts of the system that aren't designed to shed water.  The shroud sits above the roof about 2 or 3 inches, depending on the model.  

Mine is cracked and needs replacement as it's temporarily taped with Eternabond tape that i have had on there about a year.  Later today, I'm going to start the search for the replacement.  I called Dometic once and they gave me some of the information about the unit, but they consider it obsolete even though it's a 2009 trailer.  

Sounds like your leak is, as was suggested by Marwayne, is related to the seal between the roof and air conditioner.  Best of luck in figuring it out.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:47pm
Take out the filters first then the screws.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:26pm
Just a comment, first +1 to Marwayne, the gasket is tightened from the inside, after removal of the inside shroud. The water is coming from the outside, so +1 to Lostagin, covering the AC from outside may assist until one can get the gasket tightened.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>