Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRV 178 water dripping - exterior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RV 178 water dripping - exterior
    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:56pm
I think you will be alright if you just get city water turned off and use a little water. That will get the level down in the FW tank.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
BoulderGal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:56pm
I'm using my fresh water tank until it's depleted but just don't understand how it got filled without me doing it from the connection on the outside of the trailer.  And, it seems like using city water would be "fresher" as long as I have my pressure regulator installed between the spigot and the hose.  Your thoughts?
Susan
BoulderGal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:58pm
Can you tell me on the 178 exactly where I need to find the check valve?  I'm still learning where everything is at and the manual is NO help.
Susan
BoulderGal
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 4:15am
BoulderGal, if you've got the leaking stopped then you are 99% of the way there for now. 

When you say you're having trouble getting the cap off the water tank, are you talking about the fill cap next to your city water connection or the drain cap under the trailer? You don't have to drain the water tank now since nothing is leaking.  All you really need to still do for now is to get the fill cap off the water tank so you can fill it back up with the hose when you run low on water. It's the same water in your tank as in your city water line, no worries about that. Try giving the fill cap a little push and counterclockwise turn action and see if that works. 

The check valve is part of the pump. In your trailer as mcarter says: "open the back of the cabinets under the sink, both in the cabinet and on the floor. You should be able to see the water lines to faucet and possible outside shower unit as well as the water pump and lines." If you're not sure what you're looking at you can turn on some water so the pump turns on and you can find it by following the sound. But again, there is no rush about fixing that check valve as long as you can fill from the hose and pump water without getting leaks. 

No schematics from Forest River, sorry. We get to figure all this stuff out on our own with help from this  and other forums. Just think of it as part of the fun Wacko
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:41am
Susan,

The check valve is built into the pump, right on the end. It allows the city water and/or the pump to pressurize the faucets but prevents the city water from feeding back into the FW tank. At least that's how it's supposed to work. Sometimes sand or plastic particles from the camper construction get lodged in the valve and prevent it from closing. Many people have had success clearing this simply by allowing the pump to cycle and flush it out. Therefore you may find the problem fixes itself while you're using the pump. It's worth a try . Just use your pump for a week or so, then turn on the city water and watch your FW tank level. If it doesn't refill you're good to go. If it does refill you need to replace the check valve. When you find the pump get the manufacture's name and model number. It's most likely a Shurflo. Go to their website and download the service manual.  Here are some recent posts on the subject.

Replacing the valve is easy. I'm sure Jane can handle it even in the rain Wink . If you continue to have trouble check back here and we'll try something else. Good luck.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:56am
Hi Charlie,
The link you gave me is expired Unhappy
Susan
BoulderGal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:58am
I was referring to the drain plug under the trailer on the fresh water holding tank.  I will explore under the sink this evening as you suggested! Thank you!!!
BoulderGal
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:00am
Originally posted by BoulderGal

I'm using my fresh water tank until it's depleted but just don't understand how it got filled without me doing it from the connection on the outside of the trailer.  And, it seems like using city water would be "fresher" as long as I have my pressure regulator installed between the spigot and the hose.  Your thoughts?
Susan
As has been mentioned, it most likely came from that check valve (on the pump). It's either defective, or it got a piece of crud in it to cause it to leak.

The issue of "freshness" is somewhat subjective and dependent on the original source for each. We like to take along our own fresh water on some trips, as we really like our well water, and it's a known good source. City water is "usually" OK, but it can be an issue some places.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:12am
Where ever you get your water, be it a well, a creek, a lake, a public water supply, just don't fill your tank in Flint, MI.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:12am
BoulderGal, I don't think you need to open the tank drain on the bottom anymore, you've said the leaking has stopped. You can take your time for here on, I think you've got things under control.

Thumbs Up
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>