Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRV 178 water dripping - exterior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RV 178 water dripping - exterior
    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:44pm
Hello everyone, Someone on an rPod forum suggested I contact this group. I have a 2015 that I'm currently camping in for a short work assignment on the Oregon Coast. This has been an "up close and personal" into to everything that might go wrong HAS. So, here are the details of which some may or not be pertinent: 1). I have ONLY had my water supply hooked up to city water this trip. I've been camping for about a month and the indicator showed I had about 1/2 tank of water in the fresh water tank. This is odd since I have the trailer winterized last winter and have never put water in the fresh water tank. 2) I do have a water pressure gauge between my hose and the campground faucet. 3) I noticed the other day that my fresh water tank was FULL! Again, no, I haven't filled it. 4) I saw water dripping from both of the rear corners of the camper (the end of the bed). It was also dripping a lot from where the hose was connected to the City Water connection. 5) There was a very slight amount of water inside each of the rear storage units under the trailer. (Just enough to get the tips of my fingers wet. 6) I switched over to using the pump and the water from the fresh water tank. I also turned off the city water from the spigot and released the pressure from the hose 7) Even after all of that, it stopped dripping but had started again from the rear corners this morning. I'm totally mystified. I'm unaware of any water lines of any type that are in the rear of the trailer. Can anyone help? Thank you so much,!!
BoulderGal
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 6:38am
BoulderGal, welcome. Sorry you're having so many problems. This forum is a great place to get advice (sometimes maybe too much advice Tongue).

First a disclaimer on my part, I'm not familiar in detail with the 178 plumbing routings, I have a 179.

Next, a dumb question, has it been raining while you've been there? You're obviously having plumbing difficulties but let's also rule out other sources of water intrusion.

Third, my recommendation is to actually look at the fresh water tank under your rPod and not trust the little sensors, they can be inaccurate. The fresh tank is translucent so you can easily see how much water is in it.

I believe all your plumbing equipment is in the rear of the 178 so if any of that is leaking then the water can run all over the area under the bed and in the storage areas. Enough water to get the tips of your fingers wet is a lot of water if its spread out back there. 

A couple of things you should do right away. Don't reconnect the city water. Run some water out of the fresh tank if it is full/overfull. Then, leave the water pump off.  You want to stop any more leaking before you have more problems due to water damage to the floor. 

Pull up the mattress and plywood to expose any wet areas around the furnace/pump/water heater area and dry up any visible water there and in the underbed storage. Get a little portable electric heater (assuming its not warm enough to just run a fan) and try to use it to get everything dried out. 

All the above is to try to get things dried out, it won't of course stop the leak itself. So getting back to that most likely the problem is that the check valve in your water pump that keeps city water from flowing back to the tank has failed. Usually that will result in the tank overflowing out the tank fill fitting but you're getting leaking elsewhere. And the usual temporary fix is to do what you already tried, just stop using the city water. 

That might have already worked and you're just seeing residual water from before you shut the city water off, or from the tank being too full. Or, you could have a leak somewhere in addition to the check valve problem. Either way, I think you have to get things dried out a bit so you can find out if there is still a leak and where it is. The pump itself and its fittings is a good place to start. 

Good luck, and others as they come on line today will have additional suggestions for you.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:39am
Years ago in my Keystone, I had a similar problem but it was very sporadic, it did not happen every time I plugged into city water.  After wrestling with the problem for awhile, I installed a water pressure regulator when connecting to city water.  That did the trick, never experienced the problem again.
Swampfox
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:45am
Welcome to the group! Agree about the city water check valve.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:15am
Bouldergal,

It wouldn't take much of an unlevel to cause water to flow to the rear and it may be taking path of least resistance to flow. Good you are using pressure regulator. Take the cap off the fresh water tank and let it drain, leave it off. Hook up your city water, but before you turn it on, open the back of the cabinets under the sink, both in the cabinet and on the floor. You should be able to see the water lines to faucet and possible outside shower unit as well as the water pump and lines. Turn on your city water and using a suitable light watch your water connections. Look for leaks. If water is coming out of your fresh water tank, your check valve is still an issue. What interests me is you said you have water dripping from the city connection, that could be a loose connection or it may be evidence of flow. You shouldn't have flow unless you have a faucet open. Unless you have a leak or a stuck check valve. It is not uncommon to have water line leaks especially in the area of the kitchen lines. Unfortunately you can't see them without removing the two panels mentioned earlier. I would start in the kitchen faucet/water pump areas.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
BoulderGal View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:16am
Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions.  Heading to work but will check everything I can this evening!!!  
BoulderGal
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:23am
Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:24am
Frustrating to have this happen.

100% agree with Mike and his thought process.  If you pull your mattress off, you can remove the first panel of plywood (about 4 screws) and the access panel under the sink, then everything you need to see for water access is right in those areas.  

I would agree with earlier comments and suspect that your check valve is bypassing water and you likely have a leak there as well.  The water in your storage compartment would be coming from that same area and just flowing back.  

Hope you figure it out, nothing more frustrating than water leaks.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
crazycoyote View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:56am
Same thing happened to me. Bad city water check valve, lets water leak through to your water holding tank in your trailer. The way its put together, it's quite a project to change it out. So I used an easy fix by turning off the city water to your trailer, and use your water in your water tank in your trailer, at least till you run it down to almost empty before you turn on the city water again, then watch your tank gauges that you don't fill up your tank again for an overflow. TURN OFF your city water when you leave your trailer for the day, so it doesn't fill up your water tank while you are gone. I am back on the desert for the winter, BUT still didn't replace the check valve yet. Kind of a job in these trailers to get to the location. Good Luck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:08am
This is why I've never used my city water connection. I'm not sure what the city water connection does for you that you can't do by simply filling the tank from the city water as needed and using the 12V pump to provide pressure. Reduced wear on the pump maybe? With all the concerns about over pressure on the city water line I'd rather just avoid the leaks. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>