Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRpod Furnace - Event Date: 30 Oct 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Rpod Furnace
    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 6:55pm
Both my brothers had Harley's.  Unfortunately my neighbor, while riding his Harley about 4 miles north of where we live, hit a deer last week and died.  Pretty sad deal, he was only 56 and retired. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 6:59pm
Oh Man. I sold my last Harley in 96. I restored a 65 Honda Dream several years back, it sits in my building. I need to sell it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 7:00pm
Jato, sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Y'all really seem to have a deer problem up there. Looks like regular firearm deer hunting season doesn't open for a couple more weeks in MI, sounds like your DNR should open that up more.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
wooleeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by Leo B

Thanks David. We lucked out and ended up being in Myrtle beach for part of Bike Week!! Saw some amazing Harley's!!

Great! I got "out of the saddle" a few years back. I decided my back side was getting a little to old and fragile to be sliding and tumbling across the pavement. Road rash is a painful thing!    Way too many distracted drivers out there.

I still admire a nice bike and, on occasion, miss riding, however.

Got my road rash over 13 years ago in Cleveland, TN courtesy of a driver falling asleep at the wheel at 65mph and hitting my wife and I from behind.   I still ride but not near as enjoyable as it once was. Arthritis setting in.  My bike will be on eBay in the spring.  I know I'll miss it and am hoping traveling with the pod will somewhat replace it.
2022 RP-202
2016 RP-179 (Sold 9/2020)
2014 Silverado Crew Cab. 6-1/2' Bed
Golden Retriever (DOB 6/16/2020)
English Bulldog (RIP 6/15/2020)
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 7:43pm
Jato, sorry to hear that! I have had 4-5 close calls with deer, hit one skunk...…..luckily that was on my old Yamaha. Still will never forget that one
Have gotten buzzed by numerous cars. It does seem to be getting worse each year.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by David

Originally posted by Leo B

We used our furnace several times on the way home from our recent road trip. I was really impressed with how comfortable it kept the inside of the pod. Couple of the nights were in the 40's and a few in the low 30's.

I've always been pleased with the furnaces in these things. Quite comfy when compared to my yesteryears of tent camping. My biggest complaint is the power consumption when dry camping. They use a lot of battery quick.

I think leaving the vent open is a good move. Mine is open year round, for that purpose.

Glad you had a good and safe trip!

I helped with Scouts Jamboree on the Air a couple weekends ago and found the only real concern I have with the furnace.  t ran for the first time when I had my portable amateur radio station in use and the blower motor is very noisy RF wise.  It wiped out my station when running and even effected the station in the trailer next to ours.  We were nice and warm though.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I helped with Scouts Jamboree on the Air a couple weekends ago and found the only real concern I have with the furnace.  t ran for the first time when I had my portable amateur radio station in use and the blower motor is very noisy RF wise.  It wiped out my station when running and even effected the station in the trailer next to ours.  We were nice and warm though.
[/QUOTE]

Great on working the JOTA! Maybe you inspired a few to take up the hobby. I didn't operate in it or much of anything else this month, as I have been up to my eyebrows in other stuff.

Now that you mention it, my furnace is RF noisy, though maybe not as bad as you experience (maybe S5-7? - Yaesu FT-857D). My worst offenders are my generator, followed by my inverter (for the television). Even my bath fan does some. I've not attempted any sort of "cure". I just don't use the stuff when operating.

Operating portable is fun. I usually set up something when out haunting a campground.   

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:57am
Possible rf noise "fixes" if you want to  dig into it:

There's an easy fix for the inverter if that's only for the TV, just swap for a dual voltage TV and add a cig lighter receptacle for it.  $130 or so on Amazon, mounts right up. You can still use it on ac when you're on hookups if you want to. Saves energy too.

The genny can be moved further away with a long extension cord. 

The heater fan is more challenging, it's an old school brushed motor and the rf is presumably from arcing on the commutator. Unfortunately there probably aren't any off the shelf modern brushless motors that can replace it.  Catalytic heater or muffin fan driven water to air heat exchangers using the water heater as the source. There is a thread on that on this forum. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

If you have a good idea of the frequency range you're getting interference on, you may want to try some snap-on toroids on the power cords. Now some of the interference you're getting may be actual RF, but I've found a lot of it is transmitted out through the power cords. We have used snap-on toroids from a company called Fair-Rite, and they have worked wonders when we've encountered this type of interference. The key is knowing what frequency range you want to suppress. Their catalog of devices is quite large, but I can attest to the fact that they really work as long as you're familiar with the frequencies you need to clean up. Snap one or two of these puppies on the power cord as close to the device (furnace or generator in this case), and you would be amazed.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:51am
Since it effected the station in the trailer 50 feet away, and looked like hash on his panadapter, I chose to shut the furnace off and heated with an electric heater.  It is rare that I would work portable when needing heat, so my solution is like David's.

I have never noticed any noise from the generator.  We have no inverter, and don't watch TV much when camping.  It has taken seven years to even have this one experience.  Thanks for the suggestions.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>